Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dont mean to defend elon itt but he's 47 and grimes is 30 which passes the creep formula, but just barely (age/2 + 7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i am allergic to most alloys so i don't wear any jewelry including watches

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

grimes strikes me as a kid who got access to too much money at way too young of age, and as a result is sort of a magnet to poor choices. it’s hard for me to imagine what it would actually be like being married to a legit billionaire. before all the elon bullshit I always thought she was kind of a phony musician, especially after watching a nardwuar interview where he gave her gifts making references to samples that were made on her albums. she legitimately had no idea what he was talking about and inadvertently made it clear she had very little part in the production of her music. her kids will no doubt need therapy but there’s probably way worse unloving parents out there, no doubt. one of my kids is already in therapy so it’s not like im pretending to be perfect myself. life is weird but most people try to do what they think is best

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 27, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nard is a canadian legend. it’s hard to pick a favorite but this tommy chong one from 93 is one of them

https://youtu.be/bGhBodZP1Jw

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 27, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

SpaceAceJase posted:

Remember zuck livestreaming himself smoking meat on a BBQ. Psychotic.

Esp because I don't think you ever see the meat at any point in the stream

https://youtu.be/M930FDIaSLA

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

remember when elon said he would give twitter an edit tweet button as soon as he took over lol

turns out it’s no surprise he has no idea how scalability works or what a fan-out pattern is

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 12, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Xakura posted:

The right amount to work when you have billions of dollars is zero, goddamn

the real proof he has no idea what he’s doing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

one of my fav eddie murphy bits has to be the one about the "mcdonalds" hamburger his mom used to make.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i only learned about radon relatively recently and i was very incredulous but apparently it's a real thing

basements giving u cancer

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

two channels that have long videos with extremely good content to fluff ratio is tech ingredients and applied science. it actually surprises me how they can speak about something for so long without rambling or even without using filler words like “ummmm” or “uhhhh” - it’s just an expert speaking about something they are very knowledgeable about and I don’t even care when they’re 45+ minutes long

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

I always feel like this, even when I am awake. just clueless

same

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Shumagorath posted:

The original article is an all-time great among “Man’s Bloodstream enjoys sole hour between caffeine and alcohol” and “Dog experiences best day of his life for 437th consecutive day”.

its the razor one right? ur right, i loved that one

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have never had a dream about work that i can remember but i still occasionally have dreams that im late for class and cant find the classroom

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

TCC was like peeking behind the curtain into a world I would otherwise have no exposure to in my daily life. poo poo was wild

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

twitter was wild in the late 00s. as an 80s kid, the concept of celebrity was so far out of reach to you - you saw them on tv and movies but there was no way you could find out about your favorite movie star or musician unless you read an interview in a magazine or saw something on tv. nevermind the possibility to actually interact with them. and then twitter came around and you could basically eavesdrop on real time conversations, and sometimes arguments, between your idols. some accounts were obviously run by publicists but others were genuine and it was kind of an unreal, first time in history, kind of feeling to be part of. i dunno if gen z will have the same experience tbh. thank u for reading my essay on how Twitter was once kinda cool

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

people that drive slower than me are idiots and people that drive faster than me are maniacs

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah we'll just have to disagree here i think

was trying to break up the careposting with a poo poo post

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im terminally forgetful so i appreciate the places that still have plastic bags lol

i have a huge collection of cloth “ah gently caress, forgot my reusable bags at home, guess I’ll buy more” bags that hardly ever get used now because i keep forgetting them at home. happens several times a month. I usually just bring them to people’s houses when I’m bringing other poo poo like drinks or whatever, and then just leave them there

yes i am aware the smart thing would be to just leave some in my car at all times

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 30, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah but then you bring the full bags into the house and then they stay there because you forgot to put them back in the car and you're right back where you started

lol yes ive already gone down this road

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

in my parents neighborhood they do random spot checks of your curbside recycle bins and give you a smiley face sticker if you do a good job lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dsyp

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

kirkland alkalines leak if you take them out of your sight for 30 minutes. if you have kids with toys you will be cleaning leaks out of battery compartments on the reg

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't be a wuss, get out your bench power supply and recharge those alkalines

https://goughlui.com/2018/08/05/project-examining-capacity-of-recharged-alkaline-aa-batteries/

lol @ this comment

"My mom had a friend working at a Photo store and would bring a ~1kg bag of AA cells fished out of recycle basket every 1-2 months. I sorted them out looking for >1V ones, which wasnt too hard as most came from early digital cameras notorious for very high voltage cutoff, and tried light recharging in modified NiMH charger. More than half came out great, rest either didnt take the charge or pissed base all over the place. Easy source of free AA batteries, perfectly usable in clocks, toys, flashlights, and other non critical use scenarios. I did that for almost 10 years, until Lion cells became popular/affordable."

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the idea of needing to be responsible with waste, especially waste that isn't immediately dangerous, is a relatively new concept for us i think. it almost seems like human nature to shrug off small incremental changes as non consequential. our brains have a real hard time dealing with big picture, future risk/benefit types of things usually

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

good god lol I love stories like that

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

early mid 2000s was my indie backpacker rap phase. also modest mouse

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it occurred to me today how long boston dynamics has spent trying to get their robots to handle real life scenarios, and yet all of the videos they release, while still very impressive, demonstrate very controlled environments where the robots are likely to succeed. it really highlights just how difficult it is to factor in so many different variables.

it’s bonkers that tesla has allowed their software to exist in the wild and make quite literally so many life or death decisions

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

cant wait until the used car market is flooded with vehicles that are essentially bricked because the servers that are required to control the ac and windows are all offline

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have been spoiled by lame vbr because plex converts music to 128 opus which i assumed would be fine, turns out it's just okay and i was surprised to be able to hear lovely artifacts in the cymbals occasionally

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

susan b buffering posted:

128 opus should be transparent. something else is up.

Beeftweeter posted:

opus absolutely should sound better than lame vbr at 128 kbps (cbr or otherwise). check if there's encoding settings

huh, I dunno. maybe it tries 128 but drops lower if cell reception is bad (part of my commute is outside of the city). i read somewhere that plex added on-the-fly quality adjusting to prevent stuttering which i thought was just for video, but could be for music too :shrug:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

maybe i just have golden ears :smug:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I obsessively seek out new music and have an obscene amount of flac files, not because I prefer to listen to lossless, but more so because I started obsessing about not having to transcode when i converted it to mp3 for my portable devices. i started ripping my cd collection in around 2007 or so and continued buying and ripping cds (and then keeping them in a box never to be seen by light again) until around the time covid finally broke the thrift store habit I had. plus a lot of downloads.

I have about 1.5 TB of music which is probably nothing compared to some people's movie or tv libraries, but it makes all of the playlist-building AI features of plex really fun and i'm always rediscovering old music in my library.

i've had more last.fm scrobbles in 2022 than any year prior, which is kind of crazy. the lulls in my listening habits oddly match up with periods of depression. strange how that works

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 27, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the only time i ever listened to sirius was when i was sitting in my mother in law's (at the time) jeep and scanning through channels, and there was some talk radio show where a girl was asking if it was normal for her boyfriend to enjoy watching her sit on the toilet so he could see the cum drain out of her rear end after anal sex

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i do remember it was quite bad audio quality

the jeep also had a label on the entertainment center that said "hard disc[sic] drive" which made me grimace

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

plexamp rules

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nice! it works even better if you actively rate songs, too, because I am pretty sure it uses the sonic similarity thing to sprinkle in more stuff it think you'd like and less of what you don't. it's really nice that there's still this kind of attention being paid to software that honestly feels more and more niche every year with everything going streaming

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the video side of plex added support to integrate all the video streaming services like netflix, hulu, prime, disney+, hbomax, apple tv into plex itself. no idea how it works because i've never tried it but it's possible they could one day do the same for music but idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i don't remember what my first mp3 was but it was definitely over mirc on 28.8