Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

After converting the GNU Emacs repository to Git a few years back, Eric S Raymond has been working on the massive undertaking of transferring the GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) repository in full over to Git. But the transition to GCC Git is being hampered since due to the massive size of the repository, Raymond's system is running under extreme memory pressure with 64GB of RAM.

ESR provided an update on the GCC repository conversion process. He has managed to solve the only known remaining technical bug that's been blocking the repository, but now he can't get the process completed since he's over-running memory capacity. His primary workstation has 64GB of DDR4 memory and that's turned out to not be enough for the GNU Compiler Collection repository with more than a quarter million commits over the past three decades.

Due to more DDR4 memory being "hideously expensive", he's figuring out alternatives. While the GNU has the GCC compile farm with multiple systems having 128GB+ of RAM, ESR believes his system is faster and better tuned for the memory-heavy workloads. Among the measures being now attempted are running the process with his web-browser shutdown to conserve memory and potentially shifting some code from Python to the Go programming language, but that could prove to be very tedious.

Eric further elaborated, "The truth is we're near the bleeding edge of what conventional tools and hardware can handle gracefully. Most jobs with working sets as big as this one's do only comparatively dumb operations that can be parallellized and thrown on a GPU or supercomputer. Most jobs with the algorithmic complexity of repository surgery have *much* smaller working sets. The combination of both extrema is hard."

Some developers have talked about chipping in money so ESR can upgrade the RAM in his system and there is also the fact that the GNU/FSF does collect money for different causes (such as the FSF GNU Toolchain Fund) could potentially be tapped. We'll see what happens but he wants to act on it sooner rather than later as the GCC repository only continues getting larger by the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Tankakern posted:

running the process with his web-browser shutdown to conserve memory

well besides that i'm out of ideas. sorry esr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
he should try threatening it with armed revolution if it doesn’t work the way he wants

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i could never provide monetary assistance to a baby boomer, sorry.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i thought esr was busy solving hard ai problems

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tankakern posted:

He has managed to solve the only known remaining technical bug that's been blocking the repository, but now he can't get the process completed

:thunk:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

esr wants to shoot minorities then ram his alpha cock in the awe struck sjw hotties

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do it from an aws vm with tons of memory? what the gently caress is the problem here

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yes let's do this all as one giant atomic operation that has to keep all file contents and history in memory

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
has he considered a ram doubler, op?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

do it from an aws vm with tons of memory? what the gently caress is the problem here

he's a talentless retard fuckwit.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
try setting pack size limit and window memory, that worked for me

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

he needs $2000

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

this is the stupidest thing ive seen all week and ive been on these forums a lot

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's now safe to turn on your monitor.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
esr wants your cum

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

git init

hth esr

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

why is this an O(n^2) problem and who would throw money at esr

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
please tell me he's going full wopr just to make another copy of this

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm still angry at whoever posted that thread that was titled something like "eric s raymond dead in car accident at age 56" like 5 years ago which turned out to be fake news of the worst sort

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
DDR4 is hideously expensive? drat, I think he forgot about DDR/DDR2 pricing

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

also just increase your swap space

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
push the turbo button

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

CommieGIR posted:

DDR4 is hideously expensive? drat, I think he forgot about DDR/DDR2 pricing

rambus :russbus:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
prescott p4, rdram, winme, sick pc

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

did somebody say

ram?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

prescott p4, rdram, winme, sick pc

so sick it should be shot

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
esr called black people alien poo poo zombies

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

he’s bad

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 10, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

esr called black people alien poo poo zombies

git rm —cache

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what a loving idiot.

but his idiocy aside, git is very bad for large repos. like, really really bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We don't talk about RAMBUS

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Heck yeah hes a

R acist
A sshole
M anchild

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

The Management posted:

what a loving idiot.

but his idiocy aside, git is very bad for large repos. like, really really bad.

It would be funny if the fsf ends up having to use Microsoft gvfs to work on gcc

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

It’s plausible that rms could have put a condition on him not to use any pooprietary government-linked systems for the migration

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Im the multiple root revisions from when gnu merged all its compiler projects together

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Among the measures being now attempted are running the process with his web-browser shutdown to conserve memory and potentially shifting some code from Python to the Go programming language, but that could prove to be very tedious.
Lmao don’t miss this part

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yospos project: let’s murder esr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

OldAlias posted:

yospos project: let’s murder esr

i've got an untraceable gun and a toyota previa with half a tank of gas

• Locked thread