Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Lmao don’t miss this part

Please give money so I can buy more ram, hold on a sec tho I haven't tried to close my browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Oh man, what a dork. What a complete ego heavy dork.

quote:

Offer of help with move to git

I learned on G+ that there's discussion of moving the GCC repository to git going on. Some of you might already be aware that I did both the groff CVS -> git conversion and the Emacs bzr -> git conversion, and am pretty much the go-to guy for high-quality conversions of important projects. Since I rate GCC as an extremely important project, I'm willing to be helpful with yours.

How could he type this back in 2015 with such a giant cross to bear. This task simply cannot be done, cannot be done correctly unless I am the one to do it.

3 years pass...

quote:

The one technical change that might help is moving reposurgeon from Python to Go - I might hope for as much as a 10x drop in runtimes from that and a somewhat smaller decrease in working set. Unfortunately while the move is theoretically possible (I've scoped the job) that too would be very hard and take a long time. It's 14KLOC of the most algorithmically dense Python you are ever likely to encounter, with dependencies on Python libraries sans Go equivalents that might double the LOC; only the fact that I built a *really good* regression- and unit-test suite in self-defense keeps it anywhere near to practical. (Before you ask, at the time I started reposurgeon in 2010 there wasn't any really production-ready language that might have been a better fit than Python. I did look. OO languages with GC and compiled speed are still pretty thin on the ground.)

The very personification of gently caress I'm Good, Just Ask Me. He brags about building a really good regression test suite but ... that's really actually quite great, building an awesome regression testing suite feels liberating and I think you should brag about that sort of stuff openly at every opportunity. Don't humblebrag about how complex your code is, brag about how goddamn correct and stable it is.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

if 64gb is too expensive then maybe the loving club-footed moocher could try getting a job!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

Lmao don’t miss this part

I did miss this part. lmao at something getting smaller by converting it to go. nothing is ever smaller written in go.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

homercles posted:

The very personification of gently caress I'm Good, Just Ask Me. He brags about building a really good regression test suite but ... that's really actually quite great, building an awesome regression testing suite feels liberating and I think you should brag about that sort of stuff openly at every opportunity. Don't humblebrag about how complex your code is, brag about how goddamn correct and stable it is.

also LOL that he thinks compiled, fast OO languages with GC are “thin on the ground” when he tries to get so much mileage out of having “been at the MIT AI Lab” (literally as a tourist)

like I know I gimmick it up in the ’pos, but I’d really seriously put Common Lisp towards the top of my list if my criteria were OO+GC+fast, way higher than loving Python

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

if 64gb is too expensive then maybe the loving club-footed moocher could try getting a job!
muh scars

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i wouldnt hire eric would you?

however much code he wrote back in the day, he doesn't seem motivated to write any now beyond int -> bool conversions. then throw in the arrogance and irritating personality and the EEO risk

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 10, 2018

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

however much code he wrote back in the day, he doesn't seem motivated to write any now beyond int -> bool conversions. then throw in the arrogance and irritating personality and the EEO risk

Never hire an rear end in a top hat, no matter how good he might be (and esr isn't anyway)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

a known racist misogynist libtard gun nut pua who can’t convert a repository to a different repository in under 64 gigs of RAM? hmm, let me ponder that

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

he really reminds me of someone i went to college with who has been unemployed for 15 years because he won't apply for anything except top-tier programming jobs, despite not having written a line of code in a decade, and not knowing anything newer than C89 and Turbo Pascal

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 10, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
That’s quite a self-own considering both were outmoded by 1997

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

he really reminds me of someone i went to college with who has been unemployed for 15 years because he won't apply for anything except top-tier programming jobs, despite not having written a line of code in a decade, and not knowing anything newer than C89 and Turbo Pascal

:stare: Uh....how does he think this works?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tankakern posted:

running the process with his web-browser shutdown

a good start

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

this is the greatest story ever told: http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
steps we've taken so far:

not running DOOM 2016 while compiling

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

however much code he wrote back in the day,

he didn’t

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

lol

quote:

You might find this interesting (I did send Eric a copy of my bug list some time ago -- he responded with several patches that made the list longer by introducing more bugs -- so I'm rather reluctant to add to my overhead).

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I wrote to Eric, advising him that I would not put his patch in that week, because I could see problems with it.

Eric replied, saying

You have no right to do this,
for I am an author of ncurses,
and you are not.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
god esr's writing style is insufferable

I just picture him gesturing grandiosely while typing that

"For I! Am the author. And you! Are not."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

god esr's writing style is insufferable

I just picture him gesturing grandiosely while typing that

"For I! Am the author. And you! Are not."

this somehow has to be a symptom of being a libertarian shitlord, because they ALL write just like that - as if everything they say is supposed to be some kind of grand proclamation or rousing speech.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i don't know what's more annoying, esr throwing a five year tantrum about how he's credited on a project he tried to hijack, or the guy who thinks a 40 page long chatlog needs to have every email header quoted in full.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Zlodo posted:

I wrote to Eric, advising him that I would not put his patch in that week, because I could see problems with it.

Eric replied, saying

You have no right to do this,
for I am an author of ncurses,
and you are not.
poetry

btw RMS comes across as unusually pragmatic in that story

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

poetry

Tallest one-eyed dwarf in the kingdom of the blind midgets, really?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ncurses is good software

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

this somehow has to be a symptom of being a libertarian shitlord, because they ALL write just like that - as if everything they say is supposed to be some kind of grand proclamation or rousing speech.

i almost bought a stereo from this dude on CL before i noticed a Zappa quote in his email sig, sure enough,

quote:

Road worker Franklin Stenzel told officers he was checking the Nelson Road intersection when Tiger pulled up in a truck and came "aggressively storming up." He engaged in a profanity-laced shouting match with Stenzel before threatening, "I'm coming back with a gun."

Stenzel told police he wasn't afraid initially because "Lots of people make threats like that."

But when Tiger returned with a handgun on his right hip holster, Stenzel called for help on his two-way radio. Stenzel said Tiger gripped the gun, released the holster strap and said, "I bet you'll have a civil tongue about you now, won't you?"

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_13085735

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gazpacho posted:

poetry

it would take serious effort to look bad next to esr

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i used to have a sick bootdisk for this exact scenario, maybe he should try adjusting the FILES and BUFFERS settings?

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Seriouspost: why is this not just being doing in the :butt:?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

i almost bought a stereo from this dude on CL before i noticed a Zappa quote in his email sig, sure enough,

that dude's gonna get brainworms some day and actually draw and fire.

read a newspaper article the other day which was basically "a terrifying shitload of gun owners are starting to lose their marbles as they get older, and they are liable to kill the people around them either out of total senility or lashing out in unpredictable rage"

one example was an old woman who was shot by her husband by accident. the man should not have a gun any more, and yet not only was she not angry at him and absolutely refused to press any sort of charge on him, she didn't even want his guns taken from him

we're at the top of the coaster here

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
esr can have my ram when he pries it from my fat, clammy hands

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

You have no right to my patches,
for I am a sovereign citizen of ncurses,
and you are not.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sweevo posted:

it’s called Rand-Heinlein Syndrome

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

prescott p4, rdram, winme, sick pc

fu ck you

coppermine or go home

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Silver Alicorn posted:

fu ck you

coppermine or go home

northwood

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i worked with a guy who used to work with paul.

one day he ran into paul, who was sitting on the curb outside a bank, just chilling downtown. they started chatting and after a minute or two my coworker heard sirens -- and it clicked that paul was open-carrying his handgun in a hip holster. my coworker said "okay, bye paul, nice seeing you," cause yup, paul had just come from the bank, where he had a lively conversation with the folks inside. no threats were made but somebody got scared enough that the police pulled right up to paul as my coworker walked away.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
have you tried running reposurgeon.exe with the -Xmx 65536MB command line switch, OP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

handle posted:

i worked with a guy who used to work with paul.

one day he ran into paul, who was sitting on the curb outside a bank, just chilling downtown. they started chatting and after a minute or two my coworker heard sirens -- and it clicked that paul was open-carrying his handgun in a hip holster. my coworker said "okay, bye paul, nice seeing you," cause yup, paul had just come from the bank, where he had a lively conversation with the folks inside. no threats were made but somebody got scared enough that the police pulled right up to paul as my coworker walked away.

aside: this is one of the best random out of nowhere posts this subforum has ever seen

on topic: the dude basically singlehandedly got open carry banned from all longmont city properties. if we could just take the bullets from his guns and send him in our preferred directions he'd have pistols banned statewide by next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's a paul world

• Locked thread