Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Oh man, what a dork. What a complete ego heavy dork.

quote:

Offer of help with move to git

I learned on G+ that there's discussion of moving the GCC repository to git going on. Some of you might already be aware that I did both the groff CVS -> git conversion and the Emacs bzr -> git conversion, and am pretty much the go-to guy for high-quality conversions of important projects. Since I rate GCC as an extremely important project, I'm willing to be helpful with yours.

How could he type this back in 2015 with such a giant cross to bear. This task simply cannot be done, cannot be done correctly unless I am the one to do it.

3 years pass...

quote:

The one technical change that might help is moving reposurgeon from Python to Go - I might hope for as much as a 10x drop in runtimes from that and a somewhat smaller decrease in working set. Unfortunately while the move is theoretically possible (I've scoped the job) that too would be very hard and take a long time. It's 14KLOC of the most algorithmically dense Python you are ever likely to encounter, with dependencies on Python libraries sans Go equivalents that might double the LOC; only the fact that I built a *really good* regression- and unit-test suite in self-defense keeps it anywhere near to practical. (Before you ask, at the time I started reposurgeon in 2010 there wasn't any really production-ready language that might have been a better fit than Python. I did look. OO languages with GC and compiled speed are still pretty thin on the ground.)

The very personification of gently caress I'm Good, Just Ask Me. He brags about building a really good regression test suite but ... that's really actually quite great, building an awesome regression testing suite feels liberating and I think you should brag about that sort of stuff openly at every opportunity. Don't humblebrag about how complex your code is, brag about how goddamn correct and stable it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

You have no right to my patches,
for I am a sovereign citizen of ncurses,
and you are not.

• Locked thread