Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

We all have players on our teams that we'll hold in high regard until the end of time. We also have guys who were so awful they also somehow stick in our memories until we die.

However, there's one type of player that I feel is extremely underappreciated, and in this offseason we should give the guy a little time in the spotlight before we inevitably forget about them again. I'm talking about the Mediocre RB.

They don't usually put a game on their back, and aren't really that flashy. At the same time they are good enough that when you see them line up for a play, you don't really even acknowledge it. They also happen to stick around forever. Sometimes you are still surprised to see they are still on your team's roster, but because they aren't that bad or that good, you really don't care that much.

Sometimes you'll see them on another team without realizing he was cut from your own. But through all those years they lined up and gave your team a few yards here or there, maybe even busted for a big run every few games.

Tell me about your Justin Forsetts, your lawfirms, and your Willis McGahees before we once again move on to forgetting about them. TFF, tell me about your favorite Mediocre RBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Justin Fargas

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

He had a great nick name, and he never fumbled. Then he became a Bengal.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

We salute you LaMont Jordan, the guy who makes NFL go "lol oh yeah"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue4Xj7TxZJQ

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

I was thinking of Andre Ellington, had totally forgotten about LSH.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

here to discuss Glen Coffee

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Ronnie Brown Lmao

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
God bless fred jackson

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Patriots back in '94 signed Marion Butts, the mediocre former Charger to be their lead back.

He was so loving bad at running the ball that they instead just let Drew Bledsoe throw the ball 700 times that season and my love of football was born.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Chris Brown loving ruled

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

beanie

loving

wells

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
I'm here for Super Bowl Champion James Starks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Was there ever a more one-and-done running back than Jonas Gray?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000429734/Week-11-Jonas-Gray-highlights

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i feel the pats and the steelers (outside of le'veon bell of course) probably have the biggest stable of mediocre rbs

also probably the entirety of the AFCE now that i think about it

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sour Diesel posted:

i feel the pats and the steelers (outside of le'veon bell of course) probably have the biggest stable of mediocre rbs

also probably the entirety of the AFCE now that i think about it

Sammy Morris had a 12 year NFL career as a RB which is pretty incredible and spent 4 in Buffalo, 3 in Miami then 4 in New England.

He had 3000 career rushing yards.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Napoleon Kaufman

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On the other hand I will go ahead and mention Kevin Faulk who I loath to call mediocre, but truth be told he was never really used that much.

He also played 12 seasons, but all in New England, and ended his career with nearly identical rushing and receiving numbers

3600 rushing yards, 16 rushing TDs
3700 receiving yards, 15 receiving TDs.

Then he gets replaced by Danny Woodhead, who I liked before PFTCommenter made him a meme.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Donald Eugene Brown II.

The Colts didn't even want Brown. They were 100% all in on Clay Matthews, but Green Bay grabbed him the pick before and the Colts didnt have a backup plan. Even so...he played. Played 5 years for the Colts. Wasn't terrible. Wasn't good enough to get the starter position. He eventually lost his roster spot to Vic Ballard and TRENT RICHARDSON.

Here he is on a burner account trying to drum up excitement:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/8su2b5/why_hasnt_anyone_signed_donald_brown/

Here is Andrew Luck bailing Donald out:

And the ever classic, you know you hosed up when Peyton Manning takes time during a play to curse your name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttfyOeU3vw

He got drafted, and Peyton yelled at him; that's pretty much everything of note.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Joique Bell owns owned bitch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Cedric Benson, Rashaan salaam, Curtis enis

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
The most mediocre RB to ever grace the cover of Madden

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I freaking miss LaDanian Tomlinson

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Chris. Perry.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
bless the god Correll Buckhalter

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Uterine Lineup posted:

Napoleon Kaufman

Napoleon McCallum was more memorable.

For the wrongest reason.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Athanatos posted:

Donald Eugene Brown II.

The Colts didn't even want Brown. They were 100% all in on Clay Matthews, but Green Bay grabbed him the pick before and the Colts didnt have a backup plan. Even so...he played. Played 5 years for the Colts. Wasn't terrible. Wasn't good enough to get the starter position. He eventually lost his roster spot to Vic Ballard and TRENT RICHARDSON.

Here he is on a burner account trying to drum up excitement:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/8su2b5/why_hasnt_anyone_signed_donald_brown/

And the ever classic, you know you hosed up when Peyton Manning takes time during a play to curse your name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttfyOeU3vw

He got drafted, and Peyton yelled at him; that's pretty much everything of note.

GOD DAMMIT DONALD!!!!

Also I'm submitting Joseph Addai's name for consideration.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Amos Zereoue

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Ron Dayne

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Theres a guy on the bengals named Cedric Peerman. This is probably finally the year he gets canned.

Let's take a look at his career stats.

Cedric Peerman is a special teams stalwart and has filled an important role.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Samkon Gado

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

Off topic but man I'd forgotten that it was Eric Berry making a potentially game saving play (or it would have ended up that), and then everything goes sideways.

That's the most Chiefs playoff thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best were the old 90's style giant fat running backs that became pretty rare after Bettis, but god, remember Sam Gash? or Bam Morris.

Thank you Eddie Lacey and Blount for keeping the tubby boys alive. Brandon Jacobs thanks you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hell yeah Leroy Hoard

If you need one yard he'll get you three.

If you need four yards he'll get you three.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Brandon Jacobs was a legit athlete sorry

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Maybe for like two years...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Doltos posted:

his peak was too high for him to be considered mediocre

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

his peak was too high for him to be considered mediocre

I mean the OP cites Willis McGahee who was actually pretty good for a while (that may be :thejoke:), so Jacobs fits here I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

willis was probably too high of a bar, my b

• Locked thread