Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Reggie Bush

He was so up and down. He was like 950-1000 yards both seasons in Miami. I just feel very “he wasn’t that bad!” And “he wasn’t that great” at the same time,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

I think you got that phrase right because he was an undrafted free agent but he did get a lot of hype. Didn't pan out, obviously, and in fact he's unemployed right now.

I googled it questioning myself and apparently it's supposed to mean something like a loud brash person who's heart is in the right place and their good qualities are hidden because they're a jerk?

I assumed it meant like, an uncut diamond as in once you cut it it becomes much more valuable.

Huh, Merriam Webster which is probably much more reliable than random google results says ": one having exceptional qualities or potential but lacking refinement or polish" which is much closer to how I always understood the phrase. I'll go with I had it right in the first place.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I understood it more as "a thing of great value with an origin that belies that value"; in this case a good running back who was drafted as a free agent.

Most of my understanding of this phrase comes from Aladdin so...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I thought CJ Spiller was going to be the next LeSean McCoy. That 2012 season was crazy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This video reminded me about Toby Gerhart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWVwZIsst8

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

a neat cape posted:

Yeah and he was never a top 5 RB in like, any season

Yes but that is far from mediocre. Isiah Crowell is mediocre, Frank Gore is good to very good.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Quiet Feet posted:

I thought CJ Spiller was going to be the next LeSean McCoy. That 2012 season was crazy.

I mean, good on him for not becoming the next shady?

Also Frank gore is deffo mediocre. He's serviceable. Hall of alright.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'd buy an argument that Frank Gore is the Vinny Testaverde of RBs if only because that means the Emmitt Smith is likewise a mediocre stat compiler.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Man I miss Marcel Reece.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

iwentdoodie posted:

Also Frank gore is deffo mediocre. He's serviceable. Hall of alright.

Mediocre is hangs around on rosters and performs okish, not a bellcow for 12 consecutive years.

I seriously don't understand the Frank Gore hate in this place.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Do you guys even know what mediocre means? I would argue that it's literally impossible for a guy who was the prime back on his team for many years to be mediocre; that is high above average for guys who play that position in the NFL. Also he's good. He wasn't even bad last year at all and that's at the very end of his career. Not mediocre imo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

here are the tiers for those of you who are so confused

elite

mediocre

poo poo

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Play posted:

Do you guys even know what mediocre means?
no

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Mediocre running back means you're not worried about the position going into the season, but it wouldn't hurt to look for an upgrade in the coming draft.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cash Monet posted:

Mediocre running back means you're not worried about the position going into the season, but it wouldn't hurt to look for an upgrade in the coming draft.

Ah, the RB version of the Alex Smith conundrum.

(different things but I'd call Alex "good" for the record, just since not absolutely needing a quarterback is a good place to be)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cash Monet posted:

you have to be coming off a 1k yard season to not be worried though. like, andre ellington was never mediocre then. beanie wells was mediocre for maybe 1 season.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i guess that owns all of the frank gore non haters though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mediocre running back means they are right in the middle: the average back is NOT their team's star running back. So guys who a team would willingly trade year to year; bit players; guys drafted high but didn't work out and lost the starting job, etc. IMO a dude who owns the first string spot for years upon years is not mediocre. Obviously everyone is going to have a different opinion on what the average back is like and that's fine

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mediocre running back means your dumb rear end coach uses him for no loving reason and he vultures TDs and kills drives all game long

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Mediocre running back means your dumb rear end coach uses him for no loving reason and he vultures TDs and kills drives all game long

Also this

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
"He doesn't fumble"

Reuben loving Droughns doesn't get more than 2 yards either, Kevin

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

Mediocre running back means they are right in the middle: the average back is NOT their team's star running back. So guys who a team would willingly trade year to year; bit players; guys drafted high but didn't work out and lost the starting job, etc. IMO a dude who owns the first string spot for years upon years is not mediocre. Obviously everyone is going to have a different opinion on what the average back is like and that's fine

yeah, although it's tough in a thread dedicated to mediocre rbs, so there's already some talent bias towards benjarvus green-ellis than say william powell

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The first running back (for my team) I remember is Herman Heard.

The man was decidedly mediocre.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Doltos posted:

"He doesn't fumble"

Reuben loving Droughns doesn't get more than 2 yards either, Kevin

Droughns was just good enough in 2005 to convince one browns fan here, shooter mcgavin i think was his username, that he and Charlie frye were going to be the heart and soul of an up an coming browns team of contenders. Turns out nah

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
haven't read the thread, posting frank gore

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The “Frank Gore is mediocre” hot takes sure are hot but they aren’t anywhere near as hot as those people’s inevitable melt downs when he gets into the Hall of Fame.

As for a real example: Glen “I’ve already told Christ it’s time to go” Coffee

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
haven't read the thread, posting frank gore

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
Tim Biakabutuka. Or hell, just every Panthers running back in the entire history of the franchise, except maybe DeAngelo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PantherWill posted:

Tim Biakabutuka. Or hell, just every Panthers running back in the entire history of the franchise, except maybe DeAngelo.
I was going to defend Tim B and say he was decent before his knee exploded, but the numbers say he was totally mediocre.

Cam Newton is 3rd on the Panthers all time rushing yards list behind J Stew and DeAngelo. For a team that depends on the run they sure don't have many marquee running backs.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Earnest Graham. But you gotta give him credit for performing as well, if not slightly better than the constantly injured Cadillac Williams, they guy he backed up over the course of way too many seasons. Mediocre overall, but everything you could reasonably want in a backup. Year in and year out, he consistently did not suck, which was his job and why I remember his name and forgotten a bunch of other arguably better RB's. He's got my vote for best mediocre RB.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Theres a guy on the bengals named Cedric Peerman. This is probably finally the year he gets canned.

Let's take a look at his career stats.

Cedric Peerman is a special teams stalwart and has filled an important role.

I love Ced as long as he isn't getting offensive snaps.

Bernard Scott is my fav bengals mediocre HB.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Update: Sproles has nearly 20k all purpose yards and is doing one more season. I withdraw his name from this thread. :backtowork:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

surprised no one mentioned knile davis yet

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Antowain Smith. I remember he was the Patriots' primary back between like 2000-2005 and on a team of utterly unremarkable guys, he somehow was even more unremarkable.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Not even a Ravens fan but I was a big Le'Ron McClain supporter. Never averaged more than 3.9 yards, but went off in 2008 for 900 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Play posted:

This is a strong argument.

Regarding Gore, I think his pure consistency, craft and persistence puts him well out of the true "mediocre RBs". If nothing else a true mediocre dude would only be in the league like 3-5 years.

From this past season:

Eddie Lacy
Thomas Rawls

2.6 and 2.7 ypc respectively are pushing the definition of mediocre, i'd say they were more "bad" than anything.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
miss u chester

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vhak lord of hate posted:

2.6 and 2.7 ypc respectively are pushing the definition of mediocre, i'd say they were more "bad" than anything.

Harsh but fair. I gave them a bit of a pass because it was such a horrible season for Seattle in the run game but looking into it Chris Carson and JD McKissic both managed over 4 ypc. Lacy especially is clearly done (yet somehow got more attempts than everyone else).

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I know he's been mentioned, but I still can't believe Shonn Greene had back to back 1,000 yard rushing seasons for the Jets. I've never seen an RB so unable to break a tackle. Greene would get into the secondary and someone would just push him and he would fall over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Eifert Posting posted:

I love Ced as long as he isn't getting offensive snaps.

I know who Ced is purely because he has like 79 speed in madden and I always think " who the gently caress would keep a guy that slow on the roster" and every year I'm surprised he's still in the game

Edit - well I just fact checked this and I guess I'm thinking of someone else because he has like 90 speed in madden

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 17, 2018

• Locked thread