Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Uterine Lineup posted:

Napoleon Kaufman

Napoleon McCallum was more memorable.

For the wrongest reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

Here is Andrew Luck bailing Donald out:

Off topic but man I'd forgotten that it was Eric Berry making a potentially game saving play (or it would have ended up that), and then everything goes sideways.

That's the most Chiefs playoff thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

his peak was too high for him to be considered mediocre

I mean the OP cites Willis McGahee who was actually pretty good for a while (that may be :thejoke:), so Jacobs fits here I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Kimble Anders is my favorite mediocre running back. He was a 90's fullback at the height of fullbacks being used as psuedo-tight ends and caught a ton of passes, but not for a whole lot of yards and nothing like Larry Centers or whoever. He was just a functioning fullback who could catch.

One year the Chiefs have poo poo at running back and decide to give Kimble a chance at halfback. He has a mediocre first game. In the second game he goes loving off, 142 yards on 22 carries. Unfortunately on that 22nd carry he tore his achilles and his career was basically over. He came back the next year but it was obvious he wasn't the same and he was basically done.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Barry Sanders has a fair bit more then #2-#4 on the Lions' list combined.

Speaking of, Touchdown Tommy Vardell should be mentioned here.

e: Christ he was drafted 9th overall! I knew this at one point but it's one of those things that is just too ridiculous to remember.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

For real though what happened to this dude

Huh, he apparently quit because of injury+to take care of his brother who has Down Syndrome.

Then he came back the next year to try to play in the CFL, but lost his job to Tre Mason of all people.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tom Sellout posted:

Nick Goings was a sweet running back name

I always like Ran Carthon as a RB name.

e: A total of 16 carries in the NFL. I have no idea why I remember this guy, Florida is why I'm sure but he didn't even have a ton of carries there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Did anyone mention Travis Jervey?

I'm mentioning Travis Jervey, although I"m not sure he was good enough to make it to mediocre.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

Brandon Oliver

Remember that like 2 week period where people thought Branden Oliver was a diamond in the rough?

e: Huh that phrase apparently doesn't mean what I always thought it meant.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

I think you got that phrase right because he was an undrafted free agent but he did get a lot of hype. Didn't pan out, obviously, and in fact he's unemployed right now.

I googled it questioning myself and apparently it's supposed to mean something like a loud brash person who's heart is in the right place and their good qualities are hidden because they're a jerk?

I assumed it meant like, an uncut diamond as in once you cut it it becomes much more valuable.

Huh, Merriam Webster which is probably much more reliable than random google results says ": one having exceptional qualities or potential but lacking refinement or polish" which is much closer to how I always understood the phrase. I'll go with I had it right in the first place.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cash Monet posted:

Mediocre running back means you're not worried about the position going into the season, but it wouldn't hurt to look for an upgrade in the coming draft.

Ah, the RB version of the Alex Smith conundrum.

(different things but I'd call Alex "good" for the record, just since not absolutely needing a quarterback is a good place to be)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The first running back (for my team) I remember is Herman Heard.

The man was decidedly mediocre.

• Locked thread