Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Eventually I'll come up with something to write here, but for now we've got a train to catch, except we have no money, no ticket, and no idea.

OFF-PEAK

One way ticket to the blues

Obcy

The end of Off-Peak leads us to the Norwood Suite, which is a semi-interactive musical album/adventure game coded by professional musicians from Brooklyn, NY.

THE NORWOOD SUITE

Courtney Love

The Head Inside The Skull

A Little Prick

Every Body in the Pool

Room 308

Slice-o-Matic

The Norwood Suit

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
You don't waste anytime do you?

Those character models are disturbing as hell.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

You don't waste anytime do you?
I had the gameplay recorded in case people had voted for the mines a third time.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, at least they said 'corn token' for the first board game so that wasn't hard to find

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-06-tzolkin-the-mayan-calendar-review

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
So...
Was this the arthouse approach to "i plundered a unity assets library and threw some fancy (and not copyright protected) textures and music in it" ?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The music is the one thing they can call their own. The game is like an artsy album wrapper made out of discarded packaging.

https://archiepelago.bandcamp.com/
https://cosmoddd.bandcamp.com/

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

The music is the one thing they can call their own. The game is like an artsy album wrapper made out of discarded packaging.

I am kind of intrigued by the idea of making a video game out of music from a concept album. The Who - Tommy - The Video Game

Could utterly fall flat on its face, but if this would work out somehow sometime in the future, it would be quite the experience. Maybe something between "walking simulator" (like "Gone Home", which used the music tracks to underline the narrative) and "Brütal Legend" with the world's internal logic and visuals being based on the genre.

SelenicMartian posted:

Freak Show by The Residents.

Amazing :allears:
(and i only watched some YT video.)

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 15, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OutofSight posted:

I am kind of intrigued by the idea of making a video game out of music from a concept album.
Freak Show by The Residents.
Mike Oldfield's Music VR.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
quote is not edit.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's time to begin
THE NORWOOD SUITE
for real.

Courtney Love

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

This sure is... a game? It sure is something. Kinda reminds me of Jazzpunk with how the dialogue and instructions are presented as floating text that almost has a physical presence.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Wow, this game is actually really cool. I love the aesthetic.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's like a collision between the asset store, surrealism, and naive art (naive game design?)

EasilyConfused posted:

Those character models are disturbing as hell.
They have a certain look that at least one of the character generator programs available on Steam consistently produces.

OutofSight posted:

I am kind of intrigued by the idea of making a video game out of music from a concept album. The Who - Tommy - The Video Game
Back in the Let's Play Art Games thread someone played through Tres Lunas which I think is a part of the Music VR thing martian mentioned.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I didn't play through Tres Lunas, I only briefly showed off its charms. The sequel was nuts.

The Head Inside The Skull

:siren: Who seems the most curious?

:siren: PICK TWO just in case.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

#6 and #2

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Gonna vote #6 and #4, like the 6/4 time signature that some monster used to write that one bar of music for the piano

Kill it before it spreads!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

#1 and #6.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I’d love to know how the fellow by the pool (#2) is managing to sleep with that stylish mood lighting shining directly into his eyes

also, let’s hear whatever sick beats that lady with the keyboard sweater is laying down (#6)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A Little Prick

:siren: The revised and corrected list of options:

Again, pick two.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Mines

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

^^^nah, we ought to clear out the Burial Grounds

should we still be voting for two at a time? If so, I still want to know how #2 keeps on snoozing, and also let's talk to the band (#4) to see if they're willing to share their drugs wisdom with the piano player. (If we're only voting for one at a time, just count my first suggestion.)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

#2 is my hero, so is the dude with the kegs #5.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This game just loves being weird and pretentious to the point where it forgets to have a point. So to match that I rolled a d8 and got options #3 and #8.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

This game just loves being weird and pretentious to the point where it forgets to have a point. So to match that I rolled a d8 and got options #3 and #8.
There's no #3, it was a dud.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

There's no #3, it was a dud.
Curses, foiled again! :argh: Alright, #4 and #8 then.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
#2 and #8

NGDBSS posted:

This game just loves being weird and pretentious to the point where it forgets to have a point.

"Art is suffering. So you better become a wage slave (with sweet benefits) at %Modulo" might work.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm late on this, but making good ramen is pretty easy, as long as you can get the ingredients.

For the more common shoyu ramen, start with a base of:

1 qt./ 1 L dashi stock
~2 T/ 30 mL soy sauce (i.e. shoyu)
2 T/ 30 mL mirin

Dashi isn't too hard to make (again if you can get the ingredients), but I think the packet-based dashi, the kind where you soak the packet in the water, is the best mix of convenience and quality.

It's the mirin — essentially sweetened rice wine — that adds the necessary balance of sweetness and makes it more like ramen you get from a shop. Don't get the high-alcohol 'hon-mirin' as it's usually imported and heavily taxed, the cheaper stuff is good, as long as there's not too much salt added.

Bring to a boil, and add whatever additions you want. You cook the noodles separately, but they only take a few minutes, so it's best to mix most of the additions in the stock first.

I commonly use:
Chunk of ginger thrown in at the start, then removed before serving
Thinly sliced garlic
Fresh corn if available
Wakame (dried seaweed)
Mushrooms, fresh or dried
onion, or green onion
marinated egg ( boil to the soft stage, then marinate for at least 6 hours in a 1:1:3 solution of mirin:shoyu:water )
Very thinly sliced chicken - done right, it will be very tender
or more seafood based, with kamaboko and a few shrimp/scallops/etc.

Of course, that ramen shop owner mentioned miso, so he was probably making miso ramen. I don't make it as often, but the base is only slightly more complicated.

1 qt./ 1L of chicken stock (low sodium preferably, unless you like saltier soup)
scant 3T/50 mL miso paste
1 T/ 10g white sesame seeds
2 t/10 mL sesame oil

The sesame seeds need to be hand ground, or process them with the sesame oil in a food processor. It's possible to use sesame paste (shiro neri goma) but it's a slightly different flavor and that's probably a harder-to-find ingredient anyway.

A good meat addition for miso ramen is ground pork cooked with ginger and garlic (cook the meat separately).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 24, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Miso ramen seems easier to get the stuff for.

2 ///
4 //
5 /
8 //

OK, let's do the pool guy, and whoever is in the area.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Every Body in the Pool

:siren: Who do we endure next?

+We're looking for a key.
+#308.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

#8 and #5

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

#8 and #1.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
#7 and #8

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I think we should see if we can get some neat promotional stuff from the human billboard in #5. Then we can go smell what those gamesters in #8 are cooking...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Room 308.

Next time, big things happen, and we do get a follow-up to the board game quest.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Creole cuisine is really amazing and I highly recommend trying it.

You'd think that a videogame made by musicians would have a better sense of pacing and rhythm, and yet...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Featuring more scripting errors, modelling errors, and people swimming.

Slice-o-Matic

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This hotel is the kind of place that would give me nightmares if I visited it IRL, mostly because of the random junk glued to the wall, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Oh thank God something's gonna happen finally.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I poo poo you not, next time we'll even see people walking in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

I poo poo you not, next time we'll even see people walking in this game.

The sense of dread is overwhelming.
From what i have seen musicians don't make good visual artists, i guess they don't fare better in animation.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 2, 2018

• Locked thread