Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

T-man posted:

my freezer can barely get the ice to freeze in the summer, it's like -2 degrees or something.

You should get a new freezer (or a second-hand one that actually works) because that doesn't seem like it would be safe to store food in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

IIRC he also tweeted an original painting of a certain Euro Parliament's famous grandfather hanging out

What?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I understand this is peanuts compared to what most people go thru but it’s kinda funny and I’d like to acknowledge the insurance company eventually did failed to do their job after making multiple attempts to get out of it
FTFY. Insurance companies exist to make money, not spend it. Getting out of paying for stuff is their job. It's the goal they're working towards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So like......... why is dental always separate?
Tradition.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/brockway_llc/status/1226921701402824704

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Was that the unfunny boomer one or am I thinking of a different cracked writer?

I think maybe you're thinking of Wayne Gladstone? I don't know. I don't think any of the well-known faces of the site were actually boomers (but I think he was one of the older writers there in the early days) and "unfunny" is, of course, subjective.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure David Wong was even actually Asian. I think John Cheese might be the boomer who got #MeToo'd.
"David Wong" is actually Jason Pargin and is not Asian. John Cheese (Mack Leighty) was fired for sexually harassing several women. Neither of them are boomers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dex_sda posted:

3) how do you even trust the nutrition they put on the containers, you don't know
5) and most importantly, as a brokebrained meathead: how the gently caress do you expect to lose weight, a thing that requires changing your entire life and habits forever, if you can't even make the effort to fix your diet and learn what's good and count calories
There are laws that say that food packaging has to be accurate, and if you literally just only eat the food they send you then you'll be managing your calories without having to work it out yourself. If you eat other stuff as well then that's a separate problem, but as far as I'm aware those "eat exactly what we tell you" plans do actually work pretty well for people for as long as they stay on them? The issue is that you can't stop because then you're on your own again, but if you stay on the programme and keep buying their pre-packaged food forever then you're theoretically fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

T-man posted:

Won't lie, after FAGSLC I'm gonna set up a ultraluxury hotel recreation society where you get to live in a place like that for a few days during your 4+ month vacation time. workers will either be volunteers, humiliation fetishists OR the as-yet uneaten rich
You could make a series of fully immersive roleplay experiences where people first go through a quick course on how a particular society or culture worked focusing on a specific role and then get to play at living it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

... Why?

Shame Boy posted:

In theory it's because they don't have to pay for room and board because their white two-parent middle to upper-middle-class nuclear family should be paying for that and literally no other situation exists shut up.
Also, by that logic, people with kids should automatically be paid more because their living costs are higher, right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

There are two major chains of supermarket in the shopping centre near me. One was sold out of TP after the mad rush and the other was stocked as normal. One of the major news orgs here even mentioned our specific supermarket as one of the harder hit in the country but 50m away was a shop that had no problems at all. This country is so stupid.
The supermarket new my house was sold out the other day, then yesterday evening I went past there and saw someone coming out with a literal trolley full of toilet paper. So I guess they restocked, and then probably ran out again almost immediately.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Entorwellian posted:

All of them look really unhealthy

In what way?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You can get a kettle with multiple temperature settings for, like, $30. :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

People who actually play games instead of just buying them (i.e. sane people as opposed to hoarders) buy them on disc.

What a very odd thing to say.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I see where they're coming from. I'm always seeing people post about their backlog of unplayed Steam games, yet when people buy a game on disc they generally play it. I got several games I purchased on PSN but haven't played, yet I've played every physical-media game I get.
Well, a lot of games I own on Steam were free (or included as part of a bundle with a game I actually wanted). And I think that's probably true for a lot of people? When I buy a specific game I do play it, but I also end up with a bunch of games on my account that I never particularly wanted and those often go unplayed for a long time. Just because people who use Steam tend to have a lot of unplayed games doesn't mean they buy games and don't play them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Further, there might be times the internet may be down and you'd still like to play a single-player game.
You can do that anyway though. Some types of online DRM prevent it, but it's not a necessary part of digital distribution. Steam lets you play your already installed games without an internet connection, for example.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why pay your employees when they can just pay each other?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Age posted:

Renters were relieved when Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced a six-month moratorium on evictions due to the coronavirus crisis, but there is no ban in Victoria yet."

This "eviction moratorium" is the most insane thing. He just said it with no details and no plan and now I guess the states have to individually decide what it means and how it works? But they also have no details or plans and no one has any idea what the gently caress is happening. :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

It's like the intro to that terrible book Jennifer Government.
I wonder which ended up being more successful: the book or the game that existed only to promote the book. Because I think that game stuck around for way, way longer than you'd expect.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't even know how to react to that. :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I assume "the 'high-price' spread" is meant to imply butter without actually saying it so that technically none of their comparisons can be proven false?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

for all the things my country has done in the dumbest way possible, the stick of butter/marg with volume indicated on the wax paper is a shining light of making sense
That is not unique to America. Only we have the measurements in grams instead of hogsheads.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/48023/supafry-solid-oil

I imagine the people who get lovely at vegans are the same ones buying whatever the gently caress this is.
It's pretty clearly labelled. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hooters is such an incredibly strange concept to me. It's like, do you want to suffer all the same social stigma as if you worked at or visited a strip club, but without any of the advantages (better pay; nudity)? Plus (as a customer) you also get everyone wondering why you didn't just go to a strip club? How is this a successful business when actual strip clubs and regular restaurants both exist? Who wants this weird compromise between the two?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

30 minutes later all the dinner has been thrown out

Do they not have a fridge?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If you can find them, these are amazing:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_Franz posted:

do these morons think that their glorious corporate overlords will notice them and shower them with money and status for their bravery and service or something?

No. They were just taught as children that you shouldn't damage other people's property because you wouldn't like it if they damaged yours and that's literally the last time they ever thought about it. They don't expect to be rewarded and it wouldn't change their mind if you explained to them that the property is insured because they've internalised that childhood lesson as morality. If you see someone breaking stuff, you stop them because that's wrong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

stevewm posted:

It seems very few people ever challenge anything and just let the landlord take it.
Different system but it plays out the same here. Every time I've moved I've had the landlord try to take the bond and every time I say "nope"; they threaten to go to VTAC; I say "good, do that" and they immediately drop it and I get my money back. Obviously enough people either don't know they can say no or think the process will be too complicated or whatever that it's just become standard practice to just try to steal the bond money.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Just in case anyone is missing it. That is 3 x new 'k' hubs.

Does that mean something? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What is this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Not sure who thinks these things they've listed are good, but I hope never to meet them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Also lmao at the dude stanning for Quantic Dream. Y'know, it's totally normal like Quantic Dream, the place run by a piss fetishist who single-handedly ensured that Ellen Page will never ever be in another video game.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What did they do to her that would make her never want to be in another game?

Fame Douglas posted:

It's goon invention, don't believe everything you read on the forums.

She seems to have been pretty positive about the whole experience aside from the bit where someone posted pictures of her character naked online.

GQ posted:

GQ: Would you do another game after this experience?

**Ellen Page: **I would. It would just depend on the material. This was so amazing because I loved playing Jodie and I loved being able to be this female protagonist who is so strong and smart and also incredibly vulnerable and damaged and sad. It’s a real incredible, complex character. To be able to do that over years of someone’s life... I mean, what Hollywood movie would that work? It was so cool, man.

That's from 2013, but I can't find anything more recent. And no one else has offered any sources. So, regardless of whatever else David Cage or anyone else may have done, it does seem to be purely an assumption or rumour that she said she wouldn't be in a video game ever again, or that David Cage had anything to do with it. Which is what Fame Douglas actually said. Which is not actually a defence of David Cage or anyone else. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slotducks posted:

The podcasting industry seems to run exclusively off of VPN and Website-Builder-Websites blood money

My favourite podcast ads were the ones where the host just started talking about shaving his ballsack and they all included the bit about "you wouldn't shave your nuts with the same razor you use on your face, would you? No, that's why you need this special, dedicated scrotum-shaver!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

We've had those here for a while now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Greg12 posted:

it's hosed up that they ruin their brains with cte making billionaires rich by playing a children's game and still have to go on food aid

What?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"Some deep dish pizza crusts are so thick you might think you are eating fresh baked bread with some toppings on it."

You are. That is literally what a pizza is. I can't think of a simpler or more accurate description.

Shame Boy posted:

Also now I'm wondering when pizzas transitioned from "cakes" to "pies"

e: Actually I bet I know the answer to that, it's when the British actually got their hands on it, because in the UK everything is pie
It's Americans who (for reasons no one understands) call them "pies". No one else does that because they are very clearly not pies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That's what I immediately thought of as well. It's got to be a strategy to try to draw attention away from wage theft by saying "well, what about time theft which is definitely a very real thing that happens and is just as bad probably (you can't prove it's not)."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Hasn't happened in years though so I think it's kinda gone away now that everything's all chip-and-get-out-as-fast-as-fuckin'-possible.
Is America still using chip-and-PIN? I don't even remember the last time I got my card out of my wallet because it's been contactless for so long here. There's no chance for anyone to check the name on the card - if that was a thing anyone ever even did here, which I don't think it is. The only times I've ever been asked for ID at a shop was for buying alcohol or cigarettes, and they didn't check the name on the debit card to make sure it matched.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

My sister went to a small all girls college in NC that had some sort of ambassadorship with NC State. If you went to this college, you were a State fan. Not a University of NC fan, an NC State fan. Not a Duke fan, a State fan.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yeah, the real issue is that the owner required the staff to set the place up in the morning after it opened instead of before. It should be a perfectly reasonable thing to do to go into a shop to buy whatever you want any time after it opens, as many times as you like.