Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Why do you people hate language and decency?

We just hate the English in a "you're not my real Dad" kind of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Godammit Australia, when are you going to get a real job? :colbert:

Jeez, give us a break, we've been looking, we're going to have to stick with locking up asylum seekers until they kill themselves until something more permanent comes along.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The minion dim sims have 4 health stars.
gently caress that system is easy to game

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DrPossum posted:

what the gently caress is a health star?

Australian government initiative to make it easier to compare the healthiness of packaged foods. The scheme was developed in consultation with major food and beverage companies of course so it may actually do more harm than good. Don't have time to go into it now but it's flawed on pretty much every level.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

A dramatic reading of forums user Alobar's posts in this thread.

https://soundcloud.com/user-718481860/forums-reading

Thank you for doing this

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm actually more mad that they aren't even good at teaching the alphabet by example, I mean what 5 year old knows what the gently caress an "Exxon" is

Should have gone with Enron

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont like the idea of basic income on its own because it doesnt make any incentive for the corporations to actually offer any more or any better jobs or wages. that said its not a bad thing. its just yet another half-rear end social democratic idea that sort of patches a leak but doesnt do anything else

The way I heard it was that if people don't have to take poo poo jobs, corporations will have to make the jobs and/or wages better to attract labour

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

there is zero chance our plutocracy enacts it and it works that way. its going to be universal food stamps where you have to constantly justify getting them by saying you're applying to jobs or something

Yeah, I don't believe it would actually be implemented in a decent, humane form, but that was one of the ideas behind the theory

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Faithless posted:

This is literally how we handle it in England and its still a joke.

Australia more or less does this too. You start paying back the loan over a certain income threshold.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

Having worked in a big laundry, sheets are easy to fold, you're obviously a garbage house cleaner if you can't fold them. Fitted sheets are legit tricky but there's a knack to it that just requires a bit more effort.

I quit when they changed the chemicals used in the washing machines and we all started getting major headaches. Management had already got the contract with the company supplying the chemicals though and basically just shrugged at our complaints.

I was a student working there part time so this was fine for me. Most of my colleagues had worked there 10-15 years as a full time job so weren't as lucky in being able to pack up and quit like me. To my knowledge they're still there dealing with the headaches :(

We're going to end up back at match girls with their jaws falling off from working conditions
Actually I'm pretty sure this never ended, just moved to places where we can't see it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

It's funnier than that: Buttling.

Buttlers buttle, engage in buttling.

If I had a butler, he'd be buttling for me.

Buttling in my home.

Love is a buttlefield

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Melbourne didn't like this particular share bike scheme

https://au.news.yahoo.com/over-40-obikes-removed-from-melbournes-yarra-river-37246023.html

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

It is kind of neat how it seems to do flawless real time keying without a chroma matte.

It might be using a depth sensor to matte by z depth or something like that

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When people no longer need to isolate and some want to keep working from home, bosses will insist they come in using the downturn caused by the recession as proof that WFH is less efficient

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yottam Ottolenghi is adorable, he can't be a bad celebrity chef

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

I kinda figured Australian chuds would have blamed southeast asian immigrants regardless of who actually brought it so I'm assuming that's how

They started off doing that, but they decided on blaming poorly trained and Ill equipped hotel quarantine security guards and young people and their crazy parties

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eating food is one of the only experiences common to all goons, so they can come together to argue about it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

loving hell, this is infuriating

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

i grew up on a near subsistence farm and lemme tell ya folks it loving sucks rear end and anyone who sits around pining for it is a certified dipshit

Or they're just depressed and bored in their lovely job and life and haven't done the research to find out how hard it is.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

define "inspired moment"

just go ahead and give it a try.

I've never been to Starbucks but I imagine the barista looks deep into your eyes and you have some kind of perfect moment together and you go about the rest of your day with a deep sense of peace and contentment

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slider posted:

it's getting a handjob in the bathroom

sweet, you don't even have to look them in the eyes

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I live in Melbourne where Starbucks never got a foothold, according to the website there are 16 in the metro area

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

I do like how little energy she put into it.

Here's some footage of me staring blankly at the camera, okay give me my check now please thank you

She's CG

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Apparently WeWork was very cultish, I feel like a lot of tech companies promote the company as lifestyle because they're competing for a limited talent pool and they don't want their people to leave

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Melbourne and Sydney are some of the most expensive cities in the world to buy a house.
Not on the level of Vancouver though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blackhawk posted:

Having lived in Sydney and now Auckland, Auckland is worse. Raw housing prices are similar, other cost of living expenses are higher and wages are significantly lower. Also the transport system is ratshit so there's less chance you can buy somewhere affordable and get public transport to where you work.

drat, I'm trying to buy a house within an hour of Melbourne and I thought that sucked

Turns out I can't even bail out to NZ

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bonelessdongs posted:

Nobody's helping any goon stereotypes by claiming weight loss is some impossible enigma.

Eating less has allowed me to drink a lot more alcohol including beer and still lose weight and get into better shape

They're talking about weight loss on a population level as a public health problem
It's not always about you

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
She's probably on some Atkins thing and not eating tomatoes cos they're a nightshade or "inflammatory" or something like that

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There are no bad mandolines, only bad owners

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Old glorpy

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah, similar for all the Vietnamese places and pho

At least with pho they will have chopped chillis and probably chilli oil on the table so you can go nuts with that

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Social media is so hosed it makes a guy that gives away money impossible to like

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy John Oliver's show just as an entertaining method of presenting a story and highlighting problems. Whatever his personal opinions on solutions happen to be, he probably wouldn't have a tv show on a commercial network if he advocated for the actual ones.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Oh I forgot, England also has that southwestern dangly bit, but afaik the only people that live there are pirates

Don't forget smugglers

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Are they primarily located to cater to American tourists?

I read somewhere yesterday that France is second in number of McDonald's after the US. I believe they have a fair bit of domestic demand.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think potatoes are more nutritionally complete than rice. So you could live a miserable existence a lot longer on just potatoes than just rice

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

stop wasting time with useless hobbies like 'job'

This poo poo is like cargo cult behaviour.
People want a rich person lifestyle so they copy certain ritual behaviours in the hope that the wealth will appear. What they should be working on is luck and rich parents

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Worked for Elizabeth Holmes

I think she had rich connections if not family

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Very interesting article, thanks for link :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We have Vietnamese restaurants that usually have a generic name followed by the year it was opened. Saigon 81 etc. Also some that open a second location and just chuck a 2 on the end. Great pho at Huong Vuong 2