Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

More recently than you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The no new accounts thing is wrong. Recently we got a crop of terrible zoomer posters who can't post worth poo poo

Citations please

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

hey look the algorithm decided I wanted to see this article that's just a fluff piece about the new marketing gimmick for a terrible product
but it's based on a viral tiktok song!
isn't that something?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
No cheese taxation without cheese representation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Antonymous vs AIT whoever wins we lose

Basically the American civil war of cspam

shut up tman

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The no new accounts thing is wrong. Recently we got a crop of terrible zoomer posters who can't post worth poo poo

I’m not a zoomer and I’ve had an account for a long time, actually

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Paladinus posted:

I will never vote for Taliban.

same and I will never approve sending weapons and funding to Wagner mercenaries!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm a centrist. We shouldn't arm Ukraine or Russia

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Oliver is from the Midlands which isn't the north, and his accent is a milder version of literally the worst accent in the country

The north is anything that isn't London :colbert:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Shame Boy posted:

The north is anything that isn't London :colbert:

Noted Northern place, Kent

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kent is a suburb of London

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hope that made a bunch of people from Kent real mad

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
gently caress them

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Men of Kent, Kentish Men: Cunts

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kents an area in king county, washington actually

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ardennes posted:

There is a reason almost no one in the country support the previous government and refused to fight for it. The population of Afghanistan made their choice and put an end to 42 year civil war.

lol OK

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

All the actually existing alternatives include women and their families being bombed and shot a lot so from a womens rights perspective yeah it is.

:thunkher:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I forgot, England also has that southwestern dangly bit, but afaik the only people that live there are pirates

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Oh I forgot, England also has that southwestern dangly bit, but afaik the only people that live there are pirates

Don't forget smugglers

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ArmZ posted:

lol OK

The Taliban were just some guys with guns, it people didn’t want them there, they wouldn’t have made it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ardennes posted:

The Taliban were just some guys with guns, it people didn’t want them there, they wouldn’t have made it.

Ah yes, the female body politic has a way of just shutting the whole thing down

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Ah yes, the female body politic has a way of just shutting the whole thing down

what

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Ardennes posted:

such a strange hill to die on

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's a good tasteless joke and I'm standing by it :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

whoa the guy who unironically uses the Trump Derangement phrase posts like a deranged person and talks weird about posting stop the press

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

It's a good tasteless joke and I'm standing by it :colbert:

what was the joke

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ardennes posted:

lol ok keep defending them

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Posting is holy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that’s my point, the synthetics mysteriously started to flood the US when the heroin supply was cut off and the US government was “helpless” to stop it.
there are more influential factors imo

Coolness Averted posted:

fentanyl had already been a problem in the US, it just reached a point that it wasn't something you were paying attention to/reached the critical mass to be a news story around then.

The 2020s is when it probably got on your radar since that's when drugs not associated with opioid use were increasingly cut with it, and also cops started blaming their panic attacks on it. Not to mentioned we got to point to bad actors like insys and their rapping fentanyl mascot.

yeah. it was definitely taking off in online markets in the early 2010s for a few reasons -- the really obvious one being that it's far less weight to move, not smelly, and easily concealed. according to contemporary reporting, these were sold in "retail" quantities by vendors who would buy wholesale from boutique labs around the world, frequently in China

at the same time there were much better established pipelines for quasi-legal psychoactive synthetics made to order in labs in China for western buyers. the majority of those were nonopiods, eg "party drugs," synthetic cannabinoids, hallucinogens. the government banned those in late 2015. the guardian has a rather sensationalized article that describes a little of what was going on, as does the Washington Post. you may remember the K2/spice and bath salts media frenzies. as you can see, China was being blamed as if it was responsible for all that, and the ban came after pressure from the west.

but the "boutique" labs didn't stop existing, and most synthetic opioids weren't banned until 2019. my guess is labs only offered buyers what they could legally make, and with emerging techniques to process wholesale fentanyl into "retail products", the remnants of the more varied RC pipeline were the foundation for streamlined pipelines for fentanyl - an economical substance with characteristics making it highly suitable for shipping and a much more reliable demand, just as the US started doing something about domestic pill mills and overprescribing of opioids.

e: to clarify why China had such labs to begin with, it's because all kinds of manufacturing is outsourced there and it wasn't too hard to get a lab in a massive country to make something for you for even relatively small quantities. demand within China was limited; people there were into different things that were harshly prosecuted. nobody was deliberately trying to poison youths anywhere, just making money as usual.

so it's probably more like a bunch of overdetermined things that took place before the 2020s and a lot of it was western reaction

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Mar 20, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ArmZ posted:

lol ok keep defending them

i will

:thanks:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what was the joke

If they didn't want guys with guns to take over they wouldn't have let them, much like how it is impossible for a woman to become pregnant through rape

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Shame Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yPLpfaGQI

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cool maybe ask the hazaras about that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ArmZ posted:

cool maybe ask the hazaras about that

i just did and they said they were okay with it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

If they didn't want guys with guns to take over they wouldn't have let them, much like how it is impossible for a woman to become pregnant through rape

and these things are the same thing to you?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
itt we side with radical religious fundamentalists

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Brrrmph posted:

itt we side with radical religious fundamentalists

Pretty sure the consensus is the US invasion was bad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

and these things are the same thing to you?

Yes that's what I'm saying, they're exactly the same, Afghanistan is a country-sized pregnant woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what was the joke

there is a cspam meme riffing on a us representative that mused following 'legitimate rapes' the "female body has a way of shutting the whole [pregnancy] thing down" thereby making rape/incest exemptions to abortion restrictions unnecessary and potentially a loophole for abortions to occur under false pretenses of rape.