Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Maybe the massive imperial center of the 21st century doesn't have mundane poo poo like 'justice' in its list of priorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Also, it can be argued that there is a qualitative difference between 'having failed at denazification' and deliberately stopping with the plan to carry it out in any meaningful fashion because of Cold War strategic concerns. The latter is what happened in West Germany, along with a stoppage in the parallel de-cartelization program, beacuse again preserving large established industrial concerns was a more favorable move for Western strategic interests wrt opposing the Soviet Union.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
hmmm yes let me defend the company that made an article of clothing that cannot be washed

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Accretionist posted:

The housing crisis would be over if we had public housing in every large city in the style of high-density east asian residential high-rise districts. I've seen photos of public housing in Hong Kong and Singapore done in that style.

I wonder what the underlying economics are of developments like these:
*snip*

Careful with the examples you cite. Singapore is a virtuous example, but hong kong is basically nightmare dystopia. Real estate is so valuable, and so scarce, people are living in sections of rooms. Rent accounts for a ridiculously high percentage of income in that city, and afaik there is little being done wrt new housing development that can ease the shortage.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

bike tory posted:

"Singapore is a virtuous example" except for the maids sleeping in closets on top of the washing machine and dryer.

You got a link for that? I'm going from memory off of what I read couple years ago where it basically said Singapore public housing was world class and an example of a housing programme done right. I'd be interested in reading more about it and esp. about the cracks in the system

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Oh okay I know what you're referencing. Yeah, I know, domestic workers in SE Asia have it rough. Not even just singapore, malaysia did it pretty bad last I checked. There is basically 0 oversight and a lot of those situations end up hardly distinguishable from trafficking. It doesn't help that a lot of human trafficking happens exactly like this across the whole world. There is the barest hint of authorities trying to cooperate on the matter, but last I read, the countries exporting domestic workers (usually poorer ones like indonesia) have 0 leverage so the richer ones just tell them to eat poo poo.

I guess steps forwards in that would be reforming visa conditions and actually putting employers under significant oversight. I think the public housing programme could probably accommodate domestic workers as well, if non-national resident workers are given access to it as opposed to strictly nationals. The public housing was one of those rare neoliberal technocracy success stories, in that central authorities were actually engaged in serving the public, so they just drafted a sensible urban plan, created housing zones with actual access to public services, mixed in with commercial zoning, and then delivered it. Then the administration of the thing was strictly controlled so that it wasn't subject to speculation and rents remained affordable. Of course, this was done the technocracy way, with 0 consultation and the barest pretense of democratic engagement, but still, it's actually very good results afaik.

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 22:07 on May 31, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
The solution would be to not give access to a phone or tablet or whatever type of screen at all before 6, as it is known to induce delays in cognitive development. And after that age to limit access to the above severely.

E: I'm serious about this. Do not give tablets to children. Early data is coming in, and the effects are disastrous, it fucks with brain development, motor coordination, memory, language, everything.

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Jul 29, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It's probably a reference to a story from the Salvadoran civil war where the death squads supposedly killed a whole family and nailed their severed heads to their hands to arrange them sitting around the table with their heads in their laps or some such scene.

That was the El Mozote massacre indeed. Also the US covered it up when news came out that US aligned death squads were doing that poo poo. Household name Elliot Abrams was involved. You may remember him more recently being appointed as special US envoy for Venezuela.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

This thread is insanely loving funny and I'm bookmarking it for future rainy days. I was IRL laughing at [crashing helicopters with] the very concept of air (Pakistan).

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

You're a moron that doesn't know anything. Stop spreading weird goon wisdom.

Italian here, Italy literally has the Roma live in camps on the outskirts of main cities, and almost all of them are so marginalized they live off of informal sectors and occasionally welfare payments. They will literally never find a job because as soon as an employer sees their surname or place of residence they will immediately kick them out the interview. The racism they face is unbelievable unless you witness it with your own eyes. People go literal Hitler over the Roma and I have never once seen anyone push back.

Also our agricultural sector is propped up almost entirely by literal slave labor, that is migrants, most from African countries, who are deliberately kept by successive governments in limbo of citizenship and illegal status so they can be threatened with deportation and have no access to union representation, no rights etc. These people live on the fields they till, and are paid wages so low they remain below the absolute poverty line despite pulling an average 10h work day of literal backbreaking labor. And you wouldn't want to hear what well-to-do Italians think of the Blacks.

European racism is a lot more pervasive, and virulent. You just don't get to hear as much of it in some countries because the people it hurts are so marginalized, and such tiny minorities, it can be all successfully swept under the rug. Black people coming in as tourists in Italy have almost universally as the only big impression left of the country the horrific racism they faced everywhere.

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Nov 23, 2020

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
B b but its been almost 20 seconds since i last got to CONSOOM something!! Can you imagine the indignity

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

incredible

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
non (re)fundleable titties

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Okay I'll bite, what the hell does the Noble Savage have to do with anything

https://twitter.com/PolicemanMeme/status/1450511929559044102

Oh I see, mankind is naturally hateful and self-destructive and capitalism is the only thing that keeps us from all murdering each other. Sure. Okay.

https://twitter.com/PolicemanMeme/status/1450511931207417862

Also every marxist is actually secretly some kind of anarcho-primitivist Tyler Durden idiot lmao

what reading hobbes does to a mf

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
it is incredibly funny because with all these people you can tell exactly where their political philosophy 101 syllabus stopped and they never bothered to read anything more

alternatively, they do know and are just attempting to desperately ignore a couple centuries of developments in political thought and in particular a certain german philosopher
"so, as you can see in locke property rights are perfectly justified because i uhhh mixed my work with the land by planting the fencing. now on to nozick and rawls i guess"

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

if there were any justice in this world they would be immediately swapped in places upon voicing the concern that mah surrogates may not be respecting mah contract

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

God dammit everyone stop keeping separate gulag files. We're supposed to be keeping to one version

First clear cut use case for the blockchain i say

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

4 weeks holidays is laughably stingy to most Europeans tho. This year I have 30 company days + a bunch of national holidays

That really depends on the European country and the age cohort though. Italian labor reforms in the 90s have brought us basically in line w/ american labor standards. If you entered the job market after 92 and are not like an engineer then gently caress you, look forward to poo poo contracts with no sick leave, no pto or insurance etc for the next two decades. Also get ready to sign your resignation letter on the first day so they can date it when you're no longer needed and you're fired, lol. Our version of at will employment. Maybe youll catch a break eventually and sign up with a decent company or a megacorp, who are like the only targets of oversight here.
Or a public sector job which is its own can of worms. Southern Europe for the most part has been getting gutted to hell.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Lol that poo poo is basically another brick in the wall pt. 2
The music video for its section of the wall is an excellent representation lmao

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
where i live the big consulting firms are known for snapping up young graduates and putting them through the mangler of 16h workdays and 0 life in work life balance for 3-5 years, then tossing them when they burn out. so they can then ply their trade at another consulting firm who will do the same until they reach some magic threshold where someone takes pity on them and gives them a normal job i guess? they probably get paid a lot more than any common job for plebs but advancing 10 years in age per each year lived, out of stress and living like total poo poo, seems like a bad deal all in all

anyway, i know some uni colleagues who've gone into those companies and i would not be working that job for a week, let alone loving years like they do

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thinking "oh the other churches are as bad as the RCC" is just an insanely American-centric sheltered view. Coming from a country that was run for most of the last century as a Catholic theocracy with a subservient puppet "secular" government, and is still attempting to reckon with that history, I lol, but ruefully.

same. many of the reasons italy loving sucks come back to the catholic church. they're like an upgraded mafia in that their activity is officially institutionally sanctioned too

also the catholic church loves to send missionaries to go propagandize against contraception and esp condoms in aids stricken communities in africa, which is a league of its own in terms of just sheer cruelty

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Frankie Boyle once described Trump's head as if someone drew a face on a plum and lost it for a month, and I feel like that could work for Elon on some level. Maybe more his body

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
i don't know how self-checkouts have been implemented in america but over here they take the fear of stealing extremely seriously, to the point that self-checkout is such a miserable cumbersome and time-consuming experience that i have never successfully completed it without needing store assistance to come unfuck the machine multiple times

i will dead serious wait 20 mins in line for a cashier rather than subject myself to the experience

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Oneiros posted:

who the gently caress feels bad after eating a burger?

I always left fast food places with the distinct feeling of not being satiated, and wanting more, despite often having like double the calories id normally be having with a regular meal. I think that might be what zodium's getting at. it feels really good to eat that stuff, but it kinda leaves you unsatisfied

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There is a lot of hooey nonsense in yoga but you can take the good (stretching, exercise, meditation) and leave the bad (misusing the word "energy" constantly, everything else).

Oh and its mostly about conscious breathing, moving in concert with breath, and using that to calm your brain a bit which I've found helpful, as someone with an inner monologue that will. not. stop.
:same:
seconding especially the part about the inner monologue, goddamn

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
in consideration of socioeconomic status, the second dude in the head has been sealed away behind microtransactions, his lines replaced by relevant advertising

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Stevie Lee posted:

i just smashed my phone the other day and im thinking about ordering this piece of poo poo

could you not just get a dumbphone since this is the exact description of what this phone purports to do for 6x the price of the average dumbphone?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

1. Nobody in the thread can afford HBO or even piracy.

as a leftist, my favorite insult is to call my opponents poor

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

The Sean posted:

I'm just reading it like a Disco Elysium skill

Rhetoric [Success]

lol

also, that is more like a failure on par with 'are women bourgeois?'

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

this guys a poor-mans copy of noted turd lt2012

more like a HENRY-mans copy of noted turd lt2012,

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
it's actually very cool to notice that google isn't even the worst.

my workplace computers are set by default to bing and if i type in a specific company name to search for their official website I have to scroll more than halfway down the page because of advertised links taking precedence

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Contrariwise, my daughter wanted to go into politics and save the world, met some actual political science majors, and fled as if Matt Gaetz were chasing her.

She wound up a school social worker.

i went into political science specifically because i wanted to change the world and stayed because i realized too late that was the wrong major for it. at least i do something somewhat useful in the public sector now instead of generating surplus value for mr. businessman mcmoneybags so that is a personal half win.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
she will charge the baby rent

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Remulak posted:

Overseas is a rough, if Venice can’t even ban cruise ships how can poorer countries like Serbia deal with the needed currency infusions?

Venice, much like its region, is run by right-wing shitheads and its absentee landlord class.
It's not that it can't ban cruise ships or short-term rentals. it doesn't want to ban cruise ships and short-term rentals. even when pressured by outside forces to preserve what they can of venice. They have recently gotten a gently worded letter to maybe please dial down the disneyfication, and the response was a plan to sell a limited amount of tickets to access the city within each day.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

What if I told you the amazon worker was a scab

No, i dont want no scabs

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
they wouldnt need to fry cops' brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012