Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Dennis System posted:

World wide, the average life span, quality of life, education, and million other things have dramatically improved thanks to capitalism.
This is, admittedly, true. Still, threads like these rather suggest that we've literally sold our souls to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

Capitalists have no souls. Plus when you have a hundred people and you give one of them a trillion dollars and beat the rest to death with a stick turns out the average still looks nice on a graph.
Yeah. I get your claim, but it's really not the case here. Infant mortality, educational attainment, percentage of population with real income above certain fixed poverty thresholds, et cetera are all improved pretty strongly in the last few decades across the developing world. That's real.

It's just that it comes along with the commodification of the entire human experience. Plus a small fraction of people becoming fabulously rich for everyone to resent.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

The US does a mock nuclear war training exercise every year or two or something, where someone pretends to be the president (because if the actual president did it it would reveal how they would act) and even in the 100% simulated, completely consequence-free training exercise nobody has ever been able to bring themselves to order the counterattack :unsmith:
Is there a source for this, because it doesn't seem very credible that no one would be willing to act as ordered when they know there will be no actual harm to it.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Aug 8, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Yes, my post 2 posts down from that one
Okay, that's bizarre. I could have sworn I read the rest of the page before going back and asking that.

Makes more sense reading the link, though. I had understood you to be saying that people at the launch facilities didn't do it, not that a person given the core decision didn't.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Aug 8, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Does anyone still have that zenpencils comic with this edited into it, I can't find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kazak posted:

I've never seen one of these in person and I frequent a lot of public parks. I'm not convinced they aren't art pieces.
That's exactly what it is, yes. A German guy, Fabian Brunsing, made it.