Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The State of Alaska instituted austerity measures last year so that our Republican governor can give bigger tax credits to our oil companies, and as a result the state government has started a campaign where they beg the public for funds to provide basic services like "give drivers licenses." The dmv is literally asking people to just mail checks to random DMV locations.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Administration-Department--donations--DMV--rural-Real-ID-campaign--566265661.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

This would be a lot less offense it they just put a bow on everything like Ms. Pac-Man

It would be a lot less offensive if the last dozen posters hadn't fallen for exactly what that ad was trying to do. Lure us in then give us a memorable shot of the product. Then pay people to tweet it out so it lands on social media (including comedy forums).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

When I moved out of state almost 10 years ago, a friend of a friend came to get some of my furniture. She had a couple of kids with her in the 6-10 year old range, and I had a 60 gallon tub of Legos that had been in my closet for years at that point, that I let them have. I don't think I had ever seen kids that happy.

Wow, I have almost the exact same story. My mother was moving out of her house and gave me the giant chest of Lego. One of those big Tupperware things you buy from Target to put in your garage filled to the brim. My mother was a queen of garage sale Lego buying all through my childhood. Just a ton of Lego. I turned around and gave it to a family with four boys in the 4-8 range. They were totally ecstatic. My brothers and I had so much fun with those things growing up, it was a real treat to pass it on.

Thanks for reminding me of that great memory!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

God Hole posted:

if anyone is feeling scared, i have some leftover grandson pee i can give you

Ew that's gross

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Oh man charcuterie sounds great. Want to have a tasteful snack platter party with me on Friday when the new WoT comes out?

I have a 40 year old single buddy who works as a Costco manager. Nice guy and one of my best friends. He only buys the easy to prepare stuff from Costco, like the 80 pack of burritos. Then he eats nothing but 80 burritos in a row. Then he buys the gallon of hummus and huge bag of pretzels and that's what he eats. Then he buys the 30 pack of salty gross rear end pho and you get the idea.

Anyway he bought a giant fuckoff huge thing of Lunchables one time. Until that day I had never seen a grown man eat one. Maybe I've seen, like, a dad finish one after the kid doesn't finish, but never just eating one for lunch. It's super weird, like the context doesn't make sense to me. And he had so many to eat in a row.

I didn't say anything 'cause he's a grown man who can eat what he wants. Plus he's awesome and an awesome friend.

Thanks to this derail I got to remember a friend I haven't called in a while. Thanks thread!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The only thing capitalism hasn't ruined in this hellscape of a country we all need mind altering substances to escape from is AA meetings. Free, all over the place, helps many people not die, a real good time if you find the fun groups.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

Just curious, in what ways is it different?

:eng101: Emeralds are green and diamonds are sparkly clear.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ham Equity posted:

How many incidents of this happening are there?

According to the FEMA, "local" fires happened 1.4 million times per year, roughly 500,000 of which are homes or occupied structures, with 3500 deaths and 15000 serious injuries.

So, uh, a lot.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We didn't have snow days, we had exactly-31-degrees-days in the spring. There would be a three inch thick rink of ice on the roads, with the top layer barely melted. The school buses couldn't drive because there wasn't enough friction for cars to safely operate on the roads or for anything to make it up hills. Still happens all the time, though with climate change it's the January rain on top of the rink roads that does it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ham Equity posted:

There is an Uwajimaya in Seattle. Like, I'm not knocking it, it is in fact my grocery store, but there's only one.

I just went there last weekend! Plus they expanded and there's a store in Kent or Renton or somewhere.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jazerus posted:

unfortunately esperantists can't see yellow

Esperantists also can't pronounce the syllable "tists" which is why there are no esperantists.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ArmZ posted:

children aren't soylent green?

Soylent saplings

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I imagine if any one of her underlings put "gym" as the reason they walked into work at 10:30 they'd be fired.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

guy who designed the pear youtube channel: I'm just trying to get paid man

If I could get paid what I currently get paid and do dorky pear recipes for other pear enthusiasts for sure I would take that gig. I bet those social media accounts are just full of the most excited pear and pear-like fruit dorks on the planet.

:sigh: Imagine for a moment liking your job.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah isn't stuff in the trash free game? I know that cops can rifle through your poo poo like a bunch of raccoons.

Depends on the state. Alaska and Washington, for instance, they need a warrant.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Safety Factor posted:

I watched Traffic for the first time like a month ago and it sucked. Just a comically bad portrayal of Mexico.

The Clint Eastwood movie Mule, which just got added to Netflix, is the most boomer rear end racist portrayal of Mexico that has ever existed. It's so so so bad. The first ten minutes, which is all we made it through, is just a constant barrage of horrible cruel racism.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

rear end part tame, lol.

"rear end part o' me" is what I say in my head every time I read that weird.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
That's what the first hand meat mouth said right before he worked himself to death to secure a slightly larger bonus for the overlords.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

Like the cheapest and most common Square card reader looks like this:

It's got that bullshit minimalism to such a degree that I can totally understand them not wanting to confuse every single grandma that comes in about where in the featureless white box the card goes.

Also normally that'd be stuck to a phone so you'd just hand the phone to the customer and they'd do the rest, but you can also connect them to your existing old-rear end cash register through various methods meaning you don't even get the phone UI saying "please tap or insert card below" you just get the featureless white box.

Someone I know who absolutely loves giving their email address to every corporation who asks put my personal email address into Square's user interface when paying for a taxi. We were on a business trip, you see, and I might need that receipt in case some bean counter questioned our reimbursement. Thanks Dave. Thereafter every time Dave used his card at any Square kiosk i would get an email "THANK YOU FOR USING SQUARE HERE'S YOUR RECEIPT." This meant I would get several emails a day whenever Dave went to Starbucks or the grocery store or the sex arse store or wherever.

Untangling that took hours on Squares customer service line. The first guy at Square suggested I go to a random point of sale system at any local shop and ask politely to use their iPad thing, from which I could access Square's corporate database and unhook the card from my email. That guy wouldn't believe me when I repeatedly told him that was a stupid loving idea.

Second person said it would be simple to create a corporate Square account with that email address, at which point I could manage which cards sent me how many emails. Took me an hour of convincing her before she believed me that I had no intention of creating a corporate Square account.

She then got Square's IT involved, who apparently had never heard of the concept of someone not wanting emails from them whenever loving Dave used his credit card. This went up several layers in IT before someone just did the five seconds thing in their database that I wanted them to do.

Goddamn that was a nightmare of hold times and corporate front line employee bullshit. Really soured me on Square.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I took a few continuing education courses on pharmaceutical billing chains back when I worked Medicaid compliance. Not supply chains, billing chains. The webs that these companies have set up between the manufacturers, retail, doctor's offices, government agencies, and insurance companies are insane. Each step has big corporate actors acting as middle men, and each step has big third party contracts to act as billers and auditors, so there are endless junctions in what should be an easy process, and at every juncture that middle man takes his cut.

As the most simple possible example, a Medicaid agency might pay a Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) company, a manufacturer, a wholesaler, and the pharmacy itself for the same bottle of boner pills. Medicaid will also pay for the PBM-Medicaid auditor, the PBM-Manufacturer will split an auditor/biller between them, the manufacturer will pay for an auditor/ biller between it and Medicaid, and between it and the wholesaler, the wholesaler will pay for the auditor/biller between it and everyone else, the Pharmacy will have its costs paid by Medicaid, which requires another compliance audit. All this happens before you get your boner pills, and all require separate individualized contracts if using private insurance. And that's even before the doctors start running pills mills or the identity thieves steal your meemaw's Medicaid number so they and their black market doctor can bill boner pills under her name.

BigHead has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Apr 2, 2024

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

Degrasse is when you have a slice of pi with science on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Where the heck am I going to "request" paper bags?

The hyperventilation store. They also sell tarantulas, roller coasters, and disappointed dads. They're having a sale on public speeches and scientific reports about global warming!