Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Venom Snake posted:

Whoever asked about TV ads the other day should know that there is an entire consultant class thats livings depend on convincing candidates to waste money on ads nobody will pay attention to. To receive DNC funding you must agree to spend a certain % of your campaign budget on things like consulting and tv ads

I still think it's gotten to the point where the parasites outweigh the mass of the host, the grift has become so bad that establishment Dem funding has negated its own advantages because it's all required to be spent on waste and grift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

democrats also had the numbers to impeach when it came out in mid '69

Phrasing!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thoguh posted:

I disagree. Dressing like a space chancellor was something she did very well. A+++ would ask her look pensive about the crisis in the Alpha Quandrant any time.

Every time a politician or especially ambassador shows up in Star Trek they're a villain and/or a complete idiot rear end in a top hat that needs to be constantly bailed out by Starfleet and the godlike alien of the week

I think the alien President of the Federation showed up briefly in DS9 and he seemed reasonable enough tho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is almost as bad as the english tories talking about Theresa May's 'erotic appeal'...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do have to wonder just how much drugs the ruling classes are on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gio posted:

that...probably will happen.

They won't be able to bring themselves to with any degree of credibility. There's no Obama-level charisma waiting in the wings, their bench was cleared years ago for Hillary and will likely never recover- to say nothing if Hillary likely runs again. Their donors are terrified of leftists and will probably demand doubling down on empty centrism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cerebral Bore posted:

You know that these people will start talking themselves into voting for Trump the moment that Bernie gets the nomination.

What makes you think they haven't already started?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everybody seems to really hate frat bros, and also have extremely little idea what they actually are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ThndrShk2k posted:

During 2016 in many states more people cast a ballot with the presidential race blank than voted for third party candidates.

I'm p sure Australia has had that for a while, but with more dicks drawn on the ballots.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes sense, 2016 was the battle of the vanity campaigns, and Hillary had assumed victory was owed her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Greenwald called takebacksies. Once a tweet is deleted that is it! Erased from history.

Something something, Thanos fingersnap.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nah posted:

it's a clear sign that this is what we're going to face when Bernie! wins the Democratic primary in 2020. the party will push some neoliberal slug with the hopes to split the vote to maintain the status quo

Wasn't Bloomberg threatening to run spoiler if Bernie won the primary?

The fun part is that they would and will lose by a landslide.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Craig K posted:

i have come to the startling realization that all the threads in D&D actually become readable if you word filter Joe Manchin to Goku and centrist to Saiyan okay bye

Freiza did nothing wrong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

woke liberalism is basically placebo politics

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Skypie posted:

If you're rich and don't have a big titty wife, what are you even doing

being a pedophile?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Corky Romanovsky posted:

While Biden is bedridden and Bernie is playing basketball against LeBron.

God-Abeula on the Golden Throne

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Identity politics as practiced basically meant ceding entire demographics and massive amounts of territory, mainly non-bourgie white people, to the Republicans, including the upcoming generations of disenfranchised, alienated youth facing a dearth of opportunity. It was basically a clarion call to neo-nazis that they could recruit without resistance from a generation that was assumed to be already on board with progressives by right. It's surprising that they weren't more effective, really. The online 'left' was dominated basically by the scions of the bourgeois playing at activism and encouraging the worst tendencies of grassroots movements, causing the new actual left to have to start from scratch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ResetEra was the Neogaf offsite formed after the original's admin turned out to be the latest in a long line of woke sexmonsters, wasn't it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I did hear in the chapo thread there's apparently a number of the tumblr idpol crowd who've gone full tankie in the wake of 2016 presumably because people started dunking on them for ignoring economic inequality enough times and they needed to outflank the left to get the high ground while remaining useless and belligerent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like liberals weren't helping them along with that, the whole 'working class means white working class' thing and 'would it solve sexism? Would be solve racism?' The working class partly chose trump but mostly just stayed home since the 'left' had made it very clear they had nothing to offer poor people and considered any attempts to do so as a deliberate distraction from their lip service to racism and sexism. And this was endemic from top to bottom of the liberal establishment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Corky Romanovsky posted:

"Why do people always think it's an attempt by the US? They have nothing to back this up."

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/08/04/americas/venezuela-maduro/index.html

Too lazy, didn't click: apparent assassination attempt on Maduro

To be fair I would be surprised if the US thought it was worth assassinating him when they're quite happy having Venezuela as a strawman for the horrors of communism and he's doing a fine job loving everything up on his own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

megalodong posted:

Anyone who thinks this isn't true should go take a look at NZ's healthcare system, where despite it being effectively free, Maori still have significantly worse healthcare outcomes due to racial biases in the system and cultural differences between the predominantly white doctors and Maori patients:

These outcomes improve drastically when they're seen by a Maori doctor, or seen through a health system that takes Maori culture into account.

Minorities are entirely right to be suspicious of anyone who says "medicare for all" without also saying "and fixes/funding for racial biases, racial health differences, and a lack of minority doctors.", because without that, they'll just end up with cheap access to a system that fails them, instead of no access. Which is effectively the same poo poo that liberals rightly get called out for with their "equal access to affordable healthcare" bullshit.

That's true. But seems like this is something leftists are likely to simply not know about the severity of the problem (since the media certainly isn't going to give it enough airtime) and would be quite happy to demand be made part of the deal, while liberals weasel-word their way around actual affordable healthcare because they're paid to not promise it and/or consider semantics to be good enough despite having no real intention to follow through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

loquacius posted:

I've heard it said that the tendency of the left (and center) is to believe that nobody agrees with them and everybody hates their ideas, whereas the tendency of the right (and center-right) is to believe that they're just saying what everybody else is thinking but too chickenshit to say out loud

We need some goddamn confidence

Like this. AOC loving gets it.

Pretty much, but especially the centre, who have basically bought into the Republican framing of things and think it's good that a handful of enlightened elites should be the moral guardians to slowly bring civilisation to the benighted savages who are too ignorant and uneducated to know the right way of things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminds me of Trump, the media was completely obsessed with him for being shocking and not following the rules and no amount of ad buys made a difference.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bushiz posted:

Shapiro's method of travel is on a literal wave of dark money. The reason he's popular is because millions of dollars have been spent to make him popular. Every bit of SEO, every bit of paid boosting. Ben Shapiro is the human version of a publisher buying ten thousand copies of their own book to push it to the top of the best sellers list.

That's basically every alt-right figurehead. Though it isn't exactly a phenomenon exclusive to them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I keep mixing him up with Conor Arpwel, DSA wrecker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

how do you see yet another politician being instantly dumpstered by DV allegations in an era where women are getting much much more power and influence and are going after all their previous creepers in the #metoo movement and conclude "biden will walk away with it"

:psyduck:

Centrists will circle the wagons around their own where leftists will readily cast them out. (Since they're already rightly paranoid about cops, saboteurs and wreckers) A lot of them are STILL mad about Franken and insist he was somehow set up by dastardly leftists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fleetwood posted:

I like the nicknames because they remind me of garbage pail kids

The garbage pail president

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not saying he is. If he actually had strategic thought he'd be laying the groundwork for going after Bernie rather than the succ Dems.

Bullies always only go after the easiest targets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

loquacius posted:

I still say the original sheetcake sketch was intended to be ironic and the problem was that people took it seriously

I think people have gotten sick of irony involving Nazis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

How is it different from 'I'm playing japanese titty games and the sjws can't stop me!'?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes sense the lower tiers of establishment dems are likely to start courting progressives because they see it as a way to get a leg up on the ossified ladder with little room at the top.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's something to be said that no one agrees on what an objectified or sexualised male body looks like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

theCalamity posted:

pompous shitlib

Is there literally any other kind of ResetEra poster?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Succdems really don't want to admit that someone else might actually have the moral high ground.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much all they'd have to do is say 'please'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yinlock posted:

with his usual strength of will, he issued a statement: glorp feebo blarg

:same:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

Jesus Christ that’s so much succ it’s ruined my day already and it’s not even past 9.

I'm glad I have a protective layer of wine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John McCain Memorial Gulag for Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At least Launchpad McQuack is a cool dude.