Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

good ripoff of “for the many and not the few”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

fighting with an immigrant POC friend of mine on facebook over this as he screams about everything between Philadelphia and Sacramento being racists all the way down

brain worms go deep

Dude isn't wrong, the midwest is full of racists.

But it's also no more racist than some coastal liberal "paradise"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

netroots nation is an appendage of billionaire foundation money, they’re purely sheepdog politics for edgier liberals.

as captive as the Russian system is America is way more sophisticated in blocking off genuine reform with AstroTurf and billionaire money.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GoluboiOgon posted:

they also have this gem

this is absolutely not true. i ran this through a retirement calculator, and for a single person making $30k for 50 years they need to save $219 a month to retire at 67. this program provides $80 a month.

yeah but think of the broker dealers who then get comfortable contracts to administer this half baked savings plan

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lisbon has some of the most aggressive rent control policies in the western world and it never fails to make the highly rational and intellectual liberals at the NYT melt down.

It's an injustice that a family of restaurant workers gets to pay 50 euros a month next to some yuppie ghoul paying 3000.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Convex posted:

doesn't the Root run a hit piece about how Bernie is racistly ignoring POC like every other loving day

anyway, not surprised that they're publishing ResistanceHole-level clickbait garbage

there’s a reason why the root is mainstream and black agenda report gets relegated to the fringes despite both being purveyors of “woke politics”

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

coding is a false promise offered up because liberals are tech fetishists who can’t imagine doing anything their donors wouldn’t want for the economy

not to mention that a lot of the low hanging fruit, like configuring SAP modules, has already been outsourced to low cost delivery centers overseas. I haven't worked with a single packaged goods company that didn't have extensive IT operations in eastern Europe, India, or the Philippines.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rand alPaul posted:

This article on STEM has some great quotes:

We need more STEM but we also have too much STEM.

They are distorting the demand for STEM professions by counting jobs like being a nursing assistant as a "STEM" profession because it is technically a medical field position, even if it pays peanuts and is awful all around

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/ibjiyongi/status/1023940189192941568?s=21

She thinks he’s talking about counties that have a substantial amount of black people and not the colors on the map. succ

Prescod-Weinstein also thinks that Jews and asian Americans are “middle agents” in Europe and america complicit in oppressing black and brown people

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

She's also Jewish and is married to a Korean-American (I went to school with him)

I know she’s jewish, I just found her comments at the JVP conference to be borderline antisemitic (claiming Jews had “middle agent” privilege in Europe)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think Chait’s point is that those are the same talking points / strategies used by the InfoWars crowd. It’s odd that both groups are working together on the same political project: destroy / discredit the Democrats. Russia’s interference in US Democracy is inconvenient to that end for the far left (I.e. Bernie Bros) because it undercuts their thesis that Hillary lost the 2016 election because and solely because she was the worst possible candidate. It is significant that the left was led to adopt many of the same slogans/ideological positions as the far right with little to no concessions from them in return. To the extent that the Left believes that their abandonment of the Democratic Party will force that party to the left, I would question the success of that strategy; it seems like we are no better off today on any front that the Left would conceivably like to achieve. In the meantime, the Right is advancing their agenda, and entrenching their power electorally and judicially. That doesn’t seem like a very good trade to me. In fact, it seems like the Left bought into Right propaganda that preyed on their dissatisfaction with the Dems and exploited their political energies to split the party along artificial ideological purity lines.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
And now we’re at the whataboutism phase of the conversation. You don’t have to defend imperialism, or agree with American interventionism, to be opposed to Russian intervention in American politics. Especially if that intervention entrenches a hyper-conservative, ethnocentric political machine intent on dissolving international bodies like NATO and replacing those institutions with worse alternatives

It's on facebook, an urban planner I know is outraged about the left taking a dump on trump russia

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

why do union members settle for undemocratic autocratic leadership that flagrantly opposes them lol

i guess the propaganda is so strong that americans just passively accept lack of actual democracy and are brainwashed to think democracy just orwellianly means pushing a meaningless lever?

It's an institutional problem. For a lot of unions the lure of getting promoted out of a shop to be a union staffer is strong (this is esp. true for SEIU where organizers and reps make a lot more than their membership). This means people who want to climb the ladder and move up will toe the political line getting pushed by management or risk getting sidelined and stuck in their crappy $9/hr nursing assistant job.

This is also why union elections don't work. Various factions at every international have already carved out their turf and use a rubberstamp election to put their goon in charge. Some unions like AFSCME are very sensitive to this aspect. When I made a joke to a few AFSCME guys in 2012 about filing board charges regarding the bitter election between lee saunders, the black (and probably corrupt) incumbent and reformist danny donohue they tried to run me out of the room.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

it's scheduled a month from never, bc in the near-decade since the aca was passed, almost all employer plans would now qualify as "cadillac" coverage, going by price (which was the sole metric used to determine the qualification).

and that's including ever-increasing deductibles for employer-provided plans, which used to be the metric for "junk insurance" prior to the ACA.

so everyone's got cadillac coverage + junk insurance now.

Rahm Emanuel's brother told the NYT that he expected virtually no employers to offer insurance by 2020 specifically due to that tax provision

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Kwaisi went to upenn. I haven't met a single poc who went to penn, harvard, uchicago, etc. who didn't worship liberals and their hereditary meritocracy

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Given how parents have been having kids later in life, have there been any under-26ers on Medicare yet?

p sure that applies only to employer paid plans and not entitlements like Medicare.

also some states exceed the federal minimum of 26. for example, in New York dependents can stay on parents insurance until 30

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

lol that netroots still exists

of course it does, that foundation money doesn’t spend itself you know!!!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite billionaire foundation controlled opposition group is the new economy coalition, a purported grassroots federation of local “solidarity economies” that’s 98% funded by foundation grants

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

I distinctly remember that being a W. line when someone asked him why he made drug importation from Canada illegal. "It's cause I wanna make sure their safe!" he said...I wonder if he ever got around to that.

Playing the safety canard is a liberal favorite to shut down anything from the left. The local food not bombs people get their poo poo pushed in by cops all the time and liberals stand on the sidelines cheering because our "unhoused friends" deserve the same food safety regulations that protect the "rest of us," like feeding the homeless should require a commercial kitchen.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

P cool how Bernie supports planned parenthood, which is antiunion. Almost like he doesnt care about unions

My former boss, who was a lead organizer for SEIU and embezzled thousands of dollars from the local in fake reimbursements for miles driven, was quietly let go and picked up by planned parenthood to lead organizing efforts here. The entire apparatus needs to go.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

pretending there's a difference between economic politics and identity politics is what caused Dems to lose large parts of the country tbh

Heads they win, tails they win. Heads they use narrow liberal idpol to successfully beat back left economics. Tails they win by discrediting the struggle against racism by using poc as a wedge against medicare for all or free college.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

megalodong posted:

Anyone who thinks this isn't true should go take a look at NZ's healthcare system, where despite it being effectively free, Maori still have significantly worse healthcare outcomes due to racial biases in the system and cultural differences between the predominantly white doctors and Maori patients:

These outcomes improve drastically when they're seen by a Maori doctor, or seen through a health system that takes Maori culture into account.

Minorities are entirely right to be suspicious of anyone who says "medicare for all" without also saying "and fixes/funding for racial biases, racial health differences, and a lack of minority doctors.", because without that, they'll just end up with cheap access to a system that fails them, instead of no access. Which is effectively the same poo poo that liberals rightly get called out for with their "equal access to affordable healthcare" bullshit.

Pretty much, poor poc get to choose between being unable to afford an indifferent white doctor who'll let you die in childbirth or having a single payer pay an indifferent white doctor who'll let you die in childbirth

Agean90 posted:

your giving far too much credit to the people who've done nothing but lose elections for the past 8 years. them "winning" lmao

Democrats win when capital wins. At this point I don't think party leadership operationalizes success based on electoral victories anymore.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

It's probably because Obama ran a effective campaign and the case of Ohio was able to point out how his rescue plan was able to save OH auto industry plant jobs.

Hillary didn't seem to have any sort of message or results for blue collar workers along with how she ignored Midwest states.

Plus losing both FL and OH is pretty much a game over for a GE race.

Abuela fumbling the hispanic vote in Florida pretty much sealed the deal. That and their entire GOTV operation was a cloud based boondoggle where volunteers could log on and be fed a list of phone numbers to contact with a script that appears on your screen.

Compare/contrast to obama 08 where we had a cushy office and staffers brought in qdoba or something every night to keep the troops motivated.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

hillary had a very large field operation with tons of offices and staff, it wasn't just a website

I'm sure she opened a ton of offices and had a lot of staffers on the payroll, however when it came to basic campaigning and GOTV her offices actively turned away canvassers and refused to give out yard signs.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

they knocked millions of doors, somehow

quote:

In Michigan alone, a senior battleground state operative told HuffPost that the state party and local officials were running at roughly one-tenth the paid canvasser capacity that Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) had when he ran for president in 2004. Desperate for more human capital, the state party and local officials ended up raising $300,000 themselves to pay 500 people to help canvass in the election’s closing weeks. By that point, however, they were operating in the dark. One organizer said that in a precinct in Flint, they were sent to a burned down trailer park. No one had taken it off the list of places to visit because no one had been there until the final weekend. Clinton lost the state by 12,000 votes.

Canvassing is labor intensive and runs low margins for consultants, unlike radio and television ads that are perfectly suited for the value added grift.

There's also this:

quote:

In politics, much like anything else, victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan. A senior official from Clinton’s campaign noted that they did have a large staff presence in Michigan and Wisconsin (200 and 180 people respectively) while also stressing that one of the reasons they didn’t do more was, in part, because of psychological games they were playing with the Trump campaign. They recognized that Michigan, for example, was a vulnerable state and felt that if they could keep Trump away ― by acting overly confident about their chances ― they would win it by a small margin and with a marginal resource allocation.

Salami slicing your own election chances so the consultants can get paid, lmao

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

like she had the entire obama gotv operation that even propelled lovely 2012 obama to victory, but even that small expenditure was too much waste

Obama worked backwards from the conclusion that he was going to lose and everyone on his campaign allegedly was told they needed to work like they were going to lose until final results confirmed that they were going to win.

Whereas hillary seemed to conclude that she was going to win and worked from that angle to create as much staff infighting and loyalty cliques as possible to see who she could trust to bring with her to the white house

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

did she? i thought obama held onto his operations and largely didn't share them with the rest of the party

kinda like how Hillary charged the party millions of dollars for her email lists after she lost

iirc obama also installed one of his OFA goons at the new organizing institute and gutted it from the inside out

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I would love all of those things, yes.

God drat what a timeless message and what a damning indictment of our society that we didn't even come close to delivering since then.

all that is left binding this country together is a terrifying, too big to fail nuclear arsenal and a bunch of new deal and great society programs the democrats want to carve up

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

Ah, one of my "favorite" of the dnd libs. Always suggesting that if you didn't agree with his liberalism you were secretly racist.

It's the most pernicious weaponizing of minority identities and they have literally no problems talking past you or pretending like the poc left (black agenda report etc.) don't exist

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's gone down in flames every time they've put it on the ballot in this state.

More interesting is racist shitbucket St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch losing to insurgent Wesley Bell in a stunning upset. Klansman McCulloch has served 8 consecutive terms since 1990. Everyone expected him to win and I'm glad he lost.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GalacticAcid posted:

I’ve plugged this a few times but We Will Shoot Back by Akinyele Umoja is a pro read

that’s going to scare some liberals man

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I mean I think that is a very fair point, which centers on the whole "civility" debate that's sort of ongoing right now. The Dems routinely "reach across the aisle" to bad-faith actors who never have and never will extend the same courtesy. The "when they go low, we go high" political strategy is uh, clearly unsuccessful. And the Dems clearly still believe that they need the support of Corporate America to implement their policies, and that calm explanations of those policies will win on their own merits. Both of which are flatly wrong.

But despite that, I don't see any of that being the same as being "opposed to universal healthcare." There's two separate things here: being able to get the message out, and being able to get poo poo done in congress. All of the relying on bad-faith actors to come around falls into the first, passing healthcare reform falls into the latter. Again, you have to ask the question "if we're on incremental change, then to what end." I don't think anyone is satisfied with the ACA as it is today, nor was it ever supposed to be the final answer to healthcare in this country once and for all. So what are we building towards? I admit I haven't really seen the Trump-era alternative that M4A is supposedly up against. Is it the public option? Idk, maybe if there was something Pelosi was pushing instead it would be more clear to me. But Krugman is right too: she has accomplished a ton, and gets a ton of flak anyways. The Dems are really bad at handling that, it happened to HRC too, pretty much since the day she lost to Obama. But as much as I want to see more progressive policies in place, no amount of Republican sneering and baseless poo poo-flinging is going to make me turn on the centrists for not turning left hard enough. I'm just not seduced by those talking points, and I don't see the benefit of doing so.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, Hermanson evens admits that isn't true in his op-ed: "Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi is a leading proponent of only incremental change to our broken healthcare system..." I guess the question then becomes "to what end," or "incremental change towards what?" If you're against Pelosi in general, I suppose it would be easy to say the end is some corporatist, third-way outcome. But that sort of ignores the fact that she helped to found the Progressive Caucus, and got ACA passed. Did it have the government option? No, of course it didn't. She's politically savvy enough to know that that wasn't the time or place to put all of the chips in. I would say that the ACA has pushed us further towards the M4A conversation being politically viable. And it was a huge achievement in of itself. But I don't think that op-ed offers "proof" that Pelosi is properly opposed, it just talks about the ways that she did other things instead (which, again, have gotten us closer to M4A). If you want overhaul and not reform, sure, fine, but I think that sort of ignores the political climate we're in, and the fact that Pelosi has a proven track record of getting poo poo done in that climate.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
arguing with some rich kid I went to school with who is now an urban planner.

his father used to call obama a _________ all the time in the car and he was too chickenshit to confront him over it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grimoire posted:

"Urban Planner" eh? Link him that Cities Skylines anti-freeway vid. Plz post results

The thing is the guy claims to be a social democrat but always ends up backtracking like a MLK Jr. style white moderate who shrugs and says better things aren't possible, and either blames voters or engages in the mysticism of the "political environment" to explain why he's an adult and therefore Right. So I could link him to that anti-freeway vid and he'd agree because we both grew up in a rust belt shithole that was smashed and blasted apart by freeways but he'd shrug and claim freeways are the best we can do.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

:qq: It's just so hard to be appealing enough for someone to come out and spend 15 minutes to vote

The fact that they're so arrogant that they feel no need to pander to voters is staggering. Even the hilariously corrupt CCP pays lip service to how many millions they lifted out of poverty this year and how they need to do more next year. Meanwhile democrats are so actively spiteful and hubristic they literally dared you to stay home against Trump and his band of nazis.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

my liberal jewish friends have been on a trip of saying the nominal American capital-L Left is anti-semitic because institutions like the DSA don' tmention Jewish people ENOUGH

like, every press release isn't about Jewish people so... therefore anti-semitism. Someone got REAL salty about hte charlottesville statement only mentioning anti-semitism once.

DSA never mentions chinese people ever so they must be sinophobic

Oh wait

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eleven Eleven posted:

I'd also like to add that violent revolution often has a side effect of disproportionately harming minorities that are often lumped in with the "elites" such as queer people, Jews and other ethnic/religious minorities.

this country did a bang up job massacring chinese, banning the immigration of women from asian countries (page act), and having progressive white unions scab out Chinese workers in California and Washington during the golden age of progressivism in the 19th century. I don’t think violent revolution would be significantly worse than state directed violence (or turning a blind eye to white mobs) in earlier eras of history. the post 1965 era is the longest so far whites have gone from massacring or lynching nonwhite people, but that is no means representative of this country’s 400 year legacy of settler colonial violence as a whole.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

much like the often-fraught relationship between Asian-Americans and African-Americans, its something that needs to be treated with a little bit of nuance rather than just making wide, sweeping statements

yellow peril and black power were indistinguishable in tone during the 1960s and 70s. the black panther party got started selling maos red book in Berkeley for example, and their policy platform influenced the formation of Chinese radical left groups like the red guards in San Francisco and I Wor Kuhn in NYC.

at the same time, the liberal white media began pushing the model minority myth (first use of the term was in TIME Magazine: “those Asian American whiz kids”) and using them as a wedge to divide and conquer. add in a few more decades of nonprofit and foundation driven woke politics and the democrats cynically adopting a “black faces in high places” policy of tokenism and representation. you end up now with the memory hole worthy concept that black and asian people have always been in conflict with each other, and the asian american liberal political base being almost indistinguishable from the white one when it comes to white guilt and patronizing black people as the platonic ideal of victims.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yes every revolution and socialist/labor movement will be exactly like they were 100 years ago. things dont change. history is the same always.

not attacking those moments specifically, just adding context to that idiots idea that revolutions are bad for the marginalized when this country’s glorious history has been completely abysmal for the marginalized

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

thanks for saying this smarter than me because I knew that post screamed 'brainwashed liberal racist' but I didn't have the specific knowledge to back up why I was thinking that

no problem, check out the black agenda reports archives if you want to see more about the cooperation between asian Americans and the radical black left. I’m not black and will never understand what being black in America entails, solidarity between poc will come from advocating for our shared class interests and not any kind of disingenuous liberal pandering (“eat each other’s food!”)