Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ghostbusters is the best film.

No, really. You don't need a background to this film because I'm sure 99% of you grew up on it. However, what I thought might be nice is to explore this film a little more deeply than you might be inclined to because of your familiarity with it.

Re-watching Ghostbusters as an adult was eye-opening. It was my first DVD, too, so it was almost like I was seeing it for the first time. Somewhere between being a teenager and an adult, I'd developed a love for production design in film. I'm not sure what caused it - probably the brief love I had for Star Trek - but when I saw Ghostbusters on DVD as opposed to mangy VHS, I fell in love with this film and I credit this movie with pushing me into looking for a career in film.

I'm not going to run with a CGI vs practical theme because that's never really interested me. Maybe it's more of a "they don't make them like they used to" thing. Ghostbusters is one of the earliest - and arguably best - examples of the "horror comedy" genre, although it's obviously more a comedy than a horror. If anything, it's a buddy movie - 4 guys blundering through a series of misadventures and then saving the world in spite of themselves. This angle is one of the film's many strengths - you'd watch these four in a film about turnip farmers, and you'd enjoy it. So even so the roles aren't exactly stretching any boundaries - Venkman (Murray) is the hustler, Stantz (Ackroyd) is the manchild, Spengler (Ramis) is the brains and Zeddemore (Hudson) is the everyman link to the audience - it doesn't matter, because you connect with these guys straight away.

Not to mention that there's precious little actual ghostbusting in the film - in fact there's only one "trapping" sequence before the finale. Everything else is about the journey, and it's those relationships peppered with gags that make the film feel so satisfying when it's actually quite light on it's title content. So how does it manage to come together as well as it does? Well, I'm not here to talk about the comedy or even really the plot, because the roles they have in the film are obvious. What I want to write about here is the other side to Ghostbusters - it's luscious art design and just what it does for the film.

What is amazing about Ghostbusters to me is that it's a genuinely beautiful film. Although it's been "corrected" in some DVD releases, the entire film has a light purple cast over it, which, when combined with the NYC architecture, give a wonderful feel of something not quite being right in the city. Spooky, but only ever so slightly. This look was enhanced by modifications to the NYC skyline; Dana Barrett's apartment block featured a tremendous Sumerian temple on it's roof, achieved through a combination of matte painting and miniatures. Lined with gargoyles and featuring a beautiful etching depicting events of the film - which sadly can barely be seen on screen - the temple was the work of legendary production designer John DeCuir, who was probably best known for his work on Cleopatra (the 1963 Elizabeth Taylor version).

In fact, the full-size set was so immense that it was not only several feet off the ground at it's lowest point, and nearly 35ft high, but the enourmous 360 degree NYC panoramic painting that set required almost every generator the studio had to light it. No corner was cut. The best part of all of this, for me, is that so much effort was expended not only to amuse you, but also to involve you. Look at that set. It's ridiculous. But it's also beautiful. Every aspect of this film was gone over countless times - from the wild initial concept to the more grounded final story - until it was honed to perfection. The art department was no exception. Comedy film or not, the art dept produced a film that looked better than many dramas or even sci-fi epics of it's day - but never at the expense of the humour. The tone of the art design was spot on, and impeccable in every way. They were serious about being funny. For example, how ridiculous is this matte painting?

But it's also kind of understated. That's the beauty - quite literally - of Ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters is often referred to as one of the quintessential NYC films - probably only just behind the original Pelham 123 in my book - and that's because the film is stuffed full of character. You can see it in the millions of different types of extras they use, and their brash characterisations. It's there in that finely layered detail (the Stay Puft billboards), and it's also because it captures that sense of scale - a huge city, teeming with life (or death, in this case). Although not the focus of the film, and certainly not the most outright stunning camerawork you'll ever see, László Kovács' cinematography captured that NYC spirit perfectly. The frame is almost never empty, and when it is, it's for one purpose - to highlight the enormity of the challenge ahead of our heroes. There are several shots in Ghostbusters that are tremendously wide. Not only is it a nice excuse to show the NYC skyline shrouded in that gentle purple cast, but it also serves to highlight the enormity of the city vs the Ghostbusters - a nice reflection of their uphill struggle against the EPA and the Police.

It's a dirty city and they're doing a dirty job - and who knows what is lurking in those streets?

Prop design is another aspect that Ghostbusters excels in. These comedy props were rigorously designed to feel tangible and real. The Proton Pack may in fact have been fibreglass castings of styrofoam shapes covered with pneumatic fittings, but they looked heavy and every bit as dangerous as Spengler implied. In fact, their design more than slightly echoes another bit of early 80's nuclear design - the plutonium reactor from Back to the Future's DeLorean time machine:

You believe in these props these comedy actors are holding. Better still, you think they're awesome and you want your own Proton Pack. A lot of this is helped not only by their solid, clunking, lock-together design, but also the sense of procedure that goes with their use. Full of fearful respect for their equipment, you're laughed through every flick of the oh-god-will-this-kill-us switch. You're enamoured with these devices capable of unleashing more devastation than any WMD - hang on, isn't this a comedy? The industrial design behind Ghostbusters was on a par with any sci-fi of the day (or since, only matched by Cameron and Scott with Aliens and Blade Runner, in my opinion). While not as well designed or as functional as BTTF's DeLorean, the Ghostbuster's car is, much like the rest of the film, larger than life.

Made from a hearse based on the 1959 Cadillac (what else), Ecto-1 is a shiny, chromed, flashing leviathan. Despite it having no real in-film function, it's tremendous presence is the perfect counterpart to the nuclear-powered chancers who drive around inside it. It has all the bravado and front of Venkman, all the technology of Spengler, and the brawn and energy of Stantz. Once you see it on screen you realise it - there is just no other car these guys could drive.

By now, you're thinking, yeah, I get it. So what? It's a good looking film and a lot of love went into it.

Well, it all comes together in the end. No-one needs to be reminded of what happens at the end of the film, but just for the sake of it, let me post this screencap.

This is a working example of what Harold Ramis refers to as the "The Domino Theory of Reality". Everything has been leading up to this one shot where a hundred-foot tall, corporate mascot rendered in malignant marshmallow appears. It's a brilliant moment, fantastically revealed, and despite being so incredibly over the top, it just manages not to break your immersion in the film. Why is this?

Gradually, things have started to fall into place. You've witnessed the impossible and downright ridiculous happen on your journey to this moment. But for every bout of insanity, it's flanked on one side by an incredulous but grounded core cast, and on the other, solid, believable art design, which puts you in a world where this can happen. You didn't think the Proton Packs and the Ghost Traps were silly. Even Ecto-1, which is best described as utterly flamboyant is presented to you in such a way that, yeah, you're laughing at it's appearance, but you're also excited for it to start doing it's thing. Every little step in the film has been leading you deeper into a world where you can totally accept the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man as being a credible threat to our heroes.

So this, for me, is why Ghostbusters is an absolute triumph of movie making. From the first scenes which mix dusty libraries with bleeping props that have waving antenna, to the midpoint with gigantic, gaudy cars and explosive backpacks inside regal hotel ballrooms, from the final art-deco-Sumerian-God-showdown - all the while strengthened straight through the middle with a rock-solid ensemble cast - Ghostbusters carefully and precisely delivers you to a joyous, over the top denouement. In that one single moment, everything you've seen, every little set-up falls into place, and you probably didn't even realise why. It's the perfection combination of all the different disciplines that go in to film-making. Better yet, it never insults the audience with it's preposterousness, or smashes down the fourth wall in order to get a cheap laugh. Sure, the joke is on you, but it's also on the Ghostbusters themselves.

Original OP courtesy of echoplex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just really miss having a Ghostbusters thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ehud posted:

Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies and I especially love the scene where Ray and Winston talk about Judgment Day in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6hI423gcw

I always wondered what other conversations the guys had when they were driving around in between jobs.

"Hey Ray, you ever dream about ghosts?"
"N..no."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spirit Halloween are doing a bunch more GB props this year.

Last year they put out an absolutely awesome 80% scale electronic proton pack that sold like absolute hot cakes. It's the one on the left:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That line’s from GB2, which isn’t as good, but still has some good bits. But I’ll agree the script for 1 is gold from start to finish.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s something I keep meaning to write. There’s lots to like in GB2016, but it just doesn’t quite gel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This reminds me I want to read the crossover comic. There’s apparently explanations for how the GB2016 equipment functions the way it does. Like, why have a ghost trap at all if you can just throw a grenade or run them through a shredder?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I should give it another watch, it’s on Netflix UK, and I own the extended cut Blu-ray (it was like £5 on Amazon). I did just remember that it absolutely wastes Charles Dance on a rehash of the Austin Powers bit about penis pumps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is Fox still running Ghosted with Craig Robinson and Adam Scott? Does anyone watch that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It feels like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to bring across that the ghosts are a legitimate and serious threat, but also have a wacky workplace comedy about not getting enough dumplings in their wonton soup. Tonally it’s all over the place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm about to visit NYC for the first time with my boyfriend in a month, and yeah the Firehouse is definitely on my list of things to see. I'm glad to hear all the scaffolding is down now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

Going to the firehouse is a spiritual pilgrimage. :v:

I did a few other things that were fun.
*Sat right where Bill Murray did on the Columbia University campus when they went into business for themselves.

PS The_Doctor, I recognize your av from the lego thread. Go to the lego store at Rockefeller Center. The have neat displays and sculptures, and the Statue of Liberty minifig magnet is a cool souvenir. :)

I thought where Ray and Peter were sat was fenced off?

And yes, I plan to! We're staying with my friend who lives in Hells Kitchen, so I'll be pretty central for everything!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh hey, this could be fun to play in NY if it's out by then:

https://twitter.com/GBW_AR/status/1025116379442106369

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

The firemen love having tourists / visitors, and at least the last time I was there they still have the GB2 sign in the garage.

Aww, really? That's good to know! :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does the pole still work?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

You gotta try this pole!

Name of Ray’s sex tape.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

Dean Yeager's turn around and smile move is one of the finest bits of physical comedy in cinema.

It's really great. GB1 is full of tiny wonderful moments you can miss in 50 viewings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_vHbFQRT3Y

Also, I just found this extended/deleted cut of the scene that I can't recall having ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtslDRp4bT8

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The 4K Blu-ray apparently has a really good transfer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yesterday I was realizing that I really want an XCOM: Ghostbusters

Oh, that would be fun. Yes, do that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In an absolute first, Rick Moranis is appearing at the Alamo City Comic Con in San Antonio in October. Photo/meet&greet fees are insultingly expensive, however.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghostbusters: Dimension, the VR game experience based at Madame Tussauds in NY is closing on Sep 30th. I'm in NYC next week and I'm curious to try. Anyone been? Is it worth the money?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I landed in NYC today, and I’m staying about 5 blocks from here:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Freaky.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Finally ticked off one of my life goals.

Here’s a unique fixer-upper:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Every time I visit New York (which isn't a lot) I always go there, it's always... Surreal. Love it!

It was a great moment, although it’s much.. shorter then I expected? Like, the cartoon makes it look like a tall thin building, and I feel like the way it’s shot in the film that seem to slim it up a little?

Still, it was fantastic to see in person, and I’m glad I got that clear street shot of it. I’d have loved to look inside but I’d have felt bad ringing the doorbell or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

The firefighters there are used to tourists and are happy to let them have a look around (although the actual firehouse interior shots in the movies were done in Los Angeles).

But I am English and never want to put anyone out or cause a fuss.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't been to a fire house since I was a kid, but yeah, firemen are generally pretty chill, they're not cops

Good, because ACAB

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

IAP ahoy! To change your appearance, buy gems!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

You were the poster going to NYC on vacation, weren't you? I'd be interested if the game has anything special around the movie sites.

I was! I did! I had been hoping the game was out when I got to NYC but no such luck. :/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I’ve had a decent roster turn up without even leaving my house, and I’ve got 2 gates in that radius too.

“Forget about cockroaches. It's the subway rats you gotta worry about. Big as beavers!”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

GORDON posted:

I am jealous of your stove exhaust hood. My kitchen isn't built right for that.

It’s a fantastic kitchen all over. The major downside is we’re moving out in a week. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

I've wanted to open a box like this for most of my life and now it is finally here. :shobon: Gonna be lots of fun putting it together.

I hope you all like progress pics, because you are getting a poo poo ton.

Oh, here's a link if you are interested. :shepspends:

Holy poo poo, I thought the Anovos kits were never going to actually happen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

Yeah, I waited more than a year and half after ordering to get mine. When I paid they were going $600, because they are now $950 I assume they hosed up their estimate of materials+labor pretty significantly at first. They've added a bunch of newer, hotter licenses in the meantime which probably put it on the back burner. I'm glad I didn't cancel my order though.

Anovos are currently having their Black Friday sale with 35% off in stock items, putting the proton pack back at $600 for now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is the main shell actually metal?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Merry Christmas from Hook & Ladder 8!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why didn't they set Ghostbusters 2016 in Boston? They could have done cool stuff with colonial era ghosts and given it an original spin instead of making a lukewarm remake of the original. That was my biggest issue, if you're going to do a remake it has to be at least as good as the original, otherwise just do something new with the same base ideas.

Large parts of it were filmed in Boston anyway, so it makes more sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I still want a Ghostbusters XCOM set in New Orleans :colbert:

Working on it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

What I remember of the game was that it was fun in bursts, but overall kind of repetitive. The story also didn't do much for me, rehashing Gozer again. It has the same problem as the other two follow-ups to the original movie - it very much feels like "Well, I guess we need to make another one!"

It's quite fun, with a decent script, but you can tell where the seams are. Like, the museum curator character voiced by Alyssa Milano was meant to be Dana Barrett, but Sigourney Weaver declined to be in the game (something she apparently now regrets). It goes over the first movie beats, going after Slimer at the Sedgewick, fighting Stay-Puft, and then shines more as it starts doing its own thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Didn't Murray also have some bizarre request asking that all four Ghostbusters appear equally, not realizing that isn't how video games work?

He requested that Winston get equal screen time because Ernie Hudson has typically got the shaft in the past, which is surprisingly decent of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:same:

It’s a shame GB2 gets almost dumped to the wayside, when I’d be more than interested to see some behind the scenes info about it. I can imagine even Danny would be willing to do a commentary on it.