Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Go see the new Ghostbusters, bub. (no spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfiMsKBplks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just saw it about 2 hours ago. Really wanted to like it a lot but I just didn't find it very funny (although part of this might have been my empty theater). It was also way too referential to the original and I found a certain aspect of it very ghoulish and off-putting. I guess I'm getting old and grumpy. :( bummer

Edit: oh but I did want to say that all the actors did a great job in their roles. Not a bad performance here imo

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 24, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You know in the software industry there's this idea that a certain core of programmers are "evangelical" about certain products and that they ultimately drive adoption and use throughout the industry by constantly pushing for it at their place of work and through recommending them on the Internet. While I don't think this maps 1:1 with fanboy weirdoes on the Internet, I think that it's a lot easier to goose people who are already invested in your IP into raving about it then it is to build an entirely new audience while the O.G. core group you alienated screams bloody murder. (obviously I am not saying that the complete and utter bullshit around GB2016 is appropriate or ok. it's disgusting and disheartening).

"This ain't your daddy's <whatever>" seems to be one of those core ideas that marketing/execs love but never actually works in reality.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I don't know if I want to see a bunch of Ghostbusters business movies where they're in corporate cutthroat situations. On the other hand, I watched RGB as a kid and I thought it wasn't bad at all but I can't imagine just making a movie about bustin' the latest big bad, not sure if that works either.

All my opinion here but I think what makes GB works is that it has very strong character archetypes that are embodied by generational comic talents in very quotable and iconic scripts that are clever. I know it's not cool right now to call anything clever but I think GB (and even GB2, although way way less) are actually for-real clever movies that make you laugh with absurd scripted moments and comedy character work. They are interesting! The idea of eggs jumping out of their shells and cooking themselves on a counter is a weird and interesting idea, and it's a throwaway gag in GB. This is where GB16 falls down hard. It just isn't interesting. GB16 has large stretches where it's an improv exercise around ghost bustin' so it loses almost everything that makes the first one great. It's not a very clever movie (Mike Hat is clever! people like that part), the characters archetypes are there but because it's all on the shoulders of the actors (and not on 3 coked-up friends who spend months creating and refining gags until they absolutely sang) it just doesn't work very well. And G:A didn't land for me because it's very rarely clever (although there are some cool ideas that I did enjoy, but they are fairly fleeting and sandwiched between a bunch of poo poo that apes the first movie) and the character moments are fine, but they usually aren't funny at all and aren't trying to be.

A note on GB2: The last bunch of posts in this thread have been talking about how lukewarm they were on GB2 (and I am too) but almost literally everything Louis says in that movie is adorably quotable. "I was born to wear this stuff" and such. He's a great character and if you took him out GB2 would be a lot worse for it. This is why I think the scripting and talent is so important in these films. The Ghostbusters IP is probably one of the trickiest franchises to manage because it's built on a couple of singular events (the movie and the RGB, which was helmed by a team type that doesn't really exist in children's television anymore) that are not repeatable on demand. It will take a while before these elements line up again, IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 6, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Literally nothing about that video was what I expected. Pretty pro-click here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Everyone posted:

For me the most amazing thing was how good Sigourney Weaver looked for 72, especially compared to Ackroyd and Murray. During the final scenes the movie seemed less ghostbusters and more Ghosts vs. Zombies.

Kinda mean-spirited to poo poo on those guys for not having a bunch of work done and actually letting themselves age. (tbh I did refer to them as Damned Ackroyd and Ill Murray to a friend)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 8, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Did Sigourney Weaver actually have work done or are you assuming a woman must have had cosmetic surgery if she aged remotely well?

What an odd conclusion to jump to. I assume anyone in Hollywood who doesn't look their age has had work done. When I think of celebs who have had work done I think of Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Stallone, hell I recently watched the Hulu series Only Murders in the Building and so Steve Martin and Martin Short are on my mind as far as "has definitely had work".

The point was more like, hey let's lay off people like Brendan Frasier and Helen Hunt (and yes, Murray and Ackroyd), who apparently lack Weaver's spectacular genetics and aren't having much work done. This isn't an insult at them - they don't look "bad", they just look like they've actually aged the appropriate amount.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 9, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah I didn't find Gozer sadistic at all. They just wanted to do their Sumerian God poo poo. They even played by their own rules and made a big-rear end marshmallow man, which didn't go well. Thank God Ray didn't think of Alien or something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also that's not Gozer, that's one of Gozer's minions delighting in it. Vince seems like kind of a dick tbh

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Alan_Shore posted:

Streaming is good but you cant beat Blu Ray for quality

Also, they won't suddenly decide to re-color grade or re-edit my copy, or just say "you don't own this anymore" and vanish it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ALFbrot posted:

What? Netflix didn't bankroll the series. It only ever had international streaming rights to it. In the US, it's always been on CBS All Access, which I've only just now realized morphed into Paramount+

It's in the process of further morphing into the Taylor Sheridan Channel.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

I also appreciate GB2 for being set in the lead-up to New Year's Eve because I like having seasonal stuff to rewatch when a particular month or holiday comes around. Usually I'll watch Ghostbusters around Christmas and then GB2 right before the New Year.

I also love movies that give concrete dates, with years and everything. Dates the movie in a good way.

"Why don't you give me a jingle in the year 2000?"

Anyway, Ghostbusters was a big part of the greatest summer of my childhood, and I like it.

And Ghostbusters 2 was one of four movies my mom pulled me out of school with my brother to go see (I was in High School, lol).

Ghostbusters meant a lot to me. It still does, but the weepy nostalgic poo poo from Afterlife was a huge turn off and I am not excited at all for the new movie. Ghostbusters needs to be actually funny.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Since I grew up in the 80s, I idolized Bill Murray, and I still think he was an incredible talent - but man is he a jerkass IRL.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SatansOnion posted:

"sex comedy"? :chloe: is one implied ghost blowie really all it takes to be called that these days?

There's a major plot point between the almost unbearably smitten Venkmann and Dana Barrett.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well it's definitely not entirely a sex comedy, but that aspect is there.

Louis being obviously smitten with Dana (but a nice enough guy that he just invites her over anyway with her date). The odd interlude where Louis suddenly becomes a ladies man and dances with the blonde. Spengler and Jeanine's relationship. All of Venkmann's innuendo and come-ons.

Plus Ray gets a blowie from a ghost, yeah.

There's just a lot of free-floating libido and excess in the movie. Slimer is a big old glutton (famously, he's supposed to be Belushi, but nobody these days is going to have any idea about that and is just going to read it as piggish). Being possessed makes you horny. Body fluids abound. It's a very earthy flick. Even Ghostbusters 2 has that. Slime, changing diapers, dirty laundry jokes, ONCE AGAIN being possessed makes Yannish horny.

Plus Ray fucks a toaster, yeah.

Honestly other than being a nostalgia trap, Afterlife sucks because like all modern movies it's got the heart of the professional managerial class. Bloodless, passionless, prudish. No blood or sweat in any of this poo poo anymore.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Moving past the yonnic imagery of a glowing trap that sucks up lifeforce and shouldn't be looked at, I confess that it took me years to catch on that Egon was signaling to Venkmann when he's quoting the price for bustin' to the hotel manager. I blame VHS, which cuts him off entirely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ElectricSheep posted:

Speaking of, 80s movies really liked their disgraced scientists

80s Hollywood just loved science in general (Weird Science, Real Genius, Buckaroo Banzai), no doubt influenced by the creature features they grew up with and the world-changing and highly visible evolution of consumer tech that was happening all around them.

"Creature features" are now dead so the perversions of science gone wild (and the hedonistic go-go 80s that bought into it) are a quaint relic. Tech has stagnated into empty promises of AI liberation.

In 20 years this AI fervor is going to lead to some fascinating movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really wonder what people get out of taking ambiguous information about fictional characters in the worst faith possible and turning them into rapists and pedos. Is it entertaining for them to imagine Venkmann as a date rapist? It must be, on some level.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oberndorf posted:

A quick lookup suggests that, in addition to its more well known sedative properties and antipsychotic effects, Thorazine is (or was, given the better options) an oral antinausea medication as well as a treatment for refractory hiccoughs. Lord knows I’ve never seen it used for nausea before and I’ve only seen two refractory hiccough cases in 11 years, but Ghostbusters has now given me another gift.

*squints at bottle* Side effects include: talking in a demonic voice! Hold on a minute here!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Less post busting more Ghostbusting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just call this WhyILoveMovies.jpg

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm sure it's been posted before but since we're doing rad behind the scenes stuff, here's a 1984 Showest promo for the movie they sent to distributors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpumEZmxa0

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I would describe it as "Capri Sun with hints of Mountain Dew" but that makes me sound like a juicebox sommelier which is kind of pathetic.

I stand by it though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

8one6 posted:

The cleanup after gb2 must have been a hell of an ordeal. Even if they were able to walk the Statue of Liberty back the same way the took it for a stroll in the first place the harbor authority has to deal with a hundred year old cruise ship with a big fuckoff hole in the middle.

They have one of those in Long Beach California, without the hole. It's called the Queen Mary and it's a museum and tourist attraction, does very well as far as I know.

poo poo, I myself would pay to get a walking tour of the actual Titanic!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah the events of GB1 and GB2 are confined entirely to New York and everything goes back to baseline after; much like the Berlin Wall coming down it meant a lot to people affected by it and was not much more than an interesting news item and touchstone moment to everyone else.

It is fun to speculate on just how much of an impact those events made, but as somebody with kids who lived through a "Never Forget" experience: they forgot, big time, and we're only 20 years on from that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

90sgamer posted:

Most Americans have already forgotten about the entirety of 2020

LOL no they have not. What an absolutely insane thing to say.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A Fancy Hat posted:

Love to see my favorite comedy film turned into whatever the hell this is.

Yeah. Whoever this is for, it's not me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The really sad/unhealthy reality here seems to be that older people have formed parasocial relationships with media characters because they don't have real friends or that their current life isn't fufilling in some vital way.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you're reading what I've wrote and taken it to mean all nostalgia, and not a very specific kind of pandering and storytelling that this movie (and others) seems to be engaging in, then that's my fault for not communicating effectively.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

But of course the way our culture is today, we're constantly bombarded with the kind of nostalgia pandering that I think Megaman is referring to. So now more than ever, if you do have that tendency to overly immerse yourself in nostalgia, pop culture and our current media landscape will shovel that poo poo down your gullet until you explode like that dude in Se7en. It can definitely be a negative thing.

It's a problem with almost everything in this cursed algorithmic age tbh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I kinda liked the line by line response. Brought me back to 1995 newsgroups. Now somebody needs to post a 15 paragraph analysis of the latest episode of the X-Files and how it ties into the ongoing mythology, and the feeling will be complete.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I wouldn't care about the sloppy and ham-handed Ghostbusters Nostalgia Tour if it was actually funny, but it's not funny at all. I am all for filmmaker pandering - a lot of what get thrown around as "fanservice" is ill-conceived - but when every other element bends to "remember this thing? remember that thing?" it damages the film at the foundation, IMO.

On the other hand if you just want boxes ticked, yeah Afterlife is better than 2016. Neither are funny but "at least" Afterlife got the demon dogs, the OG busters, a possession, Gozer, Stay-Puft, etc. etc. etc. I personally would have given all that stuff up for actual jokes and funny stuff but alas, the billion dollar conglomerate and successful director did not consult me, a nobody, on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I always felt bad about stuff like that as a kid, I felt like i outgrew some things i really enjoyed too fast, Particularly kids show voice acting. I remember one day sitting down to watch cartoons one sunday morning and realizing i couldn't stand to listen to half the shows i used to really like. To this day the sound of most 80's sidekick mascot characters, or adults voicing kids is like nails on a chalkboard.

He-Man's VA was the first "something's not right here" experience for me, but it wasn't consistent.