Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
And in the sequel he also avoids all the icky stuff, essentially avoids being a Ghostbuster until the final 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
They will reboot Ghostbusters forever if this new film bombs. It is crazy the fan base is so blind to the indifference of quality attached to the brand. They will literally sign off the GB logo being used on anything to make money. I am not invested in a new film but hope it really breaks away and stands on it's own feet.

On social media the majority of the fan reaction was 'the old team need to be in it :bahgawd: ' as if they didn't looked ancient enough in Afterlife. The only way out of this is a quality product that completely breaks from the originals whilst acknowledging them I think.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alan_Shore posted:

Venkman had the biggest laugh in Afterlife. It also seems kinda gross and wrong to be like "these guys look old, get them the gently caress off my screen"

Like you couldn't mine comedy or tell a compelling story about the old ghostbusters

I love the actors, but these people want just the old team. Over and over again. Forever. 'Let's see Peter and Dana's story!' If the studio made a new film with the old team that was a GB 2 style 'exact same script different villain' effort they would watch them forever.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's alright. It's pretty simple to play, but there's no player count scaling so you have to have exactly four characters no matter how many players you have.

Gameplay is mostly about rolling dice for high numbers to get a required number of hit points on ghosts to trap them, then dumping them into the car to get XP. The gimmick is that if you switch targets, you remove the hits on your previous target - the idea is that this represents a stream that is increasing in strength as you hold the ghost. Some enemies require more than one character to have a 'stream' to capture.

Meanwhile more ghosts spawn from 'gates' that you can close to stop the spawns.

It's really the dice rolling that drags it down. A few bad rolls in a row can completely screw the whole team. I'd love to see the same concept implemented with a Gloomhaven style card system for movement and combat.

You didn't mention the slime removal, oh god the slime removal.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Seeing the farce the Hasbro Aliens Pulse Rifle pre-orders have degenerated into I am concerned the exclusivity of the Proton Packs might be walked back. Lol at the scalpers of course but it will be annoying if I gave them a hefty wad of cash for my order only to see people with theirs from 3rd party sellers before mine arrives.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Great pictures! Your outfit and props are awesome too. It looks like it was a fun shoot.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I only just found out she was a playmate, I feel like teenage me could have used this information.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Supposedly people are getting emails fron Haslab promising imminent shipping of the packs. This has awoken all the crazy people on the facebook groups.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To be fair it was only one guy writing an essay about how when your pack turns up damaged don't accept it send it back and demand a new one because he did it with his Haslab barge or something. Some massive assumptions there.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Supposedly the european Zavvi pack orders have shipped.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ghostbusters Dublin has posted an unboxing picture, not sure if they were Zavvi order or not.

Edit: they ordered from Zavvi. Good old Hasbro serving the third party first.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There is a healthy amount of middle aged men crying about not getting their packs yet balancing out the smug 'it looks like a toy' brigade.

You could make the raddest pack ever and smelt the metal yourself, it's still a toy.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My pack has arrived. Jesus gently caress this box is huge.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I foolishly thought I had D batteries but they were C batteries. Put some in tonight and it is sweet, wand connection works. I just wish I had more time to do more than admire it at the moment, I flicked the cyclotron switches but not sure if I did it right as it seemed to not work when I did that. More investigation needed.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Acaster getting cucked by ethereal Mr Bean, that's the movie right there.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The outrage on the spirit mod groups is fantastic.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
At least they can't bring back Ron Jeremy for Firehouse.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So I went back and re-watched GB2016 just now and I am conflicted. Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth are great, obviously and when the jokes hit, they absolutely hit. But there are a few sequences where the initial gag doesn't hit but they plough on trying to find a punchline that is never going to come and it's like, please, just move on. It also doesn't help that the plot is piss weak and seems to hit its inevitable run to the end about halfway through and so it drags the ending out way beyond any tolerance on my behalf. Also, Melissa McCarthy is sneaky good at keeping the whole thing together when she's not talking about soup

RLM made a good edit of the scene before they make their first bust bascially showing it should have had a dramatic pause before the punchline instead of Feig encouraging constant talking from everyone, pretty much tracks. A lot of the comedy in Ghostbusters in as much about what isn't being said as what is, in tightly written scenes.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
:siren: :siren: :siren: Hasbro are announcing something Ghostbusters related tonight :siren: :siren: :siren:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
So they teased a teaser video :confused:

https://youtu.be/FUuoaegfUR4?si=K5HBrpwWmWxupYLg

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
So people think there are clues from that video, the guy focuses on the Kenner PKE and Trap with his flashlight then looks at the camera and smiles, plus at the end of the video when it says 'There's definitely something there' the PKE sound effect plays.

As much as my bank cant take it I would definitely prefer a trap/PKE to the same standard as the pack and thrower than firehouse etc. Unless they did Blitzway standard collectables I would probably pass.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Haslab is Afterlife PKE Meter with taser prong and ghost trap.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
https://uk.hasbropulse.com/products...2jzmmu1KjKt2J6Q

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I rewatched GB2 yesterday funnily enough (the 4K disc is gorgeous) but I think in hindsight as an adult that Bill Murray is actually the main antagonist in the film. He really resisted suiting up until he absolutely had to.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

banned from Starbucks posted:

Poor Ronnie. Never could catch a break.

Then when he does talk and say he thinks he's being followed they ignore him.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm glad they brought in more customisation in general, I made my character a Kylie Griffin knock off when it launched as every multiplayer game was just a team of giant buff dudes.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I really want one of those slimer Alamo drafthouse pint glasses but I live in the UK so am doomed :negative:

$15 a glass os gonna be $150 scalped on ebay, right?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TL posted:

I hope Judge Wexler suits up.

I hope wooden line delivery 'yes I told you to stop cutting' cop from GB2 suits up.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That AMC Slimer Popcorn bucket is rough compared to the promo images.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
IGN just reviewed Frozen Empire 4/10.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Actually double post, but I was watching a clip from the late show with Seth Myers the other day (we don't get those shows in the UK) and I found out loving James Acaster is in this and that really bummed me out. He's a poo poo comedian and do not get why he would have a role in this. Perhaps better IMO if it went to John Oliver or someone more deserving.

I'm hoping he gets terrorised by a spectral Rowan Atkinson.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Been hyped up all day and watched all the films today before going to the cinema, wore my shirt, the cinema was cool they had a local GB group turned up with an Ecto One. I got a collectible cup, the cinema really pushed the boat out making it feel special for the opening weekend, all the music inside was soundtrack from the 84 and 89 films.

Unfortunately I hated it. There were a few nice ideas and a couple of scenes I liked but in general I felt it dragged far too much. I hope I like it more on rewatch at home without any distraction but right now it's a bit of a letdown.

Just to add I wasn't hyped for Frozen Empire to be amazing or anything, I just wanted it to be more of a Ghostbusters film than Afterlife. It is, but it definitely left me cold.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 23, 2024

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The more I think about it, I think the main problem with Frozen Empire for me personally is the focus mainly being on interpersonal relationships within the team. I totally understand why that was done and almost had to be done following from Afterlife but as said that isn't really the vibe of Ghostbusters for me, i'd rather all that was shelved in favour of a lot more of the good stuff but I know it was integral to the plot.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I saw something the other day confirming they are still making an animated series for Netflix. If they did Extreme Ghostbusters or RGB in an X-Men 97 style that could be good, I suspect it won't be that.

The best I can personally hope for in terms of live action projects going forward is a Andor style spin off that is aimed at a more mature audience, obviously not the same themes as Andor but there was a nice little section in FE which started to go more into horror which I'd love to see more of, unfortunately you can't merchandise that to kids like mini pufts.

I can't wait to see the split in the fanbase amongst the people who have rabidly attacked any criticism of Frozen Empire and also can't get over 2016 when Pheobe is inevitably revealed as LGBTQIA+ in the next movie, I mean she was in this one but to quote RLM 'there was plausible deniability'.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
He was very much the hot property in 80's nostalgia when Afterlife was casting, that's it I think.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Looking at the collage images on social media there are so many scenes across the trailers that weren't in the movie I hope they are included on the physical release, preferably a director's cut but even just deleted scenes extras would be nice. Even though I was really bummed after seeing FE I am a completionist physical media collector and I figured if I have all the other GB 4K steels I should pick this one up, the art is nice too:

Still annoyed Afterlife is the only one that never got a nice art steel, even 2016 did.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The weirdest thing is given the amount of emphasis that has been put on Murray being in this one there is definitely one scene with him in that was in the trailer but cut from the final version, you'd think they'd just be cramming every usable second of him they had in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SatansOnion posted:

having also felt alienated from the last couple of films, I'd gladly go for following some completely new character and their struggles to organize a Ghostbusters' Union while also dealing with their paranatural day-to-day

Mike from RLM suggested this in their Afterlife review and said it should have been Ghostbusters franchises wanting to Unionise and CEO Venkman telling them to gently caress off, causing a strike and a world threatening problem to solve.

All studios want to replicate even a fraction of the brand power Marvel had a few years back, the vast majority of people turned up to the cinema to watch GOTG with no prior knowledge of the series purely because it was a Marvel film and at the time that was almost a guarantee it was good.

Ghostbusters is probably one of the strongest brands around right now in terms of die hard fanbase and merchandising opportunities, they really will merchandise anything. I saw $20 bags of coffee with slimer on the other day. The studio will absolutely run this poo poo into the ground. Ever since they worked out kids love it it's been a goldmine.

All we can do is hope for decent releases but be prepared for dumb stuff. This is why I said I hope there might be an opportunity to run one of these spinoffs if not the main series as a more solid horror effort. I always felt that the original worked because it is a horror film where everyone except the heroes play it straight and the heroes crack wise to avoid getting too scared.