Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of these days I'll get around to watching GB2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Squashing Machine posted:

Make sure to get yourself a piping hot Papa Johns and several cans of Pringles so you can really get the full experience on your Sony television

Pringles are good though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

Is Fox still running Ghosted with Craig Robinson and Adam Scott? Does anyone watch that?

It got cancelled, and the last two in sequence episodes we're really good. I liked it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Aaaand, now I want to watch Ghostbusters again. Is there more than one Blu-ray, and if so, which one is the best one?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note that they also included the step-away-from-the-unlicenced-nuclear-accelerator gag in the equivalent scene in GB2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoSzqHlvN6s&t=83s

... but just in case you missed it, they do they stepping-back-from-the-untested-equipment gag again later on, and one of the characters even announces they're doing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lw7GJh31nM

I don't like this :whitewater:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also compare Peter's sarcastic "Successful test!" quip and Ray's oblivious "I guess so" response to the reactions in GB'16.

It's really weird picking individual gags from GB'84 and seeing whether they repeat them in GB'16 and how often. They had another untested-equipment-let's-hope-it-doesn't-kill-us scene earlier in the film and they reeeeally laboured the "Oops, hope you don't die" aspect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4bRwYs1tI
They also repeat the "He slimed me!" gag which they'd already done earlier in the film.

Really the only thing that worked for me in that entire scene was the "do you know your iron level" line, even Wiig's response didn't work. Watching these clips, it's like there's a lot of little things that could work, but fall 100% flat because they're not playing it straight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

The tone of GB2016 honestly makes more sense if you view it as a live action reboot of The Real Ghostbusters, rather than the 1984 film. If carries about the same stakes and consequences as a Saturday morning cartoon, while eschewing nearly any real horror elements.

But the again TRGB had The Bogeyman, which was a lot more impactful than anything in GB2016, so it even fails at that.

poo poo, that episode where Slimer ran away and nearly got absorbed into a giant ghost gave me nightmares.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yesterday I was realizing that I really want an XCOM: Ghostbusters

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

That exists, very specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUtgs-vB7hM

Unfortunately it kinda sucks. Buggy, poorly translated, unbalanced weapon selection, arbitrarily gated content, bad art, no real effort to have an overarching plot or escalate anything. It's really fun for a little bit, then all the problems start to pile up.

My dream of this would be more like New XCOM/XCOM 2, where it takes place in say 1992, and a Ghostbusters franchise is setting up in New Orleans, with some overarching voodoo plot. Really I just want to have the Skyranger loading screens replaced with Ecto I.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

It's, uh, relatively easy to tell when a firehouse is busy. :v:

Anyway, the guys there are really nice, and they still have the GB2 sign in the garage. They even let me turn on the lights and honk one of the engine horns. :unsmith:

I haven't been to a fire house since I was a kid, but yeah, firemen are generally pretty chill, they're not cops

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GORDON posted:

I am jealous of your stove exhaust hood. My kitchen isn't built right for that.

Do you live in Reform, Alabama?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I still want a Ghostbusters XCOM set in New Orleans :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

The game was really crying out to be open world,. Driving around New York in the Ecto1 bustin ghosts would rule.
Not to mention the in game currency was earned with the same photography mechanic as Beyond Good and Evil, but not being open world meant you could only take pictures of the ghosts when they were attacking you.

Considering I haven't played it since it came out, I seem to remember liking it being on a rail because it felt like you were wading into a disaster.

There alreday was an open world Ghostbusters game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isSEnYkq9u8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(1984_video_game)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
As a kid Venkman was my favorite because I liked Bill Murray. As an adult Winston is my favorite

"Ah, if there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

2019 = 30th anniversary edition? :ohdear:

in glorious 4k :pray:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

Well for starters I wouldn't commit a five picture franchise to it.

I think the best best for a Ghostbusters sequel (if indeed there must be one) is kind of spreading the scope a little bit, though. If you try to recapture the structure of the original movie, you're going to keep failing.

Move the location to a new city, and have it be about a group of franchisees starting up a new ghostbusting outfit. That way it's not really a direct sequel or a reboot, but a side story that has a different set of problems, and you could even have a cameo by a retired ghostbuster giving advice to the new guys or whatever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bacon Terrorist posted:

So you're saying any new GB movie should ditch Ecto 1 :raise:

The OG Ecto 1 was the only hunk of junk they could afford at the time. A new Ecto 1 should be a more current hunk of junk, like a rusty rear end late 80's Suburban

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Actually, having the Ghostbusters mothballed after 2 and then someone finds everything packed away in a barn somewhere is a pretty decent concept IMHO

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

your evil twin posted:

The 2015 Poltergeist remake - mixed reviews, many with the attitude "Why remake Poltergeist?" I've not seen it. But the more positive reviews say stuff like "The new Poltergeist might well be the scariest movie 13-or-unders have yet seen, just as the original was for their parents back in 1982." While others reckoned "It's not exactly a scary film, but it does provide an enjoyable ride."

gently caress this movie!

A couple years back Walmart had a bunch of blu-rays on sale for $5 with a luchadore themed special edition cover. I wasn't planning on buying Poltergeist, but hell Poltergeist was a great movie I hadn't seen in many years, and for $5 I couldn't resist. One dark November morning, I'm pumped up to watch Poltergeist, I pop it in the player and I'm greeted by a lovely CGI menu. I didn't think much of it because lovely menus are a dime a dozen, and it doesn't matter what movie it is. I hit play, and then the menu basically panned out to become a tablet that some kid was playing a game on, and Sam Rockwell is Craig T Nelson.

I love Sam Rockwell, but he couldn't even save that garbage pile of a movie. At least the versions of The Fly, and Child's Play I bought that day weren't terrible remakes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's definitely a concept that lends itself to serialization. I've only seen the two originals and the cartoon, and the cartoon had some genuinely terrifying moments to me as a child.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fist4jesus posted:

You need to remember the context and the audience.
In those days there were only a few big movies a year, a limited vhs library at rental places, one or two movies on tv to choose from a day.

Same as starwars and trek. We just didn't have a lot of high quality stuff to watch and cling to.

The context of availability is something that's generally forgotten to most people. Home video is generally ubiquitous these days, you missed a movie you wanted to see in the theater? Just wait 6 months, and it'll be available On Demand or physical media.

Up until really the early 90's, you had to watch the movies in theaters. I remember some movies would run for what seemed like forever. VHS tapes in the beginning were prohibitively expensive for the average home library, so you had to hope that your preferred Mom and Pop store would get a copy, if you wanted to see it again. Movies ran a lot more on TV back then too, which helped, but it really is a lot different.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why exclude Lucas and Spielberg

Because ET and Return of the Jedi don't count? :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was too young to notice, but I feel like the 80's is when the multiplex cinema took hold.

I remember at one point going to a movie in my grandparent's tiny town, which had a tiny two screen theater with terrible sound. I saw Face Off there, and I wish I was older and could have appreciated just how antiquated the experience itself was. For me I've always lived in a multiplex cinema world, where you can see one of twenty different movies in the same building.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

deoju posted:

Just loving hire the guy.

I'm seriously thinking of boycotting if Winston isn't in it.

Somebody do one of those hashtag things. The kids love them. #GiveUsWinston #MoreZeddemore

:same:

I know it's fan-fictiony, but it's perfect for a passing the torch type movie to have the old ghostbusters drinking around a farmhouse table with the new crew telling old bustin' stories, and getting wistful over Egon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

imagine how much better the world would be if sequels were illegal and wearing merchandise from a show or movie was punishable by death

Sir, this is a Wendy's Drive Thru

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

Baked potato would be a better weapon.

YOu really want the splash damage of some chili

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hell yeah! I'm glad I held off on going for the Blu-Ray! Hopefully it's a good 4k transfer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Im an idiot. Theres a third disc. Still unhappy with the disc stacking.

Same, that third Blu is now permanently located on top of that spindle

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Der Shovel posted:

Aww gently caress I forgot about that.

On the upside when my 4K set gets here I'll have a chance to rewatch GB2 for the first time in a few years!

When Ghostbusters came out on VHS, I was like 7. I desperately wanted to see it, so we went to rent it but the lady who ran our local VHS place (of course we only had one) convinced my mum it was FAR too scary for me. And so I had to wait until I could secretly watch it at a friend's place after school one day. The only scary thing was the zombie cab driver.

I don't recall ever being scared by Ghostbusters, and I watched it a shitton back when I was little.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, nothing complicated but when you're 4 or 5 years old all you think about is the giant loving demon dog that's about to maul Louis so the fact that there was a joke there didn't even register until years later.

I didn't realize that Ray was getting a ghost blowjob until I was about 21 and someone explained it to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

deoju posted:

The text on the marshmallow bag is pretty small. And the mural is pretty faded. Watching a VHS copy on an 18" CRT it'd be easy to miss.

I don't recall the mural, but I definitely didn't notice the bag until DVD

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They actually had the original prop on display at Comic Con!

... It did not age well.

Who would have thought that they used real marshmallows

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

deoju posted:

My mom refused to buy Fearsome Flush because she thought it would promote toilet humor.

My mom hates toilet humor too.

She is also the one who got fed up at someone not flushing (90% chance it was my brother), and told us that the poopy monster would come out of the toilet and get us if we didn't flush.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I need to watch Ragnarok again :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cage posted:

Hello.

I never had the googles, but the foam beam was the first thing to go for me because of "authenticity" or whatever words my child brain would have used

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

:shrug:

He did cameo on The Goldbergs as Dark Helmet a couple years ago.

Didn't they also have Robert Englund cameo as Freddie Kruger last year?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

The Boogeyman from the Real Ghostbusters was scarier than anything in GB2.

Also, that one ghost that had a second mouth in its stomach that ate other ghosts.

Slimer Come Home, that episode hosed me up for a while

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

I was having flashbacks to Super 8

I remember Super 8 being alright. I'm ok with the new Ghostbusters being alright.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jivjov posted:

Was the Ecto-1 gunner seat a thing in other ghostbusters media or did they make that up for this one? As much as I love the original, I have very little knowledge of the other GB projects

Not that I can recall, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some design document that had that in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't like being the guy to poo poo things up, but if you removed all the Ghostbusters iconography from this trailer, it would look to me like a pretty unremarkable young adult fantasy adventure thing.

Young adult fantasy adventure has been popular for decades, in a way Ghostbusters is kind of the perfect property for it.