Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I always figured Steel and Dark were added just because Rock and Ghost weren't doing their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

magikid posted:

I always figured Steel and Dark were added just because Rock and Ghost weren't doing their jobs.

In Gen 1, Ghost was actually nerfed in a way that made Psychic even more broken. Due to a programming error, Psychic was actually immune to Ghost moves instead of weak to them, so that made their only weakness Bug, and there were only 3 attacking Bug moves in that gen. So they tried to nerf Psychic by adding a type immune to it, which helped out some though not in Kanto games as there aren't any Pokemon who were given the dark typing.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
In gen1 I think the only real things that could stand up to psychics were a Pin Missle Jolteon, or a big meaty wall like Snorlax and Chansey. There are so many strong psychics, too; Alakazam, Slowbro, Eggsecutor, Starmie...

MR. J fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 4, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And Dan Green, of course.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

MR. J posted:

In gen1 I think the only real things that could stand up to psychics were a Pin Missle Jolteon, or a big meaty wall like Snorlax and Chansey. There are so many strong psychics, too; Alakazam, Slowbro, Eggsecutor, Starmie...

Slowbro and Starmie have Water type and Exeggcutor Grass type vulnerabilities which are easy enough for most teams to exploit. Exeggcutor in particular melts to a Beedrill's Twineedle (the unexpected niche hero of my all-Bug and all-Poison runs)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

In Gen 1, Ghost was actually nerfed in a way that made Psychic even more broken. Due to a programming error, Psychic was actually immune to Ghost moves instead of weak to them, so that made their only weakness Bug, and there were only 3 attacking Bug moves in that gen. So they tried to nerf Psychic by adding a type immune to it, which helped out some though not in Kanto games as there aren't any Pokemon who were given the dark typing.

Lick was the only non fixed damaging ghost type move so it didnt change squat.

Which also explains a bunch on why that bug wound up in the pile.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Let's not forget Gen 1 also had just the one Special stat, meaning Alakazam and its ilk were defensive powerhouses in addition to offensive ones!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

That's why you roll up with a pure physical attacker and smash their puny defense :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CuwiKhons posted:

That's why you roll up with a pure physical attacker and smash their puny defense :colbert:

And then Tobybro waddles in and just laughs at you. :argh:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
A Good Rod Isn't Actually That Hard To Find

This past week I started biking again for the first time in almost two decades. I'm not sure how it's possible for all the streets in my neighborhood to have a constant upward slope, but apparently the city planners pulled it off. Luckily Kat just had to go downhill. Except for all the times I made her bike back to Celadon, anyway.

Anyway, Fuchsia City.

Before too long there's a pond with some kind of paddle-boat Pokemon swimming around in it.

The map had a Safari Zone marked off in Fuchsia, so I guess this is some sort of mini-dungeon? I'll put that on the list for next time.

The town's not very pink at all. :confused:

I haven't been to a zoo in years. I should do something about that.

Going back through my screenshots to add commentary, my first reaction to this was "oh right, Sara's at the other end of the town waiting for Erik to show up" and then I remembered that that was from Dragon Quest and not this. I need to quit drinking. :smith:

:byodood: Me, too! Huh? That's a POKEMON?

Is looking like a Pokeball some kind of hunting mechanism for the Voltorb? Like, it looks like an unassuming random object until prey comes sniffing around, and then it explodes, and then... wait, that doesn't work.

This guy's talking about the Safari Zone, which definitely sounds like it'll be its own update now.

:corsair: How about some paper lanterns? Aren't there even any calendars?

Maybe they have one of those machines that flattens pennies?

There's an Omanyte in this pen, which the sign says was revived from a fossil. Which reminds me, we're still lugging that fossil from Mount Moon around with us. I wonder if we'll ever get to do anything with it?

:yikes: I'd love to be a substitute for the baby... and snuggle in the mother KANGASKHAN'S belly pouch. But only POKEMON can use the technique SUBSTITUTE...

Incidentally, did you know that the young of kangaroos and other marsupials actually leave the womb while still in the embryonic stage, crawling into their mother's pouch with no eyes and only partially formed limbs? Talking to this guy happened to make me think of this little fact, and now you have to think of it too.

No. Go away.

I guess this is the entrance to the Safari Zone, given that it's against the north end of the town.

Low encounter rate? Do other Pokemon just randomly evolve into Chanseys if you're unlucky enough? :iiam:

The northern half of the town (everything north of the main drag we took on the way in) is the zoo area. To the south we have the more residential area, including the home of the game warden.

"It's tough to be you!"

"I cough my feet see safari ho! Set me free!"

"The Howie go blue! Eat the safari ho!"

"Buh? Say 'ole' so that you be purple!"

Clearly this old man is posing some kind of riddle. I bet the answer's under this rock.

:same: I simply loooove fishing! I can't bear to go without.

Fishing Guru The Elder lives next door and he just looooves catching Magikarp, boy howdy does he ever, I can't wait for him to talk my ear off about splashing and tackling things for minimal amounts of damage---

:sigh: Sure, I'll humor you.

At least I made a friend. :unsmith:

:same: A crummy OLD ROD could only catch MAGIKARP, yes? But with a GOOD ROD, you can catch much better POKEMON.

I... I take it all back.

Fishing is greatest
People give you free goodies
And then you fight them

Fishbro has his own koi pond out back. Once I'm done exploring the town, we'll be back.

At the very southwestern corner of town, we have the local gym. Apparently Koga is (was) an actual school of ninjutsu, although I mainly remember them from the movie Ninja Scroll, where the Koga ninja immediately got chumped by a bunch of other ninja with literal superpowers. Anyway, no prizes for guessing what this gym's element is.

Right by the gym is a house where somebody's talking about Bill, of all people.

Less "false" than "missing" at this point, I think.

:corsair: He's my grandson! He always liked collecting things, even as a child!

Did he like performing Cronenbergian experiments that would transform him into unholy human-Pokemon hybrids, though? What are the warning signs that your kid's going to grow up to be Seth Brundle?

Next house over is this guy. I'm not sure why you'd need this when you can just overwrite skills whenever you need, but hey.

And finally, there's the Pokemon center (hidden away behind everything else). We're working on a Pokedex, although I'm not sure why any other region would be different from the Safari Zone. I guess we'll find out!

:v: But raising many POKEMON evenly is no easy task, either.

I don't know, Aznable was crushing everything pretty handily.

:j: It goes to the POKEMON LEAGUE HQ. The HQ governs all TRAINERS.

Are there Pokemon laws that I'm not aware of? I don't think we've seen a Pokecop since Cerulean City.

Anyway, that's about it for Fuchsia, aside from the places we deliberately skipped. Time to break in our new rod!

We're going to leave this pond completely devoid of aquatic life in thanks for Fishbro's generosity.

I know I mentioned it before, but I'm not sure why Goldeen was the "useless" Pokemon you could get in the original Smash Bros, given that Magikarp was right there, and was even from the same generation.

Either way, we capture one without any real trouble.

Couldn't think of a decent goldfish name, so I'll leave that to the thread.

Immediately afterward we find one of these. It turns out that Bambi is vulnerable to water, so Flounder (somehow we ended up with a mini-Disney theme, I guess) needs to finish the job.

If my defining feature was my visible sigmoid colon, I don't know what I'd do.

Nothing else in the pond aside from these worthless creatures, at least based on a few minutes' fishing. If there's a low-appearance-rate 'Mon in here, we'll have to come back and try again. And now we're done!

...Except for one other detail that a few people were pretty insistent about between updates. What do you know, I guess we've had fast travel for a little while and I just didn't do anything with it. Let's just see who can---

...Right, let's just change our lineup a bit and then we'll see who can...

...There we go.

COMPACT DISC OSMOSIS ENGAGE

And now we can fly!

At this point there's only three fast-travel destinations that we haven't checked out yet. It's been a little while, but let's head over to Pallet Town.

(Not pictured: me actually flying over, because I do my LPs while drinking)

The place seems unchanged, and Kat's mom is the same as ever.

One quick nap later, we're ready to head back.

I did get a GIF of the way back, at least.

Next time: the gym, I guess? Or we go hunt down Cecil the Lion-Equivalent-Pokemon.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Call the Goldeen "gently caress Yeah" for old meme reference points

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I propose calling a Chansey Cartman if you manage to catch one

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You use the Move Deleter to get rid of those pesky HMs, especially Flash since you only ever need it for Rock Tunnel.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I always liked the Safari game, but apparently it's not super popular. Anyway my vote goes to that. If you catch a slicey green friend please name them Gale

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This update makes me glad that the Old Rod is rotting in the same pit that HMs were dumped in as of Alola.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

If you find a dinosaur with a baby in it's pouch, call it Temujin, for all of us history nerds.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

On the subject of rare safari zone mons I would propose that if you find and meet a bull you simply name it bull.

If you dont find and/or catch one then name your next catch no bull

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

THANK YOU for bringing up the Smash Bros thing. I've always hated that.

The only theory I have is that Goldeen flops on its belly, making its recognizable profile more visible than Magikarp would be (since it flops on its side and would just have been an orange line).

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

Wait a minute, look at that map. There's no way you could go between Celadon and Fuchsia like that, it's straight-up ocean. It even shows the road directly over water. Was the whole thing a bridge? Somehow I never noticed this until now.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

magikid posted:

Wait a minute, look at that map. There's no way you could go between Celadon and Fuchsia like that, it's straight-up ocean. It even shows the road directly over water. Was the whole thing a bridge? Somehow I never noticed this until now.

Holy poo poo.

And it's apparently always been this way and it's not a remake thing?
link to pokemon wiki that obviously has spoilers on it

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Yeah, even the devs noticed eventually. They fixed - or at least, addressed - it in HG/SS. Now it's an ugly bridge instead of a bizare strip of perfectly straight (and perfectly uncharted) land.

Click for (very) big:

I think it looks awful now, but it at least proves they eventually realized their map made no sense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

magikid posted:

It was even in S1 of the anime as a bridge. You didn't notice?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Yeah, you made a wise choice. Safari Zone is the kind of thing that requires an update all to itself.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Maybe the Goldeen thing in Smash Bros was based on the show, where Misty had a Goldeen that just flopped around on land? That's all I can think of.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

You use the Move Deleter to get rid of those pesky HMs, especially Flash since you only ever need it for Rock Tunnel.

In particular, since HMs are your getting-around-the-world moves, losing access to them at the wrong point could soft-lock the game. You don't want to delete your Cut move while you're behind a tree without the HM in your inventory, after all. So you can't overwrite them like normal moves, and if you want them off your mons you have to take them to this guy in a safe place.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Tenebrais posted:

In particular, since HMs are your getting-around-the-world moves, losing access to them at the wrong point could soft-lock the game.

Important to note that, depending on the generation, this is often still very possible. Pretty easy in Gen 1, but by Gen 3 you really have to be trying purposefully to do it. I think by 4 or 5 they;d finally made it properly impossible to get yourself stuck.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

Important to note that, depending on the generation, this is often still very possible. Pretty easy in Gen 1, but by Gen 3 you really have to be trying purposefully to do it. I think by 4 or 5 they;d finally made it properly impossible to get yourself stuck.
It's theoretically possible in 4 (the Finneon-for-German-Magikarp trade on one of the postgame routes) but you pretty much have to actively try to cut off all your options there.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Truthkeeper posted:

Not entirely, there's one spot in DPPt where you can get softlocked.
It's a trade for a Magikarp for your own water type, but the trade location is blocked by Surf. If you, somehow, have no Rare Candies or any Fishing Rods by this point, and the aforementioned Water Type was the only mon in your party, you'd be completely softlocked, since Trades autosave the game, since you have no way to level up the magikarp or black out, and it can't learn Surf until it evolves.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Re: the cycling road, consider that the SS Anne was docked beyond it ;)

Also, I never realized that Saffron City is basically Tokyo...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Re: the cycling road, consider that the SS Anne was docked beyond it ;)

Also, I never realized that Saffron City is basically Tokyo...

The pokemon Kanto region is based on the real life Kanto region which surrounds Tokyo, yes.
Johto is a real region in Japan that borders Kanto, and the other pokemon regions are of course also based on real life places, the later gens going to places outside of Japan of course.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The pokemon Kanto region is based on the real life Kanto region which surrounds Tokyo, yes.
Johto is a real region in Japan that borders Kanto, and the other pokemon regions are of course also based on real life places, the later gens going to places outside of Japan of course.

I thought Johto was based off of the real life Kansai region?

edit: or maybe I just misinterpreted what you were saying.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I thought Johto was based off of the real life Kansai region?

edit: or maybe I just misinterpreted what you were saying.

yeah, both right

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Johto probably didn't use the same name like Kanto did because they made the decision to eliminate direct references to the real world going forward. Hence also not seeing more references to 'America'. Just conjecture, might not have the facts right.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
I used to live in Fuchsia (it's Tateyama). Always appreciated that of all the boring-rear end rural towns in Chiba, that's the one that made it into Pokemon. If they really wanted to represent it accurately, though, it would be full of tall grass with a 100% Beedrill encounter rate.

I live in Vermilion now, incidently.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

magikid posted:

I used to live in Fuchsia (it's Tateyama). Always appreciated that of all the boring-rear end rural towns in Chiba, that's the one that made it into Pokemon. If they really wanted to represent it accurately, though, it would be full of tall grass with a 100% Beedrill encounter rate.

I live in Vermilion now, incidently.

Does it have a zoo?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

New Wave Jose posted:

Does it have a zoo?

Not that I ever knew of, but it definitely fits the rampant wildlife part of the theme. Seriously though gently caress those hornets.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Koga, Grand Hokage of the Ninja Circus

All right! Time to score us another badge!

Aznable's staying on the bench, so we've got our one (1) Pokemon with a level in the thirties, and a mix of 'mons in the twenties. Hopefully we can get a couple levels for Daigoro, Spooky and Flounder have both been doing decently, and we're up against poison types, so a snake and a living rock seem like good picks to use against them. No problem!

The gym leader's standing out in plain sight. Suspicious...

Kaz beat us here. Again.

:awesome: KOGA might appear close, but he's blocked off. You have to find gaps in the walls to reach him.

Sure enough, when Kat tries to walk straight towards Koga, she gets stopped in her tracks.

As I fumble around trying to find a way through, I incur the wrath of this guy. You're on, poison ninja pers---

...Juggler. Right. That's what I expected from the ninja gym.

His Drowzee spends all its time buffing its own attack...

...While Kadabra, despite being a psychic type (?) gets confused right away.

Then he spends the next couple turns alternately LARPing and trying to see the future. I don't know either.

...About what? :psyduck:

This has no relevance to Kat's strategy whatsoever, since her opponents remain stationary and her battles with them are all-or-nothing. So the only reason this guy likes these techniques is because they make the player miserable. I hate this place already. :mad:

:cb: POKEMON is about strategy! I'll show you how strategy can beat brute strength.

I want to say this guy's design reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what.

Thanks to Big Zam's immunity, we pull through the fight without a scratch.

:cb: That's remarkable for a child TRAINER.

*Looks at Big Zam* ...Nah, I'd say it was mostly brawn.

We can finally make our way up along the right, but the wall still keeps us from approaching Koga, giving us no choice but to fight this third guy.

:cb: But I dreamt of becoming a ninja, so I joined this GYM.

YOU'RE NOT EVEN A MAGICIAN, YOU'RE A JUGGLER

I spend a little while trying to get Big Zam's Snore to do something without success.

Foe KADABRA was then KO'd shortly thereafter without doing anything.

:pwn: I don't know what happened here.

Oh, and I guess this is where Haunters come from. I neglected to grab a screencap, but:

If you get the feeling of being watched in darkness when nobody is around, Haunter is there. :tinfoil:

Having no idea what will be good or not, I swap out Lick for Shadow Punch. Being impossible to evade sounds like it might be nice.

:cb: of KOGA, my ninja master.

Keep it up and one day he may stop referring to you as "Juggler."

:whip: Ninja have a long history of using animals!

This guy doesn't really look the part either.

Shadow Punch claims to be "Super Effective" but doesn't actually do much damage, and I'm not entirely sure it's due to the level difference.

Also these guys again. My others are having trouble making any kind of dent, so once again, Zam has to sit on them until they stop moving.

(wolf howl)

From the top-right corner the path leads left again until we get here.

He had another Arbok and Sandslash.

:whip: The famed invisible walls of FUCHSIA GYM have you frustrated? You've impressed me! Here's a hint: look very closely for gaps in the invisible walls!

The funny thing is, as soon as it's pointed out to you, the slightly-different floor patterns are obvious, but when I first entered I just assumed the walls were literally invisible and you just had to feel your way through.

:cb: What did you descend from?

I don't have to take that from you, Juggler Shawn.

Also, something his Hypno did just flat-out destroyed Spook, which was a little surprising after how easily the last one went down.

Flounder's there to get revenge, eventually.

Neither! Goodbye!

Anyway, after that unpleasantness, we're now standing in front of the only entrance to Koga's little room. The last couple of trainers were skippable (if you look closely, you can see an alternate route going to the right above Koga and then up) but never let it be said that Kat left a trainer un-battled.

So, let's see what Koga's got.

:ninja: A mere child like you dares to challenge me? The very idea makes me shiver with mirth! Poison brings steady doom. Sleep renders foes helpless. Despair to the creeping horror of poison-type POKEMON!

So. Here we go.

Oookay, so that's a minimum of a ten-level advantage over most of my team.

We went through a few Koffings when we fought the biker legion, so we know Spook fares all right against them. Shadow punch still isn't doing much good, but Nightshade remains reliable.

Next in line is the Muk, and things take a turn for the worse.

Remembering that Az was torching the Grimers pretty easily, I figure Flounder's Dragon Rage might be able to do some good. The damage isn't great - enough to bring it to zero in four or five hits - but the whole time the greasy guy's spamming Minimize and raising his evasion.

Oh, and Koga just tosses full heals when things start to look dicey for him.

Between the healing and nobody even being able to hit the enemy anymore, before too long it's game over.

Next order of business is to head to the Pokemart and stock up on Revives and Full Heals, neither of which I had in my inventory before now.

Then I try to change up my lineup - emphasis on "try" because I'm not actually sure what I can do differently here. My Geodude got one-shot, so they're going on the bench, but I don't know what else would fare well against poison besides what I've got. I finally put in the Gloom because a giant corpse flower ought to have some poison resistance, but with a 15+ level deficit I don't think it's going to matter. Daigoro's still in there because I just flat-out don't have anybody who's leveled.

Second verse, same-ish as the first. I try to have Flounder go for the kill on the Muk before it can drop its Evasion too far, but sure enough, Koga heals it up again and Flounder runs out of health. Because I didn't read the fine print and failed to notice that Full Heal heals status effects, not health. I may be some kind of idiot.

The sheer weight of our bodies manages to drag the Muk down in the end anyway, possibly helped by him not using Minimize as often this time around. Third in line is another Koffing, which should be an easy--- hey, did you know Koffing has a kamikaze attack? I sure didn't!

So after I wipe again, I go back to the Pokemart and actually buy some Super Potions this time. I have to revive Big Zam twice, get blown up by the Koffing again, do almost double each Pokemon's health pool in damage thanks to Koga healing them, but finally drag myself to the finish. Barely.

:ninja: Here! Take the SOULBADGE!

Each loss cost me about 1500 P-Bills, so when you factor in all the money I spent on supplies, we came out in the red. :shepspends:

:ninja: It also lets you SURF outside of battle. Ah! Take this, too!

:ninja: It is a secret technique dating back some 400 years.

:ninja: It suffers worsening damage as the battle wears on! It will surely terrorize foes!

The Hyper Potions were the most terrifying part.

I can't wait for Kaz to brag about how easy this gym was for him. :argh:

Five badges down, three to go. Will we do the safari zone next? Will we just do a training montage? Will I do an update before the final week of the month? We shall see!

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

You are definitely very underleveled for this point in the game. It's not impossible to overcome, as you proved, but it would help if you knew type weaknesses/strengths. For example, poison types are weak to ground attacks (I don't know why) like Dig.

Also Night Shade is an attack that does completely flat damage, equal to the level of the Pokemon using it. Since it doesn't factor defense of the enemy or the user's attack into the calculation at all, that's probably why it was dealing more damage than Shadow Punch. Dragon Rage also does a flat 40hp, no attack or defense calculations involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Lick is awful and replacing it with Shadow Punch was a good move.