Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you run across a cutey-patootey pink Pokémon that can sing, name her Frau Bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The very first time I played pokemon, which was Gen 1 Red, I had no idea what I was doing. Hell, I couldn't understand a lot of what was going on because I barely knew English and games don't get localized into my language.

Anyway, I *only* ever used my starter. All other pokemon in my party were HM slaves stuck at level 5.

I didn't get into any trouble whatsoever until the very end of the game.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Gen 1 Red/Blue generally has a good steady difficulty curve that suddenly skyrockets towards the end.

I was actually 14 years old when I played Blue (at the original release date), and I had years of RPG experience under my belt, and actually read Nintendo Power's previews of Pokemon months before it came out.

Safe to say, I was probably one of the relatively few people (in the US at least) who knew exactly what to expect out of the game and generally what to do when I first played it.
The endgame still totally kicked my rear end.
Though I did finally beat it with some extra grinding (pretty much the only RPG strategy I could rely on back then).

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I really wish level didn't make so much of a difference. That's pretty much the only reason the endgame is so hard.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If you run across a cute snake, name it Noodle. Also use it for a bit, snek doesn't get enough love.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Are the Nidoran still in the same spot as they were in yellow? (near the league entrance) If so, you should try to get one. I find them useful (either male of female).

Also you missed a pokemon in the forest: Pikachu

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
You Make Me Brock Hard

Before we get started...

Dragonatrix posted:

I think this is referring to a hidden item on the tile directly in front of him here, but I could be misremembering.

Time for some pixel hunting, I guess!

While I'm searching I get jumped by this cheery little guy, who I beat up and stuff into a ball.

Dr Pepper posted:

You should catch a Pikachu and name it Amuro

Your wish is my command!

After some more searching (and squashing a couple more bugs), I finally stumble across the lost item. The Pikachu was a better payoff for the search than the potion was.

Anyway, back to Pewter City, which... doesn't seem interested in advertising itself to tourists. Some dude near the entrance gripes about all the wannabe trainers in the area. Jerk.

In the PokeCenter, this girl tries to get Kat to share her profile. Too bad she doesn't have one. Let's fix that!

Your profile consists of four words or short phrases, pieced together to say something...

...Like this! :wink:

Or that. Apparently this was something you shared with other players? Except it was before Nintendo realized they needed to warn people not to use obscene names.

I tried to make it say DON'T GIVE UP SKELETON, but the word choices just wouldn't play along.

Yes. Yes it does. And the girl doesn't let you change it again afterward. For now I'll reload and leave it as the default.

Talking to the googly-eyed puffball next to this guy causes it to sing, which indeed incapacitates you for several seconds.

We can also eavesdrop on this guy. I'm not sure what he's on about, but it must be serious. Team Rocket at Mt. Moon? What a scoop!

By the road out of town to the east you have this signpost. I guess Mt. Moon is going to be important in the near future.

Trying to leave town gets this guy's attention...

...And he drags you back across town. I'm not interested in talking to Brock just yet, though.

More moon stuff. I'm sensing a pattern here.

The only other notable guy outside is this one...

Who drags you over to the swanky building at the north edge of town. The people here are even pushier than the ones back home. Yeesh.

It costs 50 of our hard-earned P-Bills to get into the museum. Downstairs are a couple of fossilized Pokemon exhibits...

While upstairs you have the space exhibit.

And a rock.

Oh wait, I remember how this one goes! We have to travel back to prehistoric times and leave it in a cave with the sun shining on it, and then when we return to the present it's powered up into the Sun Stone and gives us strong equipment. It's all coming back to me now.

I bet there are a bunch of fan theories about how the Pokemon world relates to the real world and its history. I'm not sure if I want to read them, though.

So, since we're barred from leaving town until we've gone to the gym and faced Brock, it's time to take stock of our team. Aznable has leveled up just from beating on trainers, and our Spearow has put on a lot of weight after gorging on bugs, but everybody else is falling behind. Given that the Viridian bug collectors topped out at level 10, some training is probably in order.

With all the trainers beaten, the strongest foes that we find are level 5, so training is slow work. I feel like I shouldn't be grinding too much, but I want to see what Mothra here turns into.

And now we're going to find out.

Oooh! :neckbeard: Let's test it out!

oh god it's one of those bugs from perdido street station, what have i done :gonk:

The Weedle's leveling is much slower going, since his only attack is Poison Sting.

In fact, by the time I finally get him high enough ( :420: ) to become a Kakuna, I've had enough. I'll swap him into a couple trainer battles later and see if I can get him some more experience then.

Meanwhile, Amuro struggles against the bugs, but fries Pidgeys in seconds.

Once Glemy and Berserk are level 8, I figure we can give the gym a try. Even if we lose, we'll try to lose in a funny way.

This guy lurking inside the entrance has got "scammer" written all over him. First they give you advice, next they're demanding a cut of your winnings.

And he doesn't take no for an answer. His advice is pretty pedestrian in any case.

According to the Bowser statues, Kaz is one step ahead of us. Time to challenge Brock and catch up to our riv---

Huh?

That doesn't even make sense, light years refers to---

:doh:

At least his Pokemon is cute. :3:

But we can't really set it on fire effectively. Scratch does even less damage than Ember. On the other hand, while Ember is weak, it still does enough damage that swapping in another 'Mon would probably take longer than slugging it out (especially since I don't know what the Geodude's weakness is).

So we slug it out and Az comes out on top, helped along by the Geodude trying to buff itself for a few turns instead of attacking.

Since the next one is Sandshrew, and the Spearow seems to do well against rodents and other small creatures, we'll try swapping.

It doesn't pay off, so let's try dazzling the shrew into submission with Mothra instead.

Mothra doesn't do much better, and eats a critical hit almost immediately. We're still able to bring him down in a couple more attacks.

That's what I was trying to tell you! :argh:

...I don't know if I should be flattered or offended. Thankfully, Brock is patient and lets us go rest up before we challenge him.

Hi! :)

I can't stop smirking, it's like I'm in middle school again.

Wait, so it's honor that compels trainers to keep jumping me when I'm just trying to get through the forest? Honor kinda stinks.

Boss fight!

Since we're up against another Geodude, I try a couple other Pokemon this time around. Amuro starts out by accomplishing... nothing. Turns out it's even harder to electrocute a rock than to set it on fire. Who knew?

Except somehow static electricity still works? :psyduck:

But you know what definitely works against rocks? Kicking them in their rock-hard balls. Which we do, repeatedly.

Speaking of rock-hard balls, here's Brock's second Pokemon.

We end up burning a couple potions, but since I finally found the Rock-type weakness, I want to keep Berserk on her feet as long as possible. Just like my fights with Kaz, I end this one with only a sliver of health remaining. :ohdear:

Having beaten someone nearly twice her level, Berserk gets boosted all the way up to level 10. :toot:

"I never considered that you would go for the balls."

And he gives us the badge we needed! :toot:

I'll spare you an update of me running back to the Pokemon League, only to be told that now we need a different badge. We all know that's what'll happen.

Um... sure.

:signings:

And he gives us a TM, which teaches us Rock Tomb, which can be taught to exactly one Pokemon and then never used again. I'd better hang onto this for the entire game instead of using it, just in case I use it on the wrong one.

Sure thing, pal.

You're still not coming with me.

The guy who dragged us to the gym is now gone, leaving the road clear to our destiny. But that'll be next time. After I figure out who to waste use the TM on.

Also, if anybody's familiar with the profile system: Suggest a profile phrase. If you don't know/have access to the list of words yourself, I'll try to come up with an approximation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Does the game not tell you type strengths/weaknesses anywhere? Is trial and error actually the intended method?

Serious question I don't play pokemon games either.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It took them up to the fifth Generation of Pokemon (if you're losing count, these remakes are in the third generation) to realize that TMs being one-use is stupid in a game with at that point over 500 potential candidates for using them on, so they finally made them infinite-use.

For this game, you're stuck with a single use, so yeah, the decision is a hard one. These factors might help you:
- despite this being a Rock move used by a Rock trainer, it's probably not a good idea to teach it to a Rock Pokemon, because those will usually learn better Rock moves on their own (Rock Tomb's power is nothing special).
- the exception are some mixed Rock types that simply do not learn Rock moves on their own because Game Design. There's no way for you to know that, but otoh I think that's nothing you'll have to worry about; I'm thinking of a specific third-Gen Pokemon right now which is programmed into this game (as it's part of the third Gen), but you can't catch it until waaaay late (or never, dunno).
- up until the fourth Generation, types are either physical or special, no exceptions. Fighting for example is obviously physical, so all Fighting moves scale with Attack and hit the Defense stat. Electric is special, so it scales with Special Attack and hits the Special Defense stat. You figure out what Rock is ;). It's not a good idea to give Rock moves to a special-oriented mon.
- mixing attack types is almost always a good idea to give your fighters more options; for example, Pikachu only having an electric move makes it 100% useless against this gym, it would have been better if it at least had a Normal move as well (not a LOT better, but hey). This is another argument against giving Rock Tomb to a Rock-type; give it to e.g. a Fighting mon instead, because they'll not learn Rock moves on their own, but can use them well (guess I just spoiled that Rock is physical but come on). The "use well" thing is also related to the weakness and resistance chart; I won't spoil details if you don't want me to.

Overall, Rock Tomb is a 60 power attack with imperfect accuracy that has utility in lowering the opponent's speed. It's not bad, but if you "waste" it it's also not the end of the world. It's common and recommended to wait until you're relatively sure that you have a final-ish team and then start putting TMs onto them to iron out flaws and supplement strengths, though, so maybe do actually hold onto it.

Sindai posted:

Does the game not tell you type strengths/weaknesses anywhere? Is trial and error actually the intended method?

The games usually tell you for the starting trio of rock-paper-scissors fire-grass-water, then "there's far more, find 'em out!!!". Often, the pushy dude at the gym entrance also tells you what the gym leader's chosen type is weak to and strong against. But that's it!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In Gen 7 they started showing you the effectiveness of moves if you'd already seen what type the enemy is. Might have also been in Gen 6, I didn't play that one.

But until then you needed trial and error, a bit of common sense, or a guide. And common sense won't be that reliable...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pretty sure they used to tell you the full chart... in the instruction manual. :v:

Don't know if/when that changed, though.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Sindai posted:

I think trial and error might actually be somewhat intended, but they do give the information in places. It's often been in manuals (though it wasn't always correct!). And there is actually a way to see the type chart ingame in this one, though the format isn't great - if you press L or R to bring up the help menu while in a battle, it should be one of the options.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Everyone's weak to a boot to the pebbles.

Everyone.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Or that. Apparently this was something you shared with other players? Except it was before Nintendo realized they needed to warn people not to use obscene names.

I tried to make it say DON'T GIVE UP SKELETON, but the word choices just wouldn't play along.
Sadness Above, Therefore Bravery.

quote:

oh god it's one of those bugs from perdido street station, what have i done :gonk:
Nonsense. Those were moths; this is clearly a butterfly.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Simply Simon posted:

Overall, Rock Tomb is a 60 power attack with imperfect accuracy that has utility in lowering the opponent's speed. It's not bad, but if you "waste" it it's also not the end of the world. It's common and recommended to wait until you're relatively sure that you have a final-ish team and then start putting TMs onto them to iron out flaws and supplement strengths, though, so maybe do actually hold onto it.

Rock Tombs Power/Accuracy before Gen 5 was 50/80.
Use it on whatever can learn it, it will be obsolete soon enough anyway.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

If you're planning to stick with Berserk, she's actually a pretty good candidate for Rock Tomb. Mankey's type coverage in the game is a bit lacking, and Rock Tomb really helps out against anything that resists being kicked in the junk (Bugs and Flying-types).

Also good job on beating Brock, he's usually the first stumbling block to those who picked Charmander and didn't bring backup like a Mankey. In Gen 1 Mankey wasn't available until after Brock, which made for a rather miserable first Gym experience.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saladin Rising posted:

Also good job on beating Brock, he's usually the first stumbling block to those who picked Charmander and didn't bring backup like a Mankey. In Gen 1 Mankey wasn't available until after Brock, which made for a rather miserable first Gym experience.
Not quite true; Mankey was added to the grass near Route 23 or whatever the number is in Yellow, probably to give you something to fight Brock with aside from a yellow rat nearly completely incapable of harming his Pokemon.

Also, Butterfree is a fairly good, if somewhat fragile, sweeper for Brock's gym. It's fast and has Confusion, a Psychic-type move. While not weak to Psychic attacks, Brock's Rock Pokemon have miniscule Special (Defense), so any Special attack they don't actively resist shreds them. Hell, Charmander can make a decent showing against them due to Ember and Fire attacks being Special, despite their resistance. You don't even need to worry that much about being weak to Rock, because Rock Tomb is the only Rock-type attack used in the entire Gym, and only one of Brock's Geodudes has it, IIRC.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair, FR/LG also added Metal Claw onto Charmander's early movepool, so even Charmander can hit them for SE damage with a tiny bit of extra grinding. It's not necessary due to the presence of Mankey, or just slowly doing tolerable damage with a Special attack due to the really low Special Defense on Brock's pokemon, but it is yet another solution.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lord Koth posted:

To be fair, FR/LG also added Metal Claw onto Charmander's early movepool, so even Charmander can hit them for SE damage with a tiny bit of extra grinding. It's not necessary due to the presence of Mankey, or just slowly doing tolerable damage with a Special attack due to the really low Special Defense on Brock's pokemon, but it is yet another solution.
Honestly, due to Rock-types' Defense stat, I usually found Ember dealing as much or more damage than Metal Claw, despite the former being resisted and the latter being super effective. Probably due to their paper-thin Special Defense and Ember getting STAB on Charmander while Metal Claw doesn't. Maybe if you got really lucky with the Attack boosts from Metal Claw or had the right Nature and hidden stats to boost Attack a bunch, but if you're dead-set on having your fire lizard beat a bunch of rocks, I think a Smokescreen/Ember strategy is the better way to go.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

Saladin Rising posted:

If you're planning to stick with Berserk, she's actually a pretty good candidate for Rock Tomb. Mankey's type coverage in the game is a bit lacking, and Rock Tomb really helps out against anything that resists being kicked in the junk (Bugs and Flying-types).

I always do stuff like this, because it sounds like a good idea to cover your weaknesses, but is there really a point to it? In multiplayer sure, because anything can happen there, but in single-player it straight-up tells you what you're up against next, and if it's a bird you're just going to switch out your fighting type anyway. Unless you switch that off, I guess.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

magikid posted:

I always do stuff like this, because it sounds like a good idea to cover your weaknesses, but is there really a point to it? In multiplayer sure, because anything can happen there, but in single-player it straight-up tells you what you're up against next, and if it's a bird you're just going to switch out your fighting type anyway. Unless you switch that off, I guess.
Bugs and Fighters can't do poo poo to each other, but if the Fighter has a Rock move the Bug dies horribly.

I was being deliberately coy about strengths and weaknesses, but we're talking really openly about them now. Does the OP actually want all that info? Feels easier to just post a type chart then and reference that. I didn't even want to post things like the Metal Claw info because that'd ruin the surprise in a few levels, no?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

In this gen there's a handy type chart available in game if you press the shoulder buttons while in battle

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Simply Simon posted:

Bugs and Fighters can't do poo poo to each other, but if the Fighter has a Rock move the Bug dies horribly.

I was being deliberately coy about strengths and weaknesses, but we're talking really openly about them now. Does the OP actually want all that info? Feels easier to just post a type chart then and reference that. I didn't even want to post things like the Metal Claw info because that'd ruin the surprise in a few levels, no?

My entire takeaway from the conversation has been "hey, you should use the TM on something and it'll help, unless it doesn't in which case maybe you shouldn't" so I wouldn't worry too much. I already put in the OP that there's basically no restriction on spoilers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Seyser Koze posted:

My entire takeaway from the conversation has been "hey, you should use the TM on something and it'll help, unless it doesn't in which case maybe you shouldn't" so I wouldn't worry too much.

TMs can be useful but they're not strictly needed.

Saving them until you encounter something that gives you real trouble and then teaching one of your Pokémon a move to counter it is sometimes useful.

Please use Kakuna more.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
You're gonna want to stock up on Items here.
pewter city's item shop is the closest one for the next while and trudging back would be annoying,
get some potions, pokeballs, maybe a repel or two.

But save 500P in cash for a nice deal soon.

Repels effectiveness depends on your first mon's level so if you want to avoid things, place your strongest level mon first.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
This blind LP is getting pretty sighted.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Hey man I'm really looking forward to seeing you play this for the first time without any idea what to expect.

Anyway go into the Catacombs early and get the Gravelord Sword then take the Valley of Drakes shortcut to skip Blighttown and get an easy 40000 souls and while you're there you can get to Ash Lake behind two secret walls on the far side by the way if you go back to the asylum with the crow you can get a Titanite Slab which might help against Ornstein and Smough but only if you kill Ingward for the Very Large Ember and then

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yeah, I'd appreciate it if we could tone down the spoilers a bit. Like I know OP said that it was okay but if you keep telling him what to do and what to expect it kinda ruins the whole point of this exercise, doesn't it?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 8, 2018

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Let's Never Mention This Route Again

The game's "last time, on Pokemon Fire Red" recap can be pretty interesting. I don't know if the "preparations had to be made" message just happens if you exit the gym before beating Brock, or if it only comes up after you've beaten his underling.

Looking at the map, Cerulean city is a ways off, with two routes and an ominous-looking gray dot in the middle.

I skipped the PokeMart before, but I need to stock up on balls before the next leg of the journey, along with a couple antidotes. While I'm there I meet this kid, who complains about a run-in with a con man. Sucks to be him, huh?

The guy who hauled us off to fight Brock may be gone, but now one of Professor Oak's gofers is lying in wait at the town exit with a delivery.

Aww. :3:

I can run now, although the frameskip option in VBA achieves the same effect. Timed events seem contrary to the spirit of Pokemon, but if one comes up I'll be ready!

On to Route 3, which looks to be full of trainers. If I keep my distance I should be fi---

What? I was twenty feet away and facing a different direction, how could I possibly be

:doh:

Amuro zaps her two Pidgeys into submission, and then she tries to pretend that it was my fault. :sigh:

Around this point I remember the TM that Brock gave me. I'm not sure who to use it on, but I think this is the first Rock move that any of my team will have, so I should probably use it on someone.

Welp. Guess the game made that decision for me.

Apparently the move data is stored on a CD, and pressing it against a Pokemon's head causes them to learn it by osmosis? I don't know.

(no he didn't, this guy is Conrad and the others all had other names)

I swap my ex-Weedle into the starting position to so that it can get experience from fights, but it still opens my dudes up to getting poisoned as I rotate them in.

(no I didn't, I beat you once)

:psyduck:

This weirdo has an Ekans, which I haven't seen yet. Looks like he debuffs his enemies just by existing.

I test out the new Rock Tomb, but it doesn't do too much damage.

Then Berserk immediately gets wrapped up and I can't switch her out, and it turns out that the snake is immune to crotch-kicks. Rock Tomb ends up saving me by lowering its speed enough that Berserk gets the first move.

Yeah, if I'd started a conversation by praising my own shorts I'd try to pretend I hadn't said it too.

The next bug catcher has the most Pokemon we've seen on a single trainer thus far, although none of it's new.

...Buh? I was just trying to walk past this guy.

what the hell is that thing

it's like an angry hamster with facial tentacles

and it's immune to crotch kicks

I... I don't understand the people here.

Ex-Weedle hits level 10 and evolves. Why does it need a stinger if it has those giant gently caress-off drills on its legs?

I could also avoid battles by you not being weird. Anyway, I need to head back and heal up at the PokeCenter.

:catstare:

For that, you get all the fury my Beedrill can muster.

On second thought, maybe not against a level-14 Spearow.

Die! Die! Die!

I don't care!

I'll beat them with this Pokemon I just grew!

Hmm. Yes, that'll do.

Wha... buh? :psyduck: Nobody in this place makes any sense!

NO GOD drat IT I JUST WANT TO GET TO CERULEAN CITY

YOU WEREN'T EVEN FACING THAT DIRECTION A SECOND AGO, HOW CAN IT BE MY FAULT

She only has one Pokemon, which generally seems to indicate that what a trainer has is strong or unusual.

That qualifies, I think.

:argh:

The crotch kick comes through at last.

Berserk learns a new move, so I swap out Leer for Karate Chop.

...I hate this route and everyone on it.

Half the people here have either been creeping on me or accusing me of creeping on them (while creeping on me).

I'm going to go sit in the grass for a bit and fight some things that don't talk.

Like you, male rhino bunny thing.

Why are you still asleep! :argh:

Az takes it down handily, although not without getting poisoned.

One more for the Pokedex. I look around for a bit to see if I can catch a Nidovenus to go along with it, but no luck.

I do meet one of these, though.

Amuro jolts it into unconsciousness.

And then it smothers them to death.

Edward Mass posted:

If you run across a cutey-patootey pink Pokémon that can sing, name her Frau Bow.

Could Fraw sing? I don't remember.

Amuro learns a new trick as well, replacing Growl.

Our trip to Gym #2 is just getting started, it seems.

Route 4 begins, and brings with it a change of scenery.

This guy really seems like we should've met him in Pewter City, not here.

Geodudes ahead, got it.

The game is kind enough to give us a Pokemon Center right here to heal up (although if you got this far you could run back to Pewter City without needing to fight anything).

Looks like Cerulean City has some troubles.

Then there's this guy in the corner.

Oh boy!

I fork over 500 P-Bills immediately, after which he changes his tune to this. I think I'd better test my new acquisition out.

Have... have I made a mistake?

i

i think i may have made a mistake

i have made a mistake

a horrible mistake

Today was a bad day.

Tomorrow we go to Mount Moon.

I hope there aren't any bats. I hate bats.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 9, 2018

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
yes I know what magikarps are for, I was joking

Also, still taking suggestions for a profile phrase. I'm assuming it gets harder to backtrack after Mount Moon, so I'll go back and pick one at the beginning of the next update.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 9, 2018

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Shorts Boy is a running joke in the series. There's almost always at least one Youngster who talks about how shorts are comfy and easy to wear. Similarly, there's always a guy in the starting town who talks about how technology is amazing.

Seyser Koze posted:

I hope there aren't any bats. I hate bats.

You'll hate Mt. Moon, then. Hope you brought Repels!

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Background info time: Red and Blue didn't have a gender select for the protagonist, and they didn't really update the dialogue for Fire Red/Leaf Green. As as a result, some of the dialogue reads a bit differently when your protagonist changes from the assumed "10 year boy" to "10 year old girl":

Also everyone is dressed incorrectly: you wear long pants in tall grass if you don't want your legs to itch like hell.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I believe the "explanation" for how your mons learn TMs in FireRed/LeafGreen is that you play the CDs with the Teachy TV. On the other hand this implies your mons are pretty much fully sapient and can comprehend human language, which makes you ordering them around a little...skeevy, to say the least.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Despite what the pokedex say, no Pokemon is truly useless. Do not give up on your fishy friend quite yet|

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

paradoxGentleman posted:

Despite what the pokedex say, no Pokemon is truly useless. Do not give up on your fishy friend quite yet|

Seyser Koze posted:

yes I know what magikarps are for, I was joking

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Haha, whoops.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
The japanese name of their trainer class is literally "Shorts Youngster" so it's essentially the foundation of their identity.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's kind of like how apparently bug-catching is a popular summer hobby amongst young boys in Japan, so all the aspiring Poke-entomologists are young boys.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Seyser Koze posted:

Could Fraw sing? I don't remember.

I chose that because Jigglypuff can wear a bow in Super Smash Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Pikachu can fight Captain Falcon in Super Smash Bros. Please rename Pikachu "Blood Falcon."