Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Some argue that Magikarp is the most successful pokemon there is. It kind of has to be, when you can find it in abundance in almost any body of water on the planet (except in Unova).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

magikid posted:

Please rename Pikachu "Blood Falcon."

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

People have already said it, but this blind LP is weirdly compelling. Just having a blind lp of the (remade) original game after all the years its been out is novel.

Also if you find a shrewd looking guy that might be at home in a desert doing guerrilla warfare, call it Ramba Ral.

Fake edit: nevermind, that's a Green exclusive. poo poo. Gimme a bit to think up of a different reference.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
There's a little mushroom-adjacent pal coming up. It's very cute and you should name it Ben or Barbra depending on gender for no real reason whatsoever!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There are some extremely annoying bats up ahead. How about you name one Kou, after horribly annoying Gundam Stardust Memory protagonist Kou Uraki?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

There are some extremely annoying bats up ahead. How about you name one Kou, after horribly annoying Gundam Stardust Memory protagonist Kou Uraki?

I actually have a very special fate in store for the 'Mon who abruptly ended my Pokemon career 20 years ago.

Which is to say that I'll definitely catch a second one just to name it Kou, because they deserve it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you catch a Geodude, name it The Rock.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
There's another pink "cute" thing in the tunnels, mind naming it RNG if you happen to find one? (don't go for it if it would mean delaying an update)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you happen to find some fossils, be sure to get a spiral one.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Armchair Gaming: The Thread

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

poo poo everyone's mentioned all the Pokemon coming up. Uh... Gen 1 didn't have Repels in the Pewter Mart, so Mt. Moon was awful as you had to just encounter stuff over and over and over and

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

magikid posted:

Armchair Naming: The Thread

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm loving this!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Please call the next pokemon you catch SHUTUPTHREAD

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Please call the next pokemon you catch SHUTUPTHREAD

haha, 12 character names weren't allowed until X and Y an- oh...

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
6. Goddamned Bats

Last time Kat traveled through a route full of creeps and weirdos and paid through the nose for a worthless fish. Today, she braves... the mountain.

But first, we run back to Pewter City and select a profile. And by "select" I mean we use the only suggestion we received.

Drakyn posted:

Sadness Above, Therefore Bravery.

It took a little wrestling with the options the game gives you, and I couldn't find a "Bravery" or "Courage" synonym, so this will have to do.

You do you, strange profile girl. Dashing back along Route 3 to our next challenge...

It looks so unassuming from the outside.

But inside, it's all branching paths and wide-open spaces.

And bad memories. Bad, bad memories.

And bored trainers with a lust for blood. At least this lass doesn't accuse us of trying to harass her.

This pink fuzz creature is attempting an Elvis hairdo or something, but instead of singing at us it smashes Berserk in the face a couple times before getting crotch-kicked and karate-chopped into oblivion.

People here seem almost reasonable. Aside from the whole attacking-without-provocation thing, of course.

Heading left from the entrance we find another TM that teaches Bullet Seed. None of our guys can use it, so it gets filed away and forgotten.

A couple steps later I get jumped by my first cave-dwelling Pokemon. Apparently they've adapted to the lack of grass by just mugging people out in the open. Wild Geodudes are a fair bit weaker than the ones from Brock's gym, so we make pretty short work of them.

And we stuff one in a ball.

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you catch a Geodude, name it The Rock.

:raise:

Our new buddy Dwayne gets sent to Someone's PC for the time being, and a few steps later we meet...

...Oh. Oh dear. The memories.

I mentioned in the OP that I did play Pokemon briefly, a very long time ago. That playthrough lasted right up until around where I met these guys. I picked Bulbasaur as my starter, which from what I could tell was the easy mode of the game, being largely immune to the Viridian Forest bugs and being able to one-shot all of the rock-types in Brock's gym.

Then I got here. And I met these fuckers. And suddenly my Bulbasaur's attacks didn't work on stuff. And it was weak to something.

And then, having relied on my Bulbasaur to carry me through everything to that point, I quit. And I didn't touch the game again until last month.

But now is the time for change. Now is the time for vengeance.

Now is the time for AMURO.

I amuse myself by blasting bats out of the air for a bit, but in the end this isn't enough to satisfy me.

The Zubat must be humiliated.

Your shame will be eternal.

Ah, that felt better. As an encore I start opening fights with Flounder. This fish will make itself useful if it kills me.

The area left of the entrance dead-ends at a this bug catcher. Not to worry, kiddo, there's zero chance of Kat being a suspicious man.

He just has Viridian Forest bugs, nothing special here (except for Az getting a new attack).

Oh right, those guys.

Heading back to the entrance and east, this guy rushes across the cave to attack Kat and then accuses her of sneaking up on him.

It's magnetized. And if our Pokemon were metal, that would mean something.

At first I think maybe I can zap it into submission, but I end up falling back on our old standby.

Next in line is an angry Pokeball, apparently. It starts charging up to do something, but I played Smash Brothers back in the day, so I put it down before it can explode (or whatever it's plotting).

Where did he find those things, anyway?

Candy! :neckbeard: The game says this gives one of your minions a free level. I don't see any great need for it right now (except to save some time on leveling Flounder) so into the bag it goes.

Up the way is a bug catcher who's pretty chill about losing.

This is referring to the Zubats. I feel like it should be a Sesame Street joke for some reason.

Rope ladder. I skip it for now.

Up in the corner is this guy, who looks like the sort of person they warn little girls to stay away from. Instead he seems pretty nice. He's not even a trainer.

Heading left from there (so we've gone right from the entrance, up the east wall of the cave, and now across the top), this girl suddenly comes barreling into us out of nowhere. She just charges in from offscreen at top speed.

New faces!

But you hardly need to ask what plants are weak against.

Legitimate concern. As soon as I step out of the way she resumes tearing around the room at top speed.

Rope ladder #2.

No, I came here to get away from kids in shorts.

His Ratatta actually chews Aznable up pretty good before he gets taken down. In fact, the entire place has taken a bit of a toll, so I need to run back to the Pokecenter to heal up after this.

...There's just no escape, is there?

Then, in the furthest depths of the cave, I meet another new trainer type. In his defense I actually did come up and talk to him from behind this time.

This guy has a couple Geodudes and this Onix. Berserk nutcracks her way to victory.

Um... well, that's fair, I guess.

Rope ladder #3 seems to mark the end of this level of the cave...

And we find a Moon Stone. We'll check this out when we're not in a cave.

At this point I backtrack aaaaalll the way back to that first ladder, which brings us to a short tunnel leading to yet another ladder. I have a feeling I'm taking the least efficient way through this cave possible, but oh well.

The tunnels seem to be full of these little guys, which don't seem to do much except stun you but are absolutely adorable.

Bible Ian Black posted:

There's a little mushroom-adjacent pal coming up. It's very cute and you should name it Ben or Barbra depending on gender for no real reason whatsoever!

I don't get it, but sure!

Down the ladder...

We finally meet the dreaded Team Rocket. That introduction is... less intimidating than they probably meant it to sound.

He had a Sandshrew, but otherwise was pretty boring. But apparently there's more of him where he came from.

This tunnel was basically just a treasure room, so I should've just gone down the ladder in the first place.

You'll buy it at a high price, you say? :raise:

On my way to the second ladder I blunder into a Clefairy. While I'm trying to catch it, it uses an ability that forces me to keep attacking and I pummel it to death by accident. (An unorthodox survival mechanism, to be sure.) I'll have to come back and hunt for another one.

The second ladder leads to another Rocket man, who has an Ekans but still goes down easily.

Apparently these punks are looking for fossils? Come to think of it, we've been all over this cave and haven't found a single one yet.

What we DO find is another TM. Being able to steal stuff sounds like it should come in handy, so I'll need to pick a recipient for this in a bit.

Up and over to Ladder 3, and we're told "buzz off, kid" yet again.

I don't even remember what this guy had. It's mostly Ratattas and Zubats on these guys, honestly.

However, beating him does give Aznable enough experience to evolve into Charmaznebleon! :toot: No new abilities, but the lizard-mohawk's pretty good.

...The presence of fossils would imply that, yes.

The third ladder tunnel is a lot longer than the others, taking us around on a long winding path towards what I hope is the exit. I think the guy in the lower-right of this image (barely visible) is the first Rocket goon I met.

I was all keen to show off Aznable's shiny new form, and this guy's Ratatta tore him apart instead. Their Quick Attacks get the jump on anything we do. Well played, Cartoon Gangster.

Even Amuro is nearly destroyed after Aznable's defeat, which I suppose is appropriate.

:cawg: He's gonna tell everybody on Pokemon Facebook to unfriend Kat. It'll be awful.

Anyway, at that point I have to drag my carcass all the way back to the exit again and heal up. It might seem like I've had a pretty easy time here, but Pikachu handles the Zubats just fine and Berserk can deal with Geodudes, which is most of the non-trainer enemies in here.

Just beyond that fourth Rocketeer is... another nerd. I didn't say a thing about your fossils, pal, but I have the sudden urge to just give you an atomic wedgie and call the matter solved.

He has more new stuff! Aznable incinerates the Grimer almost immediately (I guess it's covered in oil or something?) but the Koffing gives us him more trouble and he ends up having to tag out.

The fight wraps up with another boom ball.

That's more like it.

And now we're left with a choice of one of the two fossils, Dome or Helix, with no indication of what either one entails.

I was going to flip a coin, but leaving this up to a :siren: THREAD VOTE :siren: seems more appropriate. Domes or Spirals? Also recommend a name.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Wow, you just attacked some gangsters trying to work as archaeologists for the Pewter Museum, how could you? :v:

Ehh, I don't really care about the fossils, so I'm gonna flip a coin and vote... Helix

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Dome! Names I am not good at so leaving that to everyone else.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Helix is better. Go with that one.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Helix, of course.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pick the Dome Fossil and name the Pokemon Hatsworth.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
It's funny you should mention Magnemite and being made of metal meaning something, because that actually is a game mechanic. Magnemites, half the time, will have an ability called Magnet Pull that stops you switching your Pokemon or running away if it's a Steel-type. Then again, this is FireRed, where the only Steel-type you'll run into until the postgame is Magnemite itself (and its evolution).

Anyway, I vote for Dome, because the Helix Fossil meme has been done to death.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, you have put a stop to Team Rocket's most dastardly criminal enterprise yet: Fossil hunting in a cave!

Truly the world shall tremble at their very name.

Get the dome, it was always my favourite.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Praise be Dome!

Going in and out and up and down Mt. Moon is pretty crazy, especially since it seemed like you didn't have any Repels? That... definitely is the blind experience. Keep it up, since things will get more blind for you in the future, but make sure to explore everywhere, it can be a lot of fun.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Dome.
I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Team Rocket are not the most effective criminal outfit in the world.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Dome's final outcome is my favorite Pokemon from Gen I, and obviously that means it's my fav forever.

Something that was hinted at or behind spoilers (or not?) so far: Aznable has learned Metal Claw, which is Steel-type, and it didn't use to learn that in the original games, because Steel-type didn't exist back then. They also very specifically gave it to Charmander because as you mentioned, Bulbasaur was "easy mode" because it's great against Rock, and so is Water (Squirtle), while Fire is...not. Steel, however, for some reason, beats Rock, and this way you can get an edge on Brock if you only ever use Charmander.

Speaking of attacks, you can switch their order with Select while in the attack menu (I think. In later games you have to do it in the status menu). So if you're always using Ember anyway, put it in front!

Also, speaking of Bulbasaur in the original: you were a victim of bad coding as a kid. You thought Zubat's one attack was super effective against your Bulbasaur, but that's not true; it was in fact only super effective against its main type, and not very effective against its secondary type. The "super effective" message in the original games only checked for the main type, though, so it seemed like you were screwed more than you actually were.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I always found it weird how many trainers fight a pokemon battle facing away from you with their butt sticking out.

THIS IS MY BATTLE POSITION

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Simply Simon posted:

Steel, however, for some reason, beats Rock

If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be because Steel tools are used to drill/pick through rocks. QED, Steel>Rock.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Also, speaking of Bulbasaur in the original: you were a victim of bad coding as a kid. You thought Zubat's one attack was super effective against your Bulbasaur, but that's not true; it was in fact only super effective against its main type, and not very effective against its secondary type. The "super effective" message in the original games only checked for the main type, though, so it seemed like you were screwed more than you actually were.

No, he was right. Back then, Poison was weak to Bug and viceversa, not that it ever mattered.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

LupusAter posted:

No, he was right. Back then, Poison was weak to Bug and viceversa, not that it ever mattered.

Poison killing Bugs makes a certain amount of sense... But the reverse is just odd.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Poison killing Bugs makes a certain amount of sense... But the reverse is just odd.

Poison was the closest thing Gen 1 had to an evil type, and bugs defeat evil in japan, what with the whole Kamen Rider thing. Same reasoning as with Dark being weak to Bug.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dome and name the pokemon Peekaboo

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Flipping a coin gave me heads, so Dome.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

LupusAter posted:

This also made poor Paras the only Pokemon to have three separate X4 weaknesses back in Gen 1. Even in-game it's a problem, since Route 3 and Mt. Moon have common Pokemon like Spearow, Nidoran, and Zubat that will happily KO Paras just like our poor OP's Bulbasaur way back when.

I like Paras though, it's a neat Pokemon and my go-to Pokemon catcher in later gens.

Anyway, I vote Dome because I've had more than enough Helix jokes for one lifetime.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whatever comes out of the Dome fossil, we should call it Pauly.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Also, fun fact about your starter evolving: if you evolved your starter in the Japanese Gen 1 games before you delivered Oak's Parcel, you couldn't progress beyond Viridian City:

quote:

In all Japanese Generation I games, if the player evolves their starter Pokémon before bringing Oak his parcel, Oak will assume the player already has the Pokédex and will offer to rate it instead of accepting the parcel. This prevents progression in the game, because the old man in Viridian City stops the player from being able to go north towards Viridian Forest if the Pokédex wasn't obtained.
The only solution is to start a new game. Thankfully, this was fixed in the remakes; as such, this just one more "lol Gen 1" bug for the pile.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 22, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saladin Rising posted:

Also, fun fact about your starter evolving: if you evolved your starter in the Japanese Gen 1 games before you delivered Oak's Parcel, you couldn't progress beyond Viridian City:

The only solution is to start a new game. Thankfully, this was fixed in the remakes. As such, this just one more "lol Gen 1" bug.
I mean, I can't imagine how much grinding this would take, especially without access to Viridian Forest and its highly-flammable exp-filled bug pinatas. I've managed to evolve Charmander (and either Pidgey or Spearow) in Viridian, but I've never had a Pokemon evolve before then.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm gonna Nth the vote for dome fossil.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh man, better nickname suggestion for the dome fossil: Bonedome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

quote:

It's magnetized. And if our Pokemon were metal, that would mean something.

Now you need an Exeter and a Brak. :allears: And let's go for Dome.