Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How's the thread?
This poll is closed.
Chill 11 10.48%
Comfy 16 15.24%
Relaxing 3 2.86%
Witty 0 0%
Delightful 1 0.95%
Cool 1 0.95%
Engaging 0 0%
:kazooieass: 73 69.52%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Thanks for including me in the OP. I'll do my best.

meanwhile though apparently they got free ice cream at the hotel and holy poo poo I am going to gain like 10 pounds this week I am so thrilled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I live in Copenhagen, and I'm considering going for a day. What's the best time to go if I wanted to meet up with some new goonpals?

If you haven't bought a ticket already I don't think you can just get entry.

Edit: also i think it's literally just me and kenny for goon attendees I can't think of anyone else

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Just yell something bad about Celeste or Freedom Planet until he storms up to you angrily.

I'm glad people are starting to associate me with more things that Freedom Planet.

seriously I haven't ran that game in 2 years

I'm by the quick and crash cab now! I was just sleeping. My journey took 23 hours and I didn't sleep for much of it so i was wiiiiiped

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i beat Pringles it sucks

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

RoboJoe posted:

Now I’m regretting not going to ESA in person, it’d be cheaper for me than trying to go to GDQ, but still a small investment to do it. It would have been cool to see Punchy or Kenny in person there :3:

i am absolutely not worth travelling a significant distance to meet

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I'll be up next commentating Dream Drop Distance.

because the guy who was supposed to is sleeping and I'm the next best thing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

parabolic posted:

can they shorten your headset cord any more?

lmao tell me about it

it was all tangled and poo poo and I couldn't get it free until like halfway through

that could've gone worse at least for me totally bullshitting my way through commentary for a game the entire couch has never ran

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

broke: bird rear end
woke: snake pass

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I was chilling in the crowd for Dust in an attempt to figure out what the gently caress that warping poo poo was.

I am only slightly closer to knowledge after that.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

planks (event organiser) very passionately extolled the virtue of geoguessr to me so I'm gonna catch that

that's the type of poo poo that'd probably only get into ESA specifically because Planks loves travelling and seeing the world and poo poo.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

this is so loving good

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

raditts posted:

How is this a speedrun tho

quiet nerd

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

That was definitely an "only at ESA" kind of run and that's why regional representation in speedrunning is good thanks for watching

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

am I missing a joke for why trying to get a name incentive to be Punchy

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I'm pounding back cans of Red Bull to be ready for my run as I wish to be ELECTRIC given the hour

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

what the gently caress was that mess lmaooo

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FLOWING SANDS OF TIME

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I gotta say three hours of a driving game is also a bold "ESA only" kind of run but like I mean that in less of a good way this time

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

The Lobster posted:

Is this more posting than ESA usually gets?

Yes. Prev threads straight up died.

This is also more viewers than ESA usually gets at that. I think it's going well? And so far I really only have nice things to say about the event. I'm really glad that I haven't got poo poo to talk for the most part.

Mostly. Game choice/scheduling is still a bit all over the show but I guess it prides itself on being a bit more grabbag.

I PBed Quick and Crash in the arcade and now I'm going to bed. I leave you with a grumpy punchy take:

Megaman speedruns aren't bad but aren't really any better than the average NES run and are all also very samey so I'm kind of bewildered by the respect they are afforded as speedgames.

(kind of reflects how I feel about the games themselves but ain't that a take too hot)

aight peace watch Rabi Ribi on stream 2 tomorrow that run is loving sick thanks

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ramos posted:

That's the game that Steam will eternally recommend because I apparently like Indie games. I guess I'll finally get to see if it's any good.

It looks like booby anime game (and it sort of is a bunch of inane anime bullshit) but it's actually a bullet hell metroidvania with a really dizzying amount of content. I recommend it. Run is also crazy good and should've been on stream 1

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ramos posted:

Sounds like a Touhou fan game (or Bunny Must Die).

honestly yeah kinda but I reckon it has a novel enough take on the format to be worth a punt

I very much enjoyed my time with it even though I did just begin skipping through the cutscenes at the halfway mark because the anime was far too inane for me. I just didn't care. Plot is incomprehensible and unnecessary. Gameplay tho is hella tight, was a fan.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

anything good while I slept? I fell asleep during NES games and I've woken up to babies being kicked at fetuses

I kinda got woken up by Isaac runners yelling but I fell asleep again shortly.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i wonder why this game thinks nazi zombies are funny enough to use them for the entire back half of the game

Like I'm with it on everything besides that for the most part

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Lol if you've never heard of Flipendo

these games are a staple of Europe childhood for a certain age bracket

They're also not actually bad games

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

is this actually a thing

i.... i played it too (gamecube, i think?)

The PS1 versions of these games is one of the best selling games in the UK for that console. It's a strangely universal experience.

The PC versions were more popular in more PC centric regions. Hence the run you see before you

Hi I'm threadposting on cam

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Wait are you saying a licensed Harry Potter game was good?

Nearly all of the Harry potter games before Azkaban are competent to Surprisingly Good

They're totally different games by console but none of them are bad. It's really weird.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1021605982017921024?s=19

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Harry Potter and the Brightness Slider

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1021650430596706309?s=19

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

The Rabi Ribi runner PBed like twice sequentially in the practice room so he's on a groove atm

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Rabi Ribi on stream 2 close at hand, give it a go

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Having hashed it out now I am also commentating two runs on Saturday. Plus I got my own thing with Celeste on Thursday.

Kingdom Hearts birth by sleep (makes sense) and sonic mania

sonic mania is the confusing one because I actively dislike that game and the runner knows this but he seems to think it'll be funny so ok then hope everyone likes me being incredibly unchill and trashing Manias poo poo bosses live on air

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

it was a valiant effort to stick my name on a run I have no affiliation with though lads

seriously people have been asking me all week "why is your name in the bid war for that" lol

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I'm with Studio in that I remain completely unsold on the second stream thing and i think it's kind of transparently bad for the event

but idk they seem to know that and I think they're just willing to eat that to put on as many games as they can?

I am enjoying the event and I think it is definitely the best ESA so far and a pronounced step up from previous events but it still is trying to find it's own angle rather than being another GDQ.

I'm just not sure if being "another GDQ" is all that bad.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Games I Have Learned at ESA so far:

Pringles
Pingu Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin
Fallout (partially)
Rabi Ribi (poo poo out a bad coop run with someone in like 40 minutes idk it barely counts)

pingu was good because Linkboss set up a cool leaderboard for it but I had to wait until early morning anyway because there was some useless jackass hanging around heckling people who didn't immediately understand how to play.

Like of all the games to act like a fuckboi about can you pick a more worthwhile one

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Why can't people behave themselves properly in public?

twice now

A different person just did it to me.

I do not like this "rude overfamilarity" thing that happens with me and I especially don't like the indignant replies when I tell them to get hosed.

apparently Pingu is an after hours game because then nobody is around christ

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

at the rate that this loving setup is going you might get your wish for Celeste being delayed in direct proportion to my remaining patience

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I'm not sure what that was exactly but I think it went well.

It's weird having a prime time slot for once! That crowd was so loving big and into it. Give me prime time more often you cowards.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I like Shirdels energy but I just don't have the heart to tell someone so passionate about it that fighting game speedruns are kind of bad

also please man turn off your steam notifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

SeXReX posted:

like I said it's actually the dumbest loving poo poo and you need to do this every time you log into steam on a new computer and the only valid reasoning for this is that someone gets off on seeing steam chat all over youtube videos and marathons and stuff

well I loving did it for my run so it can't be that hard

I just got intruded on by a "please restart computer" prompt instead because PC gaming

also you're a bitch for that melty blood comment

• Locked thread