Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
EC3 on commentary makes me think the WWE was right to not let him talk without a script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I watch ROH when they show it here if there isn't a good basketball game on Friday. It's an odd TV show since there are some weeks where they only have one new match and sometimes they don't even have that, but I don't watch ROH PPVs so I actually appreciate when they replay matches from those.

I think the no fans is a big positive personally.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Do I think this card is at all interesting?
No.
Would I enjoy it if I watched it? Probably.
The ROH story.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bally’s Sports is in more homes than HDNet so just on that factor ROH probably has more viewers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

smikey posted:

ROH also isn't on the same night and time nationwide every week. It's owned content SBG lets its regional channels decide when or whether to show it or not. It used to air in my area on a SBG owned station here but they stopped showing it years ago.

Yeah I live in a Sinclair market that just doesn't show ROH at all on the local station, but it does show up on ~Ballys Sports Arizona~

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Danhausen is such a weird fit on ROH where everyone takes themselves so seriously.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So what, do they partner with TNA? (CMLL)

Poor ROH.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought it was going to be them retiring at first.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

ROH going full gently caress CMLL mode with their upcoming World Title Match being Rush vs Bandido

That match where he qualified was not ROH's finest moment, a whole lot of it made zero sense. And they hardly ever do any storyline recaps so if you miss a week you might miss like, the entire qualifying event for that thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
ROH is so unimportant on Bally's Sports that they now preempt twenty minutes of the show to do a local Arizona high school sports show and then join the show in progress. I don't care enough about ROH to be mad about this. The five minutes of Gresham vs Yehi I saw was good though.

The farm brawl was fun enough as long as you can divorce it in your mind from Undertaker/AJ or all the Matt Hardy compound matche. Especially when you factor in they had a disclaimer before the match and then put a disclaimer bug before every big spot during the show.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Anecdotally it really seems that now that the novelty of being able to do stuff has passed in most places, you have to REALLY put something exciting on there to get people to show up to things and while that's a good card I don't think there is much to it from a booking perspective.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've watched more ROH than anything the past two months, it is a nice bite sized show that's just a bunch of wrestling. I honestly can't tell half the white dudes with beards apart but there's no one on the show I actively dislike which goes a long way for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Quinn McKay really pulls off "wrestling dork" well. She's still obviously green but manages to look clumsy rather than bad when she messes up and overall is pretty solid. As she gets better it'll be interesting to see if that transitions to the character as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The fact that he has heard of colors other than brown and white would distinguish him from the other white dudes with bad beards division on the roster.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Unfortunately what I think might have been the go home show was preempted by a random poker match on my DVR.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat I enjoyed the heck out of that Rok-C/Miranda match. Rok-C has looked great the whole tournament, she has so much fire and crispness to her offense. Miranda was up and down but she definitely was really good tonight. I really hope ROH sticks with the new crop and doesn't spend much of their very limited time on Maria or Angelina Love.

There is something kind of sad about ROH PPVs but I am not totally able to put my finger on what it is, because I enjoyed the whole show.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Rush is cool but I don't even know what would be left for him. It feels like the heavyweight title is almost vestigial to what they're doing lately. With Gresham eyeing the title I half wonder if they're are thinking about going with people who they can get on their TV more often.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is Fite the best/easiest way to watch the weekly ROH show, and is it up to date? I've seen ROH on TV before on random channels at random times, but I'm never sure if what I'm watching is up to date. I think I'm willing to give ROH another shot and if there's an easy barrier to entry like "streams live on Fite every Monday", then I think I'm in.

It's Honor Club if you are a region where it's available but otherwise then yeah FiteTV.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It'll either be on your local Sinclair network or on Ballys if Sinclair owns your local sports regional. They do have PPV clips maybe once ever 3-4 months or so but it's getting even more rare now that they also have a woman's division that needs time.

I dunno it's completely wrestling-focused most of the time, that is either your cup of tea or it isn't.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

The Final Final Battle.

I've always thought ROH was a bad fit for Sinclair. Will be interesting to see how the contracts work out.

Time to sell the tape library to Tony, IMO. With his AEW library deal with TimeWarner this could be a very good thing for everyone.

edit: Okay wow that's how the contracts worked out. poo poo.

Right now Sinclair is not a good fit for Sinclair. Buying the regional sports networks has them spinning down the drain. I feel like they own too much stuff to collapse completely but they are probably gonna look pretty different a year from now.

Benne posted:

It might survive in some form, I think Sinclair still values them as cheap in-house content. But the days of guaranteed contracts are almost certainly over.

ROH sold literally zero tickets for almost 2 years while paying big money to guys sitting at home, at some point the higher-ups were going to look at the balance sheet and go "what are we doing here"

If anything the ROH as a brand they own is pretty safe because Sinclair is having trouble affording content for their network. Although then again if they can sell it they might not have much choice.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 27, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Q7kid posted:

What are the chances Sinclair just uses the historical tape library as content for its networks? It's got twenty years of material in the can. I know it has been said they view as ROH as cheap content, but is there more value for them now in simply rerunning the archival content rather than making the cost outlays to film new shows?

I'm honestly surprised they aren't already doing it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Akileese posted:

it sounds like some were going to bat for them but Sinclair is disinterested. This is wild. I imagine if Sinclair was trying to peel off assets then we would have heard by now so are they just...circling the drain and not even trying to salvage anything?

They are trying to find buyers for the RSNs but there is a reason Disney and Fox agreed to decouple them from the sale. Outside of local sports, they have a major content problem; Fox was already consolidating that stuff and Disney was rumored to just be interested in canibalizing their rights for ESPN (and as it turns out could also just wait those out and buy them later separately). These things are anchors.

The local sports rights are super expensive and then they just didn’t have local sports immediately after the purchase because of the pandemic, and my guess by judging the type of ads on the network now they probably aren’t getting the most revenue coming their way still.

So they can’t sell off the thing they need to sell off to go back to what was a very successful previous to this for them before although that is what they are trying to do.

E: If I write a post on my phone, then get busy for like five hours, I just need to delete it and not hit send. My brain doesn't catch the grammar problems until it's too late.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 29, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not really sure what they were trying to do but they were so happy buying all that poo poo and then... nothing. Really the same with ROH. No real support or big plan.

Yeah I have no clue. Eventually after owning a bunch of local TV stations for many years, they started doing weird and bad poo poo with the local news, so maybe that was the long game?

Renaissance Spam posted:

If ROH does fully shut down I want to see promotions do a Division of Honor with the handshake and pure rules. Give ROH a piece of the wrestling lexicon.

To me it's one of the better wrestling gimmicks there is. I wouldn't want to only watch honor rules matches but it hits the spot right when used just often enough. Plus I love all the fish out of water scenarios they can do with it, they did the same story a billion times but it worked just about every time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Akileese posted:

I had somehow forgotten they bought all those RSNs from Disney. I remember at the time thinking "boy howdy this seems like a very bad idea" and it turns out it was. RSNs were starting to become an albatross about a decade ago so the fact that they bought a shitload of them in 2019. What's wild is I remember hearing they bid for the NBC ones this past summer. I guess their strategy was "if we own all the RSNs we can try to charge the cable companies a much higher carriage fee", but considering how many they already own and how much money they lose, seems like a poorly thought out plan of attack.

With that in mind, how much money could ROH actually be losing? It has to be a drop in the bucket compared to the RSNs right?

I think you are right that it was a carriage fee play because they yanked all their stuff from most of the streamers a few months ago.

They seemed fine with ROH not making a ton or losing money before all this, they were running it on a small budget anyway so to me it just has to be the RSNs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My assumption before ROH went into trouble was that Gresham was going to get the belt from Bandido and then we'd see him and Jay again since it feels like where everything was being built for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The TV is weird because they're definitely still building storylines for post-Battle stuff but also acknowledging that it is potentially the end.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

coconono posted:

I wonder if its gonna be a copromotion thing with Impact because AFAIK, ROH hasn't been building anything on their TV. I'm not even sure they've been running TV.

It was weird as hell seeing OGK and Vincent not immediately attack each other.

They were building a little on their TV. Like the EC3 program seems to be an ongoing thing. They also had Angelina Love doing a generic "I don't like any of these women" angle I'm guessing in case they lose their whole division before it comes back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like ROH is a lot less valuable to anyone but Sinclair since Sinclair theoretically has the ability to put it into most cable watchers living rooms.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well there needs to be another major wrestling company so if it's ran similar to old ROH all good for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Tony Kahn rips open his dress shirt to reveal another dress shirt the exact same color underneath but with "Aces and Eights" written in grease pin upon his breast.