Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wobbly Python posted:

I'm using an oil filter intended for cars on my motorcycle and it hasn't hurt a thing yet.

There's a reason most motorcycle oil filters cross reference to car oil filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There's a reason most motorcycle oil filters cross reference to car oil filters.

People are monsters?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

An hf204 is identical to a z436 IIIRC, there's no harm in it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. Thanks Ford!!

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have become comfortably degloved.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

R-Type posted:

I have become comfortably degloved.

I cut the fingers off a new pair of gloves recently because the interior seam dug into my fingernails and I couldn't trim it enough. Told myself I'd buy a proper pair of gloves but it has been several weeks and now I don't want to.

Also, my bike is slowly becoming a rat bike and I think I'm all right with that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dammit I got myself this time.

Apparently the last time I flushed my brakes I rounded off a couple nipples and said "Eh, gently caress it, I'll deal with it later."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I filled my shock with air instead of nitrogen because my usual guy broke his gauge and I can't be hosed driving half an hour and paying twenty bucks.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I didn't even replace parts in the top end when I rebuilt the motor on a bike to ride in the Cannonball

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I was messing with the brake lever on my 701sm and some plunger thingy for the brake light switch fell out so I shoved a shaped piece of ziptie in there and it seems to actuate fine now.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
My bike is overdue for an oil change and was running low. Instead of doing the oil change I just topped it up. That's not so bad, but then I neglected to put the filler cap back on. Left it overnight, rode it to a store this morning and was wondering why there was spatter all over the right side of my bike. :doh:

Now I have to decide if I should head home and hope to find the cap on the street or head to Cycle Gear and see if they have one in stock.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a Taiwanese 2t 50cc scooter I bought for eighty bucks, it sat motionless outdoors for a year before I got it so the owner was convinced it was a total loss.

The petrol cap doesn't quite keep rain out of the fuel tank (they all do this, if you have a cheap scooter buy a bike cover) so the carb and tank were all packed with sediment. I cleaned out the carb, threw in a fuel filter and flushed the tank half-assedly to get it going. It runs very well and is exceptionally fast for what it is, has chunky tyres that lean like a bike and a good handling balance, so I enjoy riding it and use it nearly every day to visit local suppliers and the corner shop.

Problem is, there's loads of mud hiding in the nooks of the tank so every morning without fail the carb has some water in it. It'll start and idle (pilot jet is above the water line, auto choke functions) but wont accept any throttle (main jet submerged). I cbf draining the carb with a screwdriver every day, especially when the drain screw is all chewed out and rusty.

Correct solution: take the tank out, either find a way to clean out all the mud or just get a replacement.

My solutions:

As soon as it starts up, there's a brief window when you can open the throttle and run it up to fairly high revs and keep it there before water starts making it through the carb. You hear it stop firing when it starts to suck in the water, but if you've brought the revs up enough it clears the water and starts firing again before it can fall all the way to idle and stall; the flywheel effect of the cvt and wheel spinning stop the engine from stalling instantly.

If the above doesn't work (because it's rained heavily the night before or I haven't run the bike for a week), I leave it idling and just lay it down on its side for a few seconds until the water spills out of the carb vent and it's good to go.

I've been doing this for about six months now.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My chain needs tightened and I've had a socket for the axle nut in my Amazon shopping cart for three months.

My front turn signals are lovely flush-mount two-wire eBay specials installed by the PO. Stock signals are three-wire, one of which being the running lights. I resolved the running lights by terminating them and leaving the (covered) ends of the wires near the lights on the inside of the fairing. They will remain that way for as long as I own the bike.

My rear brake squeaks loudly at certain spots on the rotor while dragging the brake at low speeds and I'm not sure I care enough to ever fix it. I've tried grease on the backs of the pads and actually properly torqueing the caliper and welp emotionally checked out.

I have a new front tire leaning against a wall in my office. It's been there a year.

One of the screws for my exhaust insert is rounded off and only partially screwed in and will likely never be removed by me.

I don't know how old the brake fluid is, and I intend to wait until it's the color of Yuengling.

I rarely wear bike jeans on my commute anymore.

Edit: Oh yeah, CCT needs replaced. Never gonna happen.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 15, 2018

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Ok you're the first one I'm concerned about you might want to address some of those things

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

My chain needs tightened and I've had a socket for the axle nut in my Amazon shopping cart for three months.

My front turn signals are lovely flush-mount two-wire eBay specials installed by the PO. Stock signals are three-wire, one of which being the running lights. I resolved the running lights by terminating them and leaving the (covered) ends of the wires near the lights on the inside of the fairing. They will remain that way for as long as I own the bike.

My rear brake squeaks loudly at certain spots on the rotor while dragging the brake at low speeds and I'm not sure I care enough to ever fix it. I've tried grease on the backs of the pads and actually properly torqueing the caliper and welp emotionally checked out.

I have a new front tire leaning against a wall in my office. It's been there a year.

One of the screws for my exhaust insert is rounded off and only partially screwed in and will likely never be removed by me.

I don't know how old the brake fluid is, and I intend to wait until it's the color of Yuengling.

I rarely wear bike jeans on my commute anymore.

Edit: Oh yeah, CCT needs replaced. Never gonna happen.

I'd have guessed you're the average gn250 owner but you said fairings so Ninja 250?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Ok you're the first one I'm concerned about you might want to address some of those things
hooo boy yeah
Replace your tire, those things have a shelf life. And fix your chain and do your brakes. You probably need new lines too.

And if you don't know how old your fluid is, it's already the color of lovely beer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I lost one of the bolts that keeps the core inside my muffler and it slowly vibrates out over the course of about a thousand miles, so instead I just pound it back into place with a mallet every so often

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'd have guessed you're the average gn250 owner but you said fairings so Ninja 250?
Hah, I once owned a Ninja 250. F4i now though.

hooo boy yeah
Replace your tire, those things have a shelf life. And fix your chain and do your brakes. You probably need new lines too.

And if you don't know how old your fluid is, it's already the color of lovely beer.
Yeah, I jumped the gun on buying a new tire before the old one really warranted replacing so now it's a matter of hitting the intersection of effort/weather. The current tire is still fine in the mean time.

Just replaced f/r brake pads, sound didn't go away (or started after I replaced them, I can't remember now :v: ). The brakes function perfectly other than the noise.

Brake fluid looks fine in the sight glass, but that'll likely happen next summer. Lines.... :effort:

Edit: Made an appointment for the tire (and having them adjust the chain while the bike is there), I thought this was a safe space t:mad:

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 16, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey now if you were a real dickhead you'd just have been told to get a gopro, gotta be cruel to be kind.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The brake fluid in my bike looked fine, it was, uh, not, it had something growing in it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fifty Three posted:

I thought this was a safe space t:mad:

It's a SAFETY space.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
put a lil' weld on the countershaft sprocket to the countershaft nut cause I didn't know about the hosed up splines when I bought the 950. got tired of babysitting the sprocket every few weeks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

The brake fluid in my bike looked fine, it was, uh, not, it had something growing in it.

I guess your bike really

brakes the mold

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It's a SAFETY space.
S, s, s, s.

Phy posted:

I guess your bike really

brakes the mold
:suicide:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

S, s, s, s.

:suicide:

I want to rewrite the lyrics of the safety dance to be about rider safety, but I'm afraid that if I did that I'd have to kick my own rear end.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

put a lil' weld on the countershaft sprocket to the countershaft nut cause I didn't know about the hosed up splines when I bought the 950. got tired of babysitting the sprocket every few weeks.

Somebody else was doing this recently. Supradog?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Some enormous dickhead used an airtool or something to tighten the drain bolt on my honda cub clone... I went to do an oil change about a week ago and it required a tremendous amount of force to get it to turn... and then instead of getting easier it was hard to turn for several rotations, uh oh. I had crossed the threads and had to use a screw driver to pry the bolt away from the engine...

So I got a helicoil and cut some new threads. Toward the end, i felt it grinding on something as it bottomed out... weird. Then I go to change the oil screen (it doesn't have a filter, just a mesh screen)... I look at the instructions, oh its right over the bolt, uh oh.

The thread cutter had bottomed out on the screen and tore a small hole in it. I wouldn't have been worried except I had just created a ton of metal shavings right into bottom of the engine. I had coated the thread cutter and hole in grease so at least most of it was sticking together and easy to scoop out, but still...

I poured a couple of liters of oil in to let it flush out the shavings, and sprayed in pb blaster around to try and knock out any shavings hiding in a corner.

I couldn't find a replacement screen online (the sym symba has been discontinued), so I just used some of my wife's crafting wire to kinda sew the hole shut... Re-installed it and it seems to be running fine.

The better solution would have been to leave the siezed bolt in place and just drain the oil by removing the screen.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I have a Taiwanese 2t 50cc scooter I bought for eighty bucks, it sat motionless outdoors for a year before I got it so the owner was convinced it was a total loss.

The petrol cap doesn't quite keep rain out of the fuel tank (they all do this, if you have a cheap scooter buy a bike cover) so the carb and tank were all packed with sediment. I cleaned out the carb, threw in a fuel filter and flushed the tank half-assedly to get it going. It runs very well and is exceptionally fast for what it is, has chunky tyres that lean like a bike and a good handling balance, so I enjoy riding it and use it nearly every day to visit local suppliers and the corner shop.

Problem is, there's loads of mud hiding in the nooks of the tank so every morning without fail the carb has some water in it. It'll start and idle (pilot jet is above the water line, auto choke functions) but wont accept any throttle (main jet submerged). I cbf draining the carb with a screwdriver every day, especially when the drain screw is all chewed out and rusty.

Correct solution: take the tank out, either find a way to clean out all the mud or just get a replacement.

My solutions:

As soon as it starts up, there's a brief window when you can open the throttle and run it up to fairly high revs and keep it there before water starts making it through the carb. You hear it stop firing when it starts to suck in the water, but if you've brought the revs up enough it clears the water and starts firing again before it can fall all the way to idle and stall; the flywheel effect of the cvt and wheel spinning stop the engine from stalling instantly.

If the above doesn't work (because it's rained heavily the night before or I haven't run the bike for a week), I leave it idling and just lay it down on its side for a few seconds until the water spills out of the carb vent and it's good to go.

I've been doing this for about six months now.

This is my favorite thing.

Currently I'm the PO because I did 10 miles of offroad 2 up accidentally and I still haven't loving cleaned off the chain of the dirt. Oh well.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

When I fix wires, I replace all the wires with whatever I have lying around. Since I work in aviation, this is usually M22759/16 unadorned white wire. So yeah, all the wires might be factory-colored in the middle of the harness, but the last foot or two after the environmental splice is white.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

When I fix wires, I replace all the wires with whatever I have lying around. Since I work in aviation, this is usually M22759/16 unadorned white wire. So yeah, all the wires might be factory-colored in the middle of the harness, but the last foot or two after the environmental splice is white.

You piece of poo poo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress you man.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Get absolutely hosed

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

may your circuits forever short, your fuses always blow and your batteries always die

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can't even hate on this, it's amazing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seriously though, I'm not a wiring sperg but sheer cuntyness aside that drives me crazy just cause of how easy and cheap it is to do a better job. Just get a hold of an old wiring harness from pretty much anything japanese, strip it and you've got 90% of the colours and gauges you'll ever need for minor repairs on pretty much anything that isn't a harley.

I've accrued a few wiring harnesses over the years one way or another (efi hyosungs bursting into flames are a good source of unusual colour combinations). When I've got nothing to do I strip them, pull each colour wire out one by one, clean them with spirits and bundle them up for future use. I've got a box full of wires now, they work better than store-bought stuff cause they 100% match the factory colours and construction on most bikes. I wouldn't use them to make a loom from scratch (spoiler: have done so several times but for lovely low-level race bikes and scooters so who gives a poo poo) but for random repairs it works great. I realise you can get this stuff brand new online but gently caress waiting several weeks when I've got a meter of identical wire right there on the shelf.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Triggered

Extremely accurate username/post combo

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Jokes on you, he’s thoroughly labeled each wire with color coded shrink wrap with clearly printed purpose and polarity.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

builds character posted:

Jokes on you, he’s thoroughly labeled each wire with color coded shrink wrap with clearly printed purpose and polarity.

I have a heat-shrink wire label printer that I use. It's just that all the wires themselves are white. The ends on both sides of a connector have labels.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Do you print the exact phrase used in the original service manual to describe the component connection though? You'd be committing some serious faux pases there if you ended up with a wire going to an auto choke that didn't say "starter" or a sensor in the airbox where the wire didn't say "intake air silencer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I was adding frame sliders that needed the fairing taken off.

I now have a superfluous fairing screw... :iiam:

On the last bike, I didn't have a torque wrench, so I just guessed when it was tight enough; and the engine never fell out when I dropped it those 4 times so I reckon I must have got it right
(the wrench set I was using are like 6 inches long at the longest, so I had to hit it with a mallet to get it tight)

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 26, 2018