Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Many years ago my brother smashed up his bike while I was following behind him in a car. He was pretty knocked up, but didn't want to pay for recovery so I rode it 10 miles home with trashed forks, hosed gear lever, barely any front brake, wobbly and now woefully misaligned wheel and no indicators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rode my Ducati an hour to get it home with no rear axle nut. Had to stop 5 or 6 times to kick the axle back in cause it was sliding out.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Rode my Ducati an hour to get it home with no rear axle nut. Had to stop 5 or 6 times to kick the axle back in cause it was sliding out.

Always carry spare vise-grips?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Skreemer posted:

Always carry spare vise-grips?

Always use a cotter pin?

How in the hell did that happen in the first place?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Many Ducati axles are of a very poor design. This one has nuts on both ends and they are very shallow nuts with no cotter pins or friction locking devices of any kind. One of the tricks of these nuts, which I learned the hard way, is the flange has to be totally dry even though the threads should be lubricated. If the flange is lubricated, the nut disappears while riding.

And by the way if you don't lubricate the flange the nut sometimes grabs it while torquing down and twists and bends the adjuster plate which is made of soft thin metal. I got aftermarket billet adjuster plates for mine shortly after that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 19, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:catstare: I've always been weary of those idiotic symmetrical axles but I didn't know it was THAT bad. Here I was thinking I was being needlessly anal when assembling and it turns out I need to be even more anal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If the axle design is really that idiotic it seems like it would be reasonable to switch to a castellated nut and drill a hole for a cotter pin, or to safety wire it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do you tighten it without it loosening the other side.

Ducati what the gently caress.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

If the axle design is really that idiotic it seems like it would be reasonable to switch to a castellated nut and drill a hole for a cotter pin, or to safety wire it
You'd have to fabricate a longer axle. It's literally so short that no castellated nut would fit on it. The non-castellated ones on it stock are abnormally thin already.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ducati what the gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it's like a 6mm wide nut and about 2-3 threads stick out past it. They could've easily made it a locking nut of some kind but didn't for :italy: reasons.

You tighten it by holding the other end with a spanner like normal, just need to get the alignment fairly centered before you do it up.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

what the gently caress? Ducati.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In case anyone's wondering what this actually looks like:

And fitted:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Good shot of the original and aftermarket adjuster plates there too.

As long as the threads are all in good shape it's not hard to torque down, the friction of the bearings/swingarm generally hold it still enough to get it tight. Although I usually do torque both sides back and forth to keep it centered. If the threads are not all great, it's another story. I spent a while with a thread file on mine some time early in my ownership to try and fix that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Further compounded by the total lack of locking mechanism for the adjuster bolts, I found out the hard way you have to set the chain tension 90%, *mostly* tighten the axle nut, then do the last little bit with the tensioner bolts working against the axle friction and THEN nip up the axle nut. If you try to torque the axle then nip up the adjusters they inevitably vibrate themselves out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would immediately red loctite one side and only ever deal with the other one.

You know, to make it like literally every other bike ever manufactured.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My CB300f has 20,000 miles on it and I've never even thought about changing coolant or brake fluid, oops. I also never clean it and now some clear coat is showing on the top of the tank and the sharpie I used on the black trim was a terrible, terrible idea. I didn't know that the resistance I felt in the wrench was from the turn signal box interrupting the wrench's travel and not the nut and so gouged out some of the platic.

A year and a half ago I took the tank and all the fairings off to change the spark plug and when I was putting it back together again I ended up with two unexplained bolts, very similar to the frame/carriage bolts for the gas tank. They're still in the saddle bag side pocket.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's like reading an airport horror novel.

Also, hell, same.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whoops wrong thread.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was rolling my motorcycle out of the garage today and I left it on a bit of an incline which is usually fine. I guess I had the front tire turned the wrong direction or something because about 10 seconds after I turned around to put my gear on I heard a loud crash and saw my motorcycle lying on it's right side.

My frame sliders prevented most of the damage but I'll need a new front brake lever and god drat I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It happens to everyone. Don't feel bad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I did not know this was a thread.
I'm sure I've done some bad things before. I've touched a looot of bikes.

My biggest sin is probably just hoarding a (literal) tons of old motorcycles.

Off the top of my head I know I've done some bad things with chains before: I used a clip link on a customer's bike because they insisted.
I used 2 master links on some idiot's drag 'Busa because he outright refused to buy the right length chain and instead brought in his own parts. Of course he snapped the chain and I had to rebuild the entire motor.

I think there's probably a couple drywall screws in my VFR right now. I only recently put a whole fairing bolt kit on it. I had everything just ziptied and duct taped together for several years.
I've got a 20 year old shinko on the rear of that bike too because it is hard as gently caress and I only use it to commute.

I frequently can't find replacement parts for things so I just have to kind of cobble together what I can.
Using a flux pen and solder to repair traces is a common tactic.

OH THEN THERE WAS THIS DOOZY!

That was the rear brake of the VFR. I finally slipped that last little paper thin piece of pad when I went riding with M42.
I also wrecked a showroom condition CBR600 F3

Edit: oh yeah and I still wear the helmet I wore when I wrecked that bike, despite the fact that I've got 2-3 other completely unused helmets lying around.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 12, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just glued a new gasket to the clutch cover with rtv.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I’ve always used clip links on bikes :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Clips vs. rivets is the new "what oil is best" imo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I should have specified I was prepping race bikes at the time.
The clip link went on a turbo'd Hayabusa with an air shifter.

...I'm beginning to see a pattern here

I have no qualms putting a clip link on a dirtbike/adventurebikes though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I couldn't even find a clip link for a 530 chain when I replaced the one on the B12. I wasn't gonna buy a $100 tool I'd rarely use again, so I did what this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDnmPoMDzY

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Clips vs. rivets is the new "what oil is best" imo

I've just discovered screw type master links are a thing that exist, and I can't decide if they're genius or :stonkhat:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dagen H posted:

I couldn't even find a clip link for a 530 chain when I replaced the one on the B12. I wasn't gonna buy a $100 tool I'd rarely use again, so I did what this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDnmPoMDzY

Meh I fashioned ones out of pluming supplies, c clamps, flare tools, and metal punches before.
That's definitely not the worst thing.

The motion pro rivet tool however... that is the worst thing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ordered a $60 eBay knock off chineesium exhaust for a bike that retailed at like 25k

I figure I can blow through 10 of them before I get to even the cheapest real market exhaust so gently caress it

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I have never changed to coolant on my bike.

Last time I rebuilt the carbs I accidentally mixed up the perspective on my picture and put the choke cable in the the wrong direction. This means it doesn’t correctly loop around to the bracket. The choke handle is currently zip tied to the throttle cable.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Last year I replaced my clutch, changed the oil, and all my brake pads. Took the tank off and cleaned up everything checking for vacuum leaks, cleaned the throttle bodies and replaced the air filter. I even put on a new chain.
It has sat ever since then because I haven't bought a new battery.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I can't find my loving FZ6's key, so I haven't rode in weeks.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Elviscat posted:

I can't find my loving FZ6's key, so I haven't rode in weeks.

If you can pull the ignition cylinder, take it to a locksmith. It costs like 50$ for a new set.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
AFAIK the fz6 got that Yamaha security key system, you need keys with a chip in them and enable them with the red master key, so a little more involved if the red key is missing too.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Supradog posted:

AFAIK the fz6 got that Yamaha security key system, you need keys with a chip in them and enable them with the red master key, so a little more involved if the red key is missing too.

You can buy YISS bypass units on EBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233332419617

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aw yiss

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Had to put a new chain on the Ninja 250 my idiot ex repeatedly wrecked so it’d move under it’s own power again and we could sell it.

Cheap rear end eBay roller chain, couldn’t initially get the clip to seat properly on the master link, and once I did, it was floppy.

Said gently caress it, tack welded the clip to the side of the link. It stayed in place and the chain worked fine.

That bike was a piece of poo poo and I was glad when she finally admitted she shouldn’t be riding.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

This is so idiotic I'm almost too embarrassed to post. New (old) bike, new torque wrench, first oil change. Not my first time doing an oil change. Pulled out the old oil filter, made sure not to lose the stupid spring, checked the o-ring, wiped everything down, popped the new one in. Checked the torque specs, set my wrench, double checked the specs, went to town. Seemed like I was putting a lot of force on these little bolts but what do I know. Suddenly, no resistance. That's funny, never had a torque wrench that worked like that before. Bolt head felt secure to my fingers, so I moved to the other bolt. Tighten, tighten, no resistance. Job well done, I thought.

Grab the drain bolts to put those back in, check the manual for their torque specs. Realized I was off by two orders of magnitude on the filter cover bolts :cripes:

Only one bolt broke. The other had just twisted into a thin ribbon. Incredibly, I was able to gently back the twist one out and the one that broke broke high enough up that I could get it out. Dodged a massively stupid bullet there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That would be awesome and hilarious if torque wrenches worked that way. Tighten till it loosens.