Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was joking haha. One flap is perfectly fine, your PO probably just didn’t do any at all.

I’ve never seen one flat let go of a nut ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
PO actually did two!

I was PO this time, as the last sprocket change was done by me (I did use the lock washer though)

e/ I did two flaps this time, just in case.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 5, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Galaxy brain: tack weld the nut to the sprocket

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tack may not hold, better burn that fucker in

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Galaxy brain: tack weld the nut to the sprocket

You rang?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

PO actually did two!

I was PO this time, as the last sprocket change was done by me (I did use the lock washer though)

e/ I did two flaps this time, just in case.

The flap did it's job perfectly, bending over two won't make it somehow twice as locky. I've seen loads of bikes that rode fine where the sprocket was held on by the lock washer alone. The issue is you didn't tighten the nut enough in the first place, it should never come loose lock washer or not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sprocket change = transmission replacement. This checks out :hmmyes:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sprocket change = transmission replacement. This checks out :hmmyes:

Sprocket change cases getting split
it's a ktm thing you shouldn't understand
I can't haiku for poo poo

(PO sold the fucker to me with mostly stripped out countershaft splines without disclosing the fact. It's a *lot* more welded than that now. I don't intend to change that sprocket until it is good and hosed. By that point the bike should be at 100k-mi and I'll decide on splitting cases, fixing that and a half dozen other ktm-isms or throwing another engine with all the technical updates at it.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

The flap did it's job perfectly, bending over two won't make it somehow twice as locky. I've seen loads of bikes that rode fine where the sprocket was held on by the lock washer alone. The issue is you didn't tighten the nut enough in the first place, it should never come loose lock washer or not.

Wrench was set to 128Nm, struggled to make it click (though it did) even giving it everything I had with both arms. Don't really know how much harder I can tighten it!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Wrench was set to 128Nm, struggled to make it click (though it did) even giving it everything I had with both arms. Don't really know how much harder I can tighten it!

After converting your sensible SI units to Freedom units - that's less than 100ft-lbs. Chances are you weigh more than that. Try to get the torque wrench in a horizontal position so you're pushing down on it, lock your arms, and bring your body weight to bear. Might not work well if you don't have a center stand or good front chock.

Failing that, buy a bigger torque wrench with a longer handle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try wire brushing the threads so they're perfectly clean, then use blue loctite.

This is the right thread to admit this: if the bike has one huge sprocket nut like yours, I usually just give it a few dakadakas with the rattle gun - there's almost no risk of stripping the threads (a lovely old rattle gun helps here) and it's guaranteed never to come off.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I haven’t had a sprocket off in a while, but isn’t that a relatively low torque fitting?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Something like 60 lb-ft on my FZ6 if I recall correctly.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

moxieman posted:

Something like 60 lb-ft on my FZ6 if I recall correctly.

Yeah, that’s about what I was thinking. I remember the hassle on my XJ600 was finding a socket big enough to get on it, but it took no effort with a breaker bar to get it loose.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I ran out of gas for the first time ever yesterday (car or bike). I knew I was low on gas but I spent too long hanging out after our ride yesterday and I was running late getting home and tried to chance it. I was only 0.6 miles away, but up a steep hill so I couldn't push the bike. At least now I have a gas can.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat I'm going to have two posts in this thread in a row. I'm usually pretty good at chain maintenance but I got lazy recently because I didn't think I had been riding that much. The shop that installed my tires told me my chain was too loose and adjusted it for me, and I can actually feel the difference taking off from a stop, oops.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I ran out of gas the other day too. Got on the road, had to switch to reserve just as I was leaving, but I was like naaaah I can make it, the combination of the distance and the kind of riding will work out. I know my bike.

I was right, and I made it to where I needed to be just fine. I finished up, got back on, headed straight for a gas station, and ran out of fuel 5 minutes later, 3 blocks away from the gas station. I know my bike.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I fill up early, I hate the idea of being caught short.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't wash or otherwise clean my bike before I put it in the shed thinking I'd have one more good weekend to haul it out and do all that.

Also didn't lube the chain very well. I went in and sprayed it after the fact but no way for me to rotate the wheel on the dolly so I guess I have to hope it won't rust too much.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I ran out of gas the other day too. Got on the road, had to switch to reserve just as I was leaving, but I was like naaaah I can make it, the combination of the distance and the kind of riding will work out. I know my bike.

I was right, and I made it to where I needed to be just fine. I finished up, got back on, headed straight for a gas station, and ran out of fuel 5 minutes later, 3 blocks away from the gas station. I know my bike.

Worst feeling. I ran my tank dry, the other day too... running late to a Dr appt I had to fight to get, 5 mins ride from the hospital.
Switched it to reserve and it still wouldn’t start for a fair while despite fuel visibly in the external filter.

Turns out I fat fingered the trip meter into reverse (why is the DRZs tach so complicated?) and lost my sense of range.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Horse Clocks posted:

trip meter reverse

Why is this even a feature???

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I didn't wash or otherwise clean my bike before I put it in the shed thinking I'd have one more good weekend to haul it out and do all that.

Also didn't lube the chain very well. I went in and sprayed it after the fact but no way for me to rotate the wheel on the dolly so I guess I have to hope it won't rust too much.

I just spray one puff of chainlube on the exposed bit of chain on my Honda after every ride. Death by a thousand cuts.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Designed by the same engineer who decided a meter that counts UP from when you hit reserve is a good idea, vs counting DOWN towards an empty tank.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I was carrying a record player on my luggage rack today. I made sure it was tightly strapped down. Like 'with a lot of effort you could just about force your finger under the straps' tight.

Almost at my destination, i hear 'Beep. Beep'. The record player is now unstrapped, just sitting there, with the straps waving in the wind.

The gently caress. How?!

I can only think of two places where i got a big bump, which is at a railroad crossing and at a speed hump. Between that and the guy notifying me, there were like 10 minutes of gentle highway riding. How did it not get blown off?! Hell, how did it not fall off in the 15ish seconds between the guy notifying me and me finding a safe place to stop?

Anyway, stopped in the bus lane, pulled out an extra strap so now only the Hulk could rip it off, and safely got to my destination.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some sort of endurance racing thing I think. It’s a carryover from the E model

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

Designed by the same engineer who decided a meter that counts UP from when you hit reserve is a good idea, vs counting DOWN towards an empty tank.

Don't they design reserve tanks to always have about 50 miles in them?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't they design reserve tanks to always have about 50 miles in them?

Way, way too much credit here. Nobody 'designed' anything, as far as inside of the tank goes. Someone somewhere designed the fuel tap, with reserve about 3 inches below on, at some point in the eighties. You go ahead and 'design' me three holes in the bottom stamping for it to bolt through, that's a good boy, back to your desk renesa-kun.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tanks, IMO, should have at least 200 miles of range worth of fuel carrying capacity in them.

My current 100-ish mile tank is annoying.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's my biggest complaint about most bikes. "Just fill up gas more lol" doesn't hunt when you are 20+ miles from the nearest gas station in the mountains. Oh let me fill up then ride kinda out in the curves then keep in mind I need to have range to get back to the gas station to repeat that.

Outside of that, filling up several times a week, or several times a day on a trip, is annoying. The 350 mile tank on the EX250 was amazing.

Manufacturers CAN make a bigger tank, and choose not to. There is always a tiny fuel pod surrounded by fake plastic bodywork that could contain at least 2 more gallons.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just last weekend I found out an nc21 vfr400 has an 18L tank, while a cb1000r has what appeared to be 16L, and that translates to roughly half the range of the 400.

Anyways you can say 'make bigger tank plz' but there are far more people screeching about appearance and weight so you'll always lose that tugowar unless you're looking at ADV's or tourers (but I repeat myself). A fuel gauge/low light is a reasonable compromise but they're one size fits all just like fuel taps and you're never the lucky one with the bike it was actually designed for so you still have to learn your general range.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My point is there is room for a bigger tank, and this wouldn't mess with styling. Wet weight, of course, but like put less gas in it maybe if you care about that.

Have you seen underneath the honda body panels? It's just vast empty space and a tiny fuel cell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pull a Buell and hollow out the swingarm or frame for liquids.

e: Also you could fit so much fuel in the tires.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 14, 2020

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Martytoof posted:

e: Also you could fit so much fuel in the tires.

Rokon did that:
Floatation – Hollow drum wheels can provide floatation or space for up to 2.5 gallons of extra fuel or water.

https://rokon.com/product/trail-breaker/

though at a top speed of "not much"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore iron butt dude. Like “has strong opinions on different brands of catheters” hardcore.

He rigged a rear tank on the rack of his concours 14 that fed into his main tank. He could turn the flow on and off to essentially refill the main tank while riding. Fighter jet style.

He claims with his catheter in and a camelback loaded up he could go 600 miles at a time. No idea how accurate that is but :wtc:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry but that’s almost as dumb as diaper astronaught driver lady.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s super dumb but that’s the iron butt life bro

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Putting tubes in my urethra and smelling like pee to avoid 90 seconds of lost time on a trip that is ostensibly for fun.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Manufacturers CAN make a bigger tank, and choose not to. There is always a tiny fuel pod surrounded by fake plastic bodywork that could contain at least 2 more gallons.

Then old fuds will bitch about the fat gut of a tank hanging out everywhere like its their own!

a klr with a 10 gal tank is a force to be reckoned with. Shame its a klr.
Some of the idiots manage to get nearly 15 gallons onto the 950/990 adv. Asinine.

The fzr400 I owned had a big plastic fairing that went over the metal tank. The whole thing could have been molded in PA6 or the like increasing fuel capacity by a good gallon or two.

I've never really ran outta fuel unless it was my own fault by not paying attention or doing it on purpose (woo rotopax).
I've come close several times.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore iron butt dude. Like “has strong opinions on different brands of catheters” hardcore.

He rigged a rear tank on the rack of his concours 14 that fed into his main tank. He could turn the flow on and off to essentially refill the main tank while riding. Fighter jet style.

He claims with his catheter in and a camelback loaded up he could go 600 miles at a time. No idea how accurate that is but :wtc:

And how much meth is this fucker on? After like 125mi I'm hurting for an exit to stretch for 5mins. Still put 750mi/day with stopping for breaks. Again, why? Camelbak is good for dirt biking. External cats are good for cooking the clock(See dakar) and or endurance training. Totally not needed for any ride, much less iron butt.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are these the same kind of catheters you'd get in the hospital? If so, why???????? I had one in the hospital and just rolling over in my sleep would wake me up with searing pain along my urethra because oh look, someone jammed something the size of an In-N-Out straw all the way up my dick. I'd rather wear a diaper or just piss myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Are these the same kind of catheters you'd get in the hospital? If so, why???????? I had one in the hospital and just rolling over in my sleep would wake me up with searing pain along my urethra because oh look, someone jammed something the size of an In-N-Out straw all the way up my dick. I'd rather wear a diaper or just piss myself.

I straight up can't imagine ever doing ANYTHING that requires telling myself "you won't have time to stop and take a leak, gotta shove a tube up your dick." Did dude have a fetish or something?