Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's like reading an airport horror novel.

Also, hell, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It happens to everyone. Don't feel bad.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The first time I used my shiny new torque wrench (because I wanted to do it right!) I sheared an oil filter cover bolt in the same way. Managed to get the rest of it out somehow but man I never touched a torque wrench again for years.

Yes I know I need a sensitive torque wrench for little things, but the markings were there for it!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's my biggest complaint about most bikes. "Just fill up gas more lol" doesn't hunt when you are 20+ miles from the nearest gas station in the mountains. Oh let me fill up then ride kinda out in the curves then keep in mind I need to have range to get back to the gas station to repeat that.

Outside of that, filling up several times a week, or several times a day on a trip, is annoying. The 350 mile tank on the EX250 was amazing.

Manufacturers CAN make a bigger tank, and choose not to. There is always a tiny fuel pod surrounded by fake plastic bodywork that could contain at least 2 more gallons.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My point is there is room for a bigger tank, and this wouldn't mess with styling. Wet weight, of course, but like put less gas in it maybe if you care about that.

Have you seen underneath the honda body panels? It's just vast empty space and a tiny fuel cell.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

listen, if bikes can have overflow tubes that vent onto the street them I should be able to as well

Wait now hang on I think we might have something here.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why do you always go to cracker barrel before our long rides, Travis?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's so much gas. What do you do with all that extra gas? 2.25 gal of riding before reserve? WR250x had a 2 gallon tank that was part of the reason I sold it. 70 mile range is unforgivable. I think the new kawi sumo has a 2 gal tank, too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does a bigger tank from one of the other 390 platforms fit?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Been meaning to replace the cush rubbers in the Hawk for a long time. 8 months ago it felt like I had a loose chain, but the chain was fine, so it must be the cush. I kept putting it off because I barely ride due to the pandemic and I hate working on bikes.

Today it was time to get it done, and I was actually afraid that the cush rubbers would be similar condition to my new replacements, making the job a waste of time. This is what I found upon opening the casing. :stare:

Feeling how snug the new rubbers made everything, I cannot wait to take it for a ride.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

When I took it apart a few days later there was no sign of the cush rubbers whatsoever, just that same green powder.

LMAO This brings new meaning to "consumable items" in motorcycle maintenance.

Jazzzzz posted:

welp

I obviously never got around to it either - let's blame the PPO

I'm pretty sure you said "the cush rubbers probably need to be replaced" when I picked the bike up. Thanks for giving me a set of cush rubbers with the sale. You were very generous.

Got it out for a meandering 3 hour ride today and it was like a whole new bike. Felt butter smooth and sublime all over. Even things like cornering, where you wouldn't expect the slop to show up, were night and day. It felt comparatively unsafe and unstable in sharp turns and low speed stuff before.

Please enjoy this overexposed photo of a dirty motorcycle next to a lake that looks like it was taken with a disposable camera from the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Ablative Cushioning" by Honda