Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I have a Taiwanese 2t 50cc scooter I bought for eighty bucks, it sat motionless outdoors for a year before I got it so the owner was convinced it was a total loss.

The petrol cap doesn't quite keep rain out of the fuel tank (they all do this, if you have a cheap scooter buy a bike cover) so the carb and tank were all packed with sediment. I cleaned out the carb, threw in a fuel filter and flushed the tank half-assedly to get it going. It runs very well and is exceptionally fast for what it is, has chunky tyres that lean like a bike and a good handling balance, so I enjoy riding it and use it nearly every day to visit local suppliers and the corner shop.

Problem is, there's loads of mud hiding in the nooks of the tank so every morning without fail the carb has some water in it. It'll start and idle (pilot jet is above the water line, auto choke functions) but wont accept any throttle (main jet submerged). I cbf draining the carb with a screwdriver every day, especially when the drain screw is all chewed out and rusty.

Correct solution: take the tank out, either find a way to clean out all the mud or just get a replacement.

My solutions:

As soon as it starts up, there's a brief window when you can open the throttle and run it up to fairly high revs and keep it there before water starts making it through the carb. You hear it stop firing when it starts to suck in the water, but if you've brought the revs up enough it clears the water and starts firing again before it can fall all the way to idle and stall; the flywheel effect of the cvt and wheel spinning stop the engine from stalling instantly.

If the above doesn't work (because it's rained heavily the night before or I haven't run the bike for a week), I leave it idling and just lay it down on its side for a few seconds until the water spills out of the carb vent and it's good to go.

I've been doing this for about six months now.

This is my favorite thing.

Currently I'm the PO because I did 10 miles of offroad 2 up accidentally and I still haven't loving cleaned off the chain of the dirt. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU