Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I did not know this was a thread.
I'm sure I've done some bad things before. I've touched a looot of bikes.

My biggest sin is probably just hoarding a (literal) tons of old motorcycles.

Off the top of my head I know I've done some bad things with chains before: I used a clip link on a customer's bike because they insisted.
I used 2 master links on some idiot's drag 'Busa because he outright refused to buy the right length chain and instead brought in his own parts. Of course he snapped the chain and I had to rebuild the entire motor.

I think there's probably a couple drywall screws in my VFR right now. I only recently put a whole fairing bolt kit on it. I had everything just ziptied and duct taped together for several years.
I've got a 20 year old shinko on the rear of that bike too because it is hard as gently caress and I only use it to commute.

I frequently can't find replacement parts for things so I just have to kind of cobble together what I can.
Using a flux pen and solder to repair traces is a common tactic.

OH THEN THERE WAS THIS DOOZY!

That was the rear brake of the VFR. I finally slipped that last little paper thin piece of pad when I went riding with M42.
I also wrecked a showroom condition CBR600 F3

Edit: oh yeah and I still wear the helmet I wore when I wrecked that bike, despite the fact that I've got 2-3 other completely unused helmets lying around.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I should have specified I was prepping race bikes at the time.
The clip link went on a turbo'd Hayabusa with an air shifter.

...I'm beginning to see a pattern here

I have no qualms putting a clip link on a dirtbike/adventurebikes though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dagen H posted:

I couldn't even find a clip link for a 530 chain when I replaced the one on the B12. I wasn't gonna buy a $100 tool I'd rarely use again, so I did what this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDnmPoMDzY

Meh I fashioned ones out of pluming supplies, c clamps, flare tools, and metal punches before.
That's definitely not the worst thing.

The motion pro rivet tool however... that is the worst thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Last year I replaced my clutch, changed the oil, and all my brake pads. Took the tank off and cleaned up everything checking for vacuum leaks, cleaned the throttle bodies and replaced the air filter. I even put on a new chain.
It has sat ever since then because I haven't bought a new battery.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dagen H posted:

*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

Every Yamaha I've ever had roll into the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I almost sold what's left of my collection of old motorcycles for $2500 just to get it out of my mom's house to make her happy. Unfortunately one of the "bikes" she took pictures of didn't belong to me so I couldn't sell it. (it was literally just a frame and motor anyway)
Bruh passed because "all or nothin" despite me throwing in 3 more titled motorcycles he didn't even know about.

I am so very relieved that he skipped on the deal.