Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ought ten posted:

This is so idiotic I'm almost too embarrassed to post. New (old) bike, new torque wrench, first oil change. Not my first time doing an oil change. Pulled out the old oil filter, made sure not to lose the stupid spring, checked the o-ring, wiped everything down, popped the new one in. Checked the torque specs, set my wrench, double checked the specs, went to town. Seemed like I was putting a lot of force on these little bolts but what do I know. Suddenly, no resistance. That's funny, never had a torque wrench that worked like that before. Bolt head felt secure to my fingers, so I moved to the other bolt. Tighten, tighten, no resistance. Job well done, I thought.

Grab the drain bolts to put those back in, check the manual for their torque specs. Realized I was off by two orders of magnitude on the filter cover bolts :cripes:

Only one bolt broke. The other had just twisted into a thin ribbon. Incredibly, I was able to gently back the twist one out and the one that broke broke high enough up that I could get it out. Dodged a massively stupid bullet there.

You've made me paranoid to do my own first oil change that I was planning to do now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement.

This is my new 12mm oil drain bolt (bought a brand new honda original part, 6 flipping quid for a bolt...). Will get some similar washers too shortly from the local shop.

Thinking about getting the following torque wrench and socket set in order to torque it up to 30NM as per the manual, think it should do the trick?:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-torque-wrench-3-8-x-14/5848v
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-3-8-drive-socket-set-40-pcs/3503x

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

What made you replace the drain screw? Old one hosed?

It's a 125, it's had 5 owners prior to me, if I take it off and it's messed up, it's best to have a spare around... No idea if anyone has ever changed the oil on this during its 7500 or so miles its done.

I'll get the torque wrench just in case, so that I know what's the right amount of torque, never worked on something like this before (I have however stripped screws in computers before by over tightening them...).

Thanks Slavvy.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I fill up early, I hate the idea of being caught short.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I didn't wash or otherwise clean my bike before I put it in the shed thinking I'd have one more good weekend to haul it out and do all that.

Also didn't lube the chain very well. I went in and sprayed it after the fact but no way for me to rotate the wheel on the dolly so I guess I have to hope it won't rust too much.

I just spray one puff of chainlube on the exposed bit of chain on my Honda after every ride. Death by a thousand cuts.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tanks, IMO, should have at least 200 miles of range worth of fuel carrying capacity in them.

My current 100-ish mile tank is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry but that’s almost as dumb as diaper astronaught driver lady.