Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Post the terrible things you do to your bikes, your lovely behavior in traffic, the bad clothes you wear, and other motorcycle-related evidence of you generally being a sloppy piece of poo poo.

My first bike was a 1979 XS400, which I rode for about 2 years. I never checked the tire pressure or changed the oil once. I may have topped it up a couple times.

On my current street bike, my vacuum fuel pump started leaking around the seals, so I bought a tube of RTV and globbed it on there until it stopped dripping gas. That was thousands of miles ago, and a new replacement would have been like $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have never serviced a single bearing on any motorcycle I've owned, other than cleaning my steerer bearings the one time I had the front end apart.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Minkee posted:

I have one bike that needs me to put a T joint in the carb to run. I have the part, the carb is already pulled, all I have to do is undo two screws and put it back on the bike. I haven't bothered since I have another motorcycle.

Ha, the t joint on my carb rack is broken, so I just heated up the gas line a bit and slipped it past the broken section as far as I could and put a hose clamp on it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Collateral Damage posted:

I torque the oil sump plug to a medium grunt.

Same on bieks and cars. I know what it'll take to get it back off and I know what it takes to smash a copper washer, that not a bolt I'm likely to overtorque.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yerok posted:

I put clip master links on everything & have never had a chain failure

sneak edit: ^rotella in literally everything

What is this, some kind of humble brag? It's what master links are made for. Anyone insisting riveted links are the only acceptable chain is an elitist prick who will tell you you're jerking off the wrong way.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wobbly Python posted:

I'm using an oil filter intended for cars on my motorcycle and it hasn't hurt a thing yet.

There's a reason most motorcycle oil filters cross reference to car oil filters.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dammit I got myself this time.

Apparently the last time I flushed my brakes I rounded off a couple nipples and said "Eh, gently caress it, I'll deal with it later."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Ok you're the first one I'm concerned about you might want to address some of those things
hooo boy yeah
Replace your tire, those things have a shelf life. And fix your chain and do your brakes. You probably need new lines too.

And if you don't know how old your fluid is, it's already the color of lovely beer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fifty Three posted:

I thought this was a safe space t:mad:

It's a SAFETY space.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

put a lil' weld on the countershaft sprocket to the countershaft nut cause I didn't know about the hosed up splines when I bought the 950. got tired of babysitting the sprocket every few weeks.

Somebody else was doing this recently. Supradog?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

When I fix wires, I replace all the wires with whatever I have lying around. Since I work in aviation, this is usually M22759/16 unadorned white wire. So yeah, all the wires might be factory-colored in the middle of the harness, but the last foot or two after the environmental splice is white.

gently caress you man.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Skreemer posted:

Always carry spare vise-grips?

Always use a cotter pin?

How in the hell did that happen in the first place?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ducati what the gently caress.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just glued a new gasket to the clutch cover with rtv.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ought ten posted:

This is so idiotic I'm almost too embarrassed to post. New (old) bike, new torque wrench, first oil change. Not my first time doing an oil change. Pulled out the old oil filter, made sure not to lose the stupid spring, checked the o-ring, wiped everything down, popped the new one in. Checked the torque specs, set my wrench, double checked the specs, went to town. Seemed like I was putting a lot of force on these little bolts but what do I know. Suddenly, no resistance. That's funny, never had a torque wrench that worked like that before. Bolt head felt secure to my fingers, so I moved to the other bolt. Tighten, tighten, no resistance. Job well done, I thought.

Grab the drain bolts to put those back in, check the manual for their torque specs. Realized I was off by two orders of magnitude on the filter cover bolts :cripes:

Only one bolt broke. The other had just twisted into a thin ribbon. Incredibly, I was able to gently back the twist one out and the one that broke broke high enough up that I could get it out. Dodged a massively stupid bullet there.

I did this a while back except adjusted to in-lbs instead of ft-lbs and was confused by the oil cover bolts barely being finger tight on a 650 thumper.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dagen H posted:

*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

This sounds like Suzuki Things

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I haven’t had a sprocket off in a while, but isn’t that a relatively low torque fitting?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

moxieman posted:

Something like 60 lb-ft on my FZ6 if I recall correctly.

Yeah, that’s about what I was thinking. I remember the hassle on my XJ600 was finding a socket big enough to get on it, but it took no effort with a breaker bar to get it loose.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No, ffs, enduro riders have been using condom type catheters for a long time now. It's not one you insert.

I mean I don't know about your acquaintance, but non-medical catheters are a pretty common thing for sports like distance sea kayaking, hang gliding/parasailing, flying, etc where you can't just stop for a minute and take a leak in the bushes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Now I'm just thinking about the "when I cath" cowboy from Last Week Tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There was a real brief clip in a Dakar interview a year or two back where the interviewer saw the catheter poking out next to the rider's boot and reached down and flipped it around with his finger and says something like "Your water tube slipped, huh?" and the rider doesn't acknowledge it at all.