Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't oil the chain nearly enough on my last bike, to the extent that it was spitting out shards of o-ring and was so solidly kinked I could feel it kick through the footpegs every time it went round the front sprocket.

I fixed this by riding harder until it loosened up/I got used to it.

I proceeded to stall on fitting a new chain for almost a year after I identified these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Clips vs. rivets is the new "what oil is best" imo

I've just discovered screw type master links are a thing that exist, and I can't decide if they're genius or :stonkhat:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Went to change the front sprocket just now and found the sprocket nut loose. Not finger tight, just rolling free. Thank god for lock washers... :stonklol:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think I'll do more than one flap this time, yeah

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
PO actually did two!

I was PO this time, as the last sprocket change was done by me (I did use the lock washer though)

e/ I did two flaps this time, just in case.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 5, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

The flap did it's job perfectly, bending over two won't make it somehow twice as locky. I've seen loads of bikes that rode fine where the sprocket was held on by the lock washer alone. The issue is you didn't tighten the nut enough in the first place, it should never come loose lock washer or not.

Wrench was set to 128Nm, struggled to make it click (though it did) even giving it everything I had with both arms. Don't really know how much harder I can tighten it!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Horse Clocks posted:

trip meter reverse

Why is this even a feature???

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

Designed by the same engineer who decided a meter that counts UP from when you hit reserve is a good idea, vs counting DOWN towards an empty tank.

Don't they design reserve tanks to always have about 50 miles in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gf's JS125 is definitely missing the cush drive (or at best has a very worn one) because I can rock the wheel back and forth quite a bit without the chain moving at all. I'm the PO because I can't be arsed fixing it, though neither of us is riding it hard enough to make much difference.

Unrelated, I'm a double PO because I really half arsed cleaning my brake pots when I replaced the pads a couple weeks ago and now they're seizing again.