Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
put a lil' weld on the countershaft sprocket to the countershaft nut cause I didn't know about the hosed up splines when I bought the 950. got tired of babysitting the sprocket every few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Galaxy brain: tack weld the nut to the sprocket

You rang?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sprocket change = transmission replacement. This checks out :hmmyes:

Sprocket change cases getting split
it's a ktm thing you shouldn't understand
I can't haiku for poo poo

(PO sold the fucker to me with mostly stripped out countershaft splines without disclosing the fact. It's a *lot* more welded than that now. I don't intend to change that sprocket until it is good and hosed. By that point the bike should be at 100k-mi and I'll decide on splitting cases, fixing that and a half dozen other ktm-isms or throwing another engine with all the technical updates at it.)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Manufacturers CAN make a bigger tank, and choose not to. There is always a tiny fuel pod surrounded by fake plastic bodywork that could contain at least 2 more gallons.

Then old fuds will bitch about the fat gut of a tank hanging out everywhere like its their own!

a klr with a 10 gal tank is a force to be reckoned with. Shame its a klr.
Some of the idiots manage to get nearly 15 gallons onto the 950/990 adv. Asinine.

The fzr400 I owned had a big plastic fairing that went over the metal tank. The whole thing could have been molded in PA6 or the like increasing fuel capacity by a good gallon or two.

I've never really ran outta fuel unless it was my own fault by not paying attention or doing it on purpose (woo rotopax).
I've come close several times.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore iron butt dude. Like “has strong opinions on different brands of catheters” hardcore.

He rigged a rear tank on the rack of his concours 14 that fed into his main tank. He could turn the flow on and off to essentially refill the main tank while riding. Fighter jet style.

He claims with his catheter in and a camelback loaded up he could go 600 miles at a time. No idea how accurate that is but :wtc:

And how much meth is this fucker on? After like 125mi I'm hurting for an exit to stretch for 5mins. Still put 750mi/day with stopping for breaks. Again, why? Camelbak is good for dirt biking. External cats are good for cooking the clock(See dakar) and or endurance training. Totally not needed for any ride, much less iron butt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

I can’t imagine it being the internal style cath while bouncing around on the saddle of a drat motorcycle.

nevermind a crash. loving ouch.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

No, ffs, enduro riders have been using condom type catheters for a long time now. It's not one you insert.

I mean I don't know about your acquaintance, but non-medical catheters are a pretty common thing for sports like distance sea kayaking, hang gliding/parasailing, flying, etc where you can't just stop for a minute and take a leak in the bushes.

Precisely. To use an insertable medical device would be insane. Though it would seem on brand for this person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

“A biker finds a motorcycle at an old mechanic shop that has a hole in the seat so you can poo poo through it while riding. He has to keep it a secret because all the guys in his iron butt club would want to poo poo through it”

You know some truckers that run teams cut a hole in the floor so they can poo poo while they roll, right?

It's usually too damned close to the driveline, or the rear catwalk that's also over the driveline.