Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Here's a fun story of ignorance, denial, and lucky riding:

At 500 miles into a 2,300 mile trip, I noticed my chain was red. I'd just passed through a slushy New Mexico so I figured it was local dirt and overnight rust. Lubed the chain like normal and kept going.

At 1,000 miles, I did a short bit w/o earplugs and noticed a chain-skipping noise when engine braking. Uh oh. I took a look and the chain was just sloppy loose. Since I'd checked and it was fine 500 miles ago somehow I convinced myself that the axle had slipped (but couldn't explain why this was possible w/ the locknuts intact). I bought a breaker bar, let the axle back out, and tightened the heck out of it.

300 miles later it was loose again. Suddenly the red rust and the loose chain all made sense, this thing was dying on me with 1,000 miles remaining. I let the axle back out some more and started lubing it every fuel stop. I figured I'd just see how far I could get. I got all the way up to Vail CO and had to leave it rusting parked for a few days while a storm passed. Came back days later w/ tools and a backup chain and gingerly got it home without problems.

Today I took it off and got to see the carnage.

the links should bend, right?

every other tooth chipped on the rear sprocket.

every o-ring is cracking

Most of the rust is from sitting in storms for half a week while covered in salt, it wasn't quite this bad during the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Wait, how are you not getting a good look at the cush rubbers every time you take the wheels in for new tires?

(I’m guessing the hawk isn’t built like I’m used to, in one of those pics it looks like the sprocket assembly is outside the swingarm?)

Edit: before you ask I can confirm that every chain driven bike I’ve owned had some variant on the same “angle bracket iron”-looking straight box swingarm ends.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 8, 2021

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Ah, the first time I took wheels in (for my 250) the tech looked at me like I was an idiot and handed me my sprocket and cush rubbers back.

Every chain-driven bike I've had the sprocket is pretty loose and free-floating once the clamp pressure of the axle bolt is gone.