Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Some enormous dickhead used an airtool or something to tighten the drain bolt on my honda cub clone... I went to do an oil change about a week ago and it required a tremendous amount of force to get it to turn... and then instead of getting easier it was hard to turn for several rotations, uh oh. I had crossed the threads and had to use a screw driver to pry the bolt away from the engine...

So I got a helicoil and cut some new threads. Toward the end, i felt it grinding on something as it bottomed out... weird. Then I go to change the oil screen (it doesn't have a filter, just a mesh screen)... I look at the instructions, oh its right over the bolt, uh oh.

The thread cutter had bottomed out on the screen and tore a small hole in it. I wouldn't have been worried except I had just created a ton of metal shavings right into bottom of the engine. I had coated the thread cutter and hole in grease so at least most of it was sticking together and easy to scoop out, but still...

I poured a couple of liters of oil in to let it flush out the shavings, and sprayed in pb blaster around to try and knock out any shavings hiding in a corner.

I couldn't find a replacement screen online (the sym symba has been discontinued), so I just used some of my wife's crafting wire to kinda sew the hole shut... Re-installed it and it seems to be running fine.

The better solution would have been to leave the siezed bolt in place and just drain the oil by removing the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU