Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

This is so idiotic I'm almost too embarrassed to post. New (old) bike, new torque wrench, first oil change. Not my first time doing an oil change. Pulled out the old oil filter, made sure not to lose the stupid spring, checked the o-ring, wiped everything down, popped the new one in. Checked the torque specs, set my wrench, double checked the specs, went to town. Seemed like I was putting a lot of force on these little bolts but what do I know. Suddenly, no resistance. That's funny, never had a torque wrench that worked like that before. Bolt head felt secure to my fingers, so I moved to the other bolt. Tighten, tighten, no resistance. Job well done, I thought.

Grab the drain bolts to put those back in, check the manual for their torque specs. Realized I was off by two orders of magnitude on the filter cover bolts :cripes:

Only one bolt broke. The other had just twisted into a thin ribbon. Incredibly, I was able to gently back the twist one out and the one that broke broke high enough up that I could get it out. Dodged a massively stupid bullet there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Right I get it, you didn't want to waste money stripping one or two bolts many years ago, as a result are now completely tone-deaf as to how tight anything is, and spending more money fixing something you could've prevented using judgement.

No sympathy :colbert:

I’m glad you’re here

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

You've made me paranoid to do my own first oil change that I was planning to do now...

You’ll be fine, it’s really an easy operation. YouTube videos can be good tutorials, even if you can’t find one for your bike. And don’t buy a three foot long torque wrench like the first one I got when I was 16. I don’t think there’s a bolt on any bike I’ve owned that needed that much torque. Only thing I still haven’t mastered is getting the drip pan in the right place. Honestly Slavvy’s advice is the wisest; if I’d trusted my “huh that’s kind of weird” sense I would have saved myself all this trouble.