Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Needed new chain and sprockets, the chain was so shagged out from being left out in the rain and not oiled it was at the same time loose and all kinked up. Waited until the last minute and the store only had a chain and no sprockets(in the size/pattern i needed), I was going on a 4 day ride the next day, bought the cheapest non-oring chain I could get away with and installed it on the old sprockets. After about 1900 miles in 4 days, that chain was showing signs of being "not right". Loose in some spots where I was seeing about 3 inches of slack, roll the wheel a bit and the chain was taught like a bow string, it had stretched in a comically uneven manner. Thoroughly chastised by the group I was riding with, I bought a new chain and sprocket set when I got home ad started to pay attention to it's regular care. Now depending on the chain/bike I get 15K miles out of them, I got about 25Kmiles on one chain on the Bandit.

When I've bee in a hurry or done roadside repairs, I've been guilty of a western union splice or bent pigtail, then just wrapping it in a ton of electrical tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Rode my Ducati an hour to get it home with no rear axle nut. Had to stop 5 or 6 times to kick the axle back in cause it was sliding out.

Always carry spare vise-grips?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Martytoof posted:

e: Also you could fit so much fuel in the tires.

Rokon did that:
Floatation – Hollow drum wheels can provide floatation or space for up to 2.5 gallons of extra fuel or water.

https://rokon.com/product/trail-breaker/

though at a top speed of "not much"