Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
By the time I had collected the whatever brain and got back it was gone. But I flew to the space station, warped away, warped back, flew to the crash site again and it was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I ended up destroying sentinels til it showed me the location of another one, they die in two or three shots of the Atlas staff

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Hmm, there's a couple threads on the Steam forum loudly complaining that ending the expedition at the Anomaly terminal forces you back onto your main save immediately. I suppose that's the expected behavior, but since I'm in the minority that actually wouldn't mind if my expedition save permanently overwrote my old save, I guess I will ride out the time limit on the expedition without officially ending it and report back here as to what happens.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

istewart posted:

Hmm, there's a couple threads on the Steam forum loudly complaining that ending the expedition at the Anomaly terminal forces you back onto your main save immediately. I suppose that's the expected behavior, but since I'm in the minority that actually wouldn't mind if my expedition save permanently overwrote my old save, I guess I will ride out the time limit on the expedition without officially ending it and report back here as to what happens.

I finished everything, except for like one optional objective, and I went to the Anomaly. I went into the interface for expeditions, and it didn't force me to end it but when I chose to end it, the popups did warn me that it would finish off this iteration of the expedition. I don't remember the wording but it was very clearly a "point of no return" moment, with a yes/no confirmation.

I believe you can start it over, too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Last research thing is done!

Theres a bug where when you claim the last optional objective reward you get stuck after accepting the dialogue box. With the cursor but nothing to select. Workaround is to claim it somewhere dangerous so you die after being stuck for a while. I managed to drown myself and was free to move around as normal after respawning.

Theres apparently a fix for this in the experimental build, so you could just wait for that instead.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Generally a pretty good expo. I wish I had waited to bring my ship and multi-tool over until after the liquid explosive part because there's so many free nanites after that and I wouldn't have had to spend an hour trying to find a fucvking underground bird on a black and white planet to get enough to afford to buy the recipes, and honestly the ship they start you with is perfectly fine for the first three phases, especially since I forgot to fix my main ship before getting there and had a broken pulse engine modifier that made my ship very slow in space, and whatever they have done to make flying on planets better in new ships doesn't work in old ships. But after that it was really nice to have the old bird. It's been years since I used it for anything significant and just being able to make all the warps in one leap and having all the scanners and scan deflectors and poo poo really made the second half nice. Also weirdly enough even though my main save multitool has a much lower DPS than the staff for whatever reason it still destroys sentinels faster.

I could have done without the nautilus part and don't know why every expedition needs this but at least they gave you the nautilus this time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think the goal is for new players to have a nautilus introduction that isn't the entirety of lost at sea, which is fair

It's the only exocraft where the only fuel option is crafted and it's weird fuel to boot, I'm pretty sure I got hosed over on my main save back in the day doing lost at sea by somehow ending up with the nautilus but not able to craft the fuel so I was sitting at the bottom of the sea waiting for solar recharging, it was pretty memorably goofy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think the goal is for new players to have a nautilus introduction that isn't the entirety of lost at sea, which is fair

It's the only exocraft where the only fuel option is crafted and it's weird fuel to boot, I'm pretty sure I got hosed over on my main save back in the day doing lost at sea by somehow ending up with the nautilus but not able to craft the fuel so I was sitting at the bottom of the sea waiting for solar recharging, it was pretty memorably goofy

This does make sense, they did go free to play with this one so probably have a big influx of new players.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A quick shot of my current base, still under construction. I put each and every solar panel on the top of a tower, and I'm going to be decorating the whole thing very soon. I'm trying to make it seem realistic for in-universe, at least. There's going to even be a cafeteria.

I love base building.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 27, 2024

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

I don't remember the fuel being an issue, but I do remember the misery of that loving mission, trundling along through miles of ocean at like 13u/s (even after cheesing it and flying in my starship to the closest sliver of land to each objective that I could find) and not even being able to look around at the scenery to alleviate some of the boredom because of the terrible way the exocraft controls work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dennyk posted:

I don't remember the fuel being an issue, but I do remember the misery of that loving mission, trundling along through miles of ocean at like 13u/s (even after cheesing it and flying in my starship to the closest sliver of land to each objective that I could find) and not even being able to look around at the scenery to alleviate some of the boredom because of the terrible way the exocraft controls work.

I can deal with most of them, but the nautilus is just stupid to use. It feels SO awful, not just from the perspective of having played a lot of Subnautica, but just in general.

All exocraft controls should mimic starship controls as much as possible. And yet... :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All exocraft controls should mimic starship controls as much as possible. And yet... :shrug:

its the sort of thing where it feels like each vehicle was made by a different team and they werent talking to each other. which is weird because thats the kind of poo poo you expect from one of those massive globe-spanning companies like ubisoft, i thought hello was pretty small.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How much time is left to do the expedition?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How much time is left to do the expedition?

3 weeks

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Finished both the expeditions I had running, got over 12k quicksilver out of doing it twice. Bought two of the Anomaly NPC masks with my non-main save connected expedition cos why not!

Kinda wild how much stuff you can bring back to your main save too, plus all the things that give you units and nanites, 16 million units and especially like 14k nanites is nothing to sneeze at. Aside from the community stuff it was a decent enough expedition.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I spend so much time with so much ferrite all over the place and my god, does that practically disappear immediately when you start building a serious base.

Anyone have good tricks to get a loving poo poo load of it (or dust, magnetized, whatever)? I'm maybe 40% done my base and I'm constantly running low.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I spend so much time with so much ferrite all over the place and my god, does that practically disappear immediately when you start building a serious base.

Anyone have good tricks to get a loving poo poo load of it (or dust, magnetized, whatever)? I'm maybe 40% done my base and I'm constantly running low.

Find a vein and mine it

e: with the survey scanner not one you mind on the surface

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 28, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Put a shotgun on your ship, find a planet with a lot of rocks (airless lifeless ones tend to be best), shoot the ground

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s that or going out of yr way to mine and refine rusted metal.

Also I don’t think it’s worth the time or oxygen expenditure, but you can also forge ferrite dust and oxygen together to make rusted metal from scratch, then break it down for a multiplicative conversion back to dust.

Also at all but the highest “economic” difficulty, merchants will usually sell a lot.

If you’d rather build your own, weirder constructions, wood structures use carbon instead of ferrite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also I don’t think it’s worth the time or oxygen expenditure, but you can also forge ferrite dust and oxygen together to make rusted metal from scratch, then break it down for a multiplicative conversion back to dust.

Also at all but the highest “economic” difficulty, merchants will usually sell a lot.

If you’d rather build your own, weirder constructions, wood structures use carbon instead of ferrite.

Yeah, I'm not going with the wood, or any of that panelling. It's strictly prefabs and cube/glass rooms, as shown off here:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had the same problem at one time and I decided to put my base on hold and do other stuff like warp around and look for interesting planets and do specific missions to grind out rep and whenever I was on a space station I checked if they sold ferrite dust and just bought the lot.

Other than that just shooting down at the planet from your ship is a decent alternative. It's too bad the game is so adamant about re-orienting your ship though so you have to constantly aim down.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For base building I just refine dioxite from my giant dioxite mine. In theory there is unlimited ferrite dust on every planet but the loop of

collect mine output ->make dust-> make pure if I need it -> build until I am out -> collect mine output

leads to fewer distractions that come from actually just getting the ferrite from rocks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rick posted:

For base building I just refine dioxite from my giant dioxite mine. In theory there is unlimited ferrite dust on every planet but the loop of

collect mine output ->make dust-> make pure if I need it -> build until I am out -> collect mine output

leads to fewer distractions that come from actually just getting the ferrite from rocks.

Thank you, I'll try that.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've accumulated a pretty huge amount of magnetised ferrite from frigate expeditions. The industrial and balanced ones often return it in quantities of 500. Probably not suitable for your immediate needs, but keeping those running daily really brings in a lot of various resources.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

My workaround for that is to just go to a rusted metal planet and find a resource and drop some extractors and storage containers on it.

Ferrite for DAYS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I got into this game almost 3 years ago now, and I absolutely loved it, played it every second I could. My interest eventually kind of waned as time went on, and there was a long period of time when I never felt like playing it.

Recently, though, I've gotten back into it. This happens with every game I play and enjoy. Two or three weeks, on average, of just completely barreling through it, or at least playing it as much as possible and then it dropping off almost to zero interest (but still appreciating it and recommending it to others) and then my interest kind of stabilizes and I'm somewhere in between, though closer to loving it rather than barely wanting to play it.

I say all this because I missed out on a LOT of expeditions. The only two I ever finished were the Omega one just recently, and the Utopia one. I know they re-ran a bunch of them just this past holiday, but how likely is it that I'll get another chance to play through them all?

I realize that, outside of the very special ships (the Omega and Utopia ones), I'm really just interested in the posters and decals. I want them all. I'll tune into a twitch stream when drops are enabled, but thankfully, the decals are the quickest ones to unlock. I don't need an S class whatever, since I can either upgrade what I find, or literally look online to get them myself. Too bad you can't do that for the posters.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Finally decided to complete the survival milestone today and with that got the Platinum trophy! Got the first trophy for the game almost seven years ago. :haw:

Then went to "complete" permadeath and got the two trophies with that too (reach the center of the galaxy in both survival and permadeath mode) the latter of which is rarer than the Plat is somehow (0.5% vs 2.3%)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Put a shotgun on your ship, find a planet with a lot of rocks (airless lifeless ones tend to be best), shoot the ground

This is the easiest way by far. A few minutes of flying around a rocky planet with pretty much any ship weapon and you'll have more ferrite dust than you'll know what to do with.

As someone who always builds in stone/concrete, I wish there was a quicker way to get silicate powder than spending ages tunneling through the planetary crust.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

dennyk posted:

As someone who always builds in stone/concrete, I wish there was a quicker way to get silicate powder than spending ages tunneling through the planetary crust.

The trick is to go to the base of a hill, switch to Flatten mode, and just sweep back and forth like a scythe into the hillside. Each "shot" takes out the entire column of earth above it in one go, no matter how high, crediting you for the total volume. It's way faster than playing ant farm.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

MikeyTsi posted:

I'm annoyed that it doesn't actually hover.

It actually does when you land, it dosent have landing gear instead it has this cool plasma lightning field underneath.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Do only the sentinel ships let you hover on planets? Seems so much better for taking out sentinels pkanetside by just sitting in the interceptor and pinging them safely. Also nicer for ignoring stupid storms while mining or looking for sites.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Stare-Out posted:

Finished both the expeditions I had running, got over 12k quicksilver out of doing it twice. Bought two of the Anomaly NPC masks with my non-main save connected expedition cos why not!

Kinda wild how much stuff you can bring back to your main save too, plus all the things that give you units and nanites, 16 million units and especially like 14k nanites is nothing to sneeze at. Aside from the community stuff it was a decent enough expedition.

These are last 48 hours of the expedition 12 and I followed some vid guide that said use a creative as a save. I kind of wished now I used my main save to get the 10K quicksilver/ and 17K in nanites back. Well, now I know. Bringing back expansion/upgrade modules was nice but it is all on my creative save. Also it took me longer than it should at like 5-6 hours.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Reporting back, I logged into my main-save-turned-expedition-save the other night after the expedition ended, and I was still technically on the expedition, with the prompt to return to the Nexus and go back to the terminal to send stuff back to my main save. So it looks like I can just keep going with this one if I really want to, albeit with a semi-permanent nag prompt to close things out. No idea what would happen if I hadn't finished all expedition objectives.

The main reason I want to stick with it is because I substantially upgraded my exotic that I carried over from the main save during the expedition. Not sure if those upgrades carry back to the main save... and I guess I can only send one ship back, which precludes keeping my A-class sentinel fighter from the expedition quest line. I also have a totally sweet S-class pirate freighter that's a big upgrade over my C-class freighter in the main save, but I guess grinding pirate freighter encounters out again wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. This was a nice option, but I think in the future, I will stick with doing separate expedition saves.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You can send back as many ships as you want as long as you don't "finish" the expedition; the option for which ship/multitool to send back will just be "the current active one". I copied like 2 multitools and 3 ships back to my main save from the expedition.

I assume it's checking ship seeds when it's determining whether you "already have" a ship on one save or the other, which may mean scrapping a ship in one save will let you re-acquire it again, but that's not something I played with during the expedition and obviously can't check anymore.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And off we go

https://x.com/NoMansSky/status/1772008615747936572

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is this the space stations update?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy christ, Sean... I can only take so much...

I am so excited already. Here's hoping it's the space station update.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Friends, this looks to be IT

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:dance: Finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Friends, this looks to be IT

:sickos:

CUSTOM SPACESHIPS
FINALLY