Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
This patch, regardless of contents, is not going to change the game into something fundamentally different. So if that was your experience at release you're probably still not going to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
1.0 very much could handle that. Sure, it was a fairly shallow repetitive experience, but I suspect it still will be, there will just be slightly more side quests and you'll be able to bring a few buddies.

It still won't live up to the initial hype, of course, because it would be impossible for a game to do so.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Wooow this is unplayably sluggish, I think I'm getting 15fps max with everything down to as low as it will go.

I'd wait for the patch to drop before you refund, it might improve things. Probably not but you never know.

e:vv yep, restarted Steam and it's downloading now

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm surprised at the number of tweaks - I loaded up an existing save and half my upgrades were replaced by "obsolete technology" and all the elements seem to have changed name - not sure if they're used the same as their replacements but for example the little yellow zinc plants are now sodium rich plants. The warp cell recipe is slightly different as well. Everything looks noticably better too. Not drastically, but just everything seems a bit cleaner. Liking the new terrain generation as well, seems much more varied just on the one planet I've landed on so far. While I was landing I saw a massive sinkhole with a lake at the bottom.

Seems pretty good so far.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Well, my base no longer exists :(

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

660ti, intel i5.

Old certainly but I've never yet run into a game that ran this poorly except for the new doom, and that's a really nice looking game.

Yeah, your graphics card is probably not up to it. This game is one of a very few that stresses my PC (6700k, 1080ti, ultra settings @ 1440). You might be able to make it playable by turning down a load of settings.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Trastion posted:

Has anyone that continued a save from before been able to do the freighter tutorial and get the free ship? This will probably be the biggest factor in me playing a new save or not.

I might be missing something, or it might be tied to my base that vanished and I haven't rebuilt yet, but I have no starter missions in my log so it seems I can't get it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Powershift posted:

What else should i add?

You should add what this guy said about sentinels because it seems quite a few people are confused by their behaviour

Retro42 posted:

Everyone is aware of the little sentinel icon thing in the lower right corner right? If it shows up at all it means a sentinel can see you and might not like what your doing. If the icon isn't there you can burn the world down without them caring. The only exceptions is certain items (Gravitino Balls/etc) will trigger an alert no matter what.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

That is exactly what I said - you have to go and hide. The space ones are the ones you can't hide from so don't leave atmosphere before clearing yourself. But the point is hiding is your only option - you should be able to fight your way out too if you want. And still, passive sentinels should not behave completely identical to normal sentinels. That's the issue.

I think you're reading a bit too much into the word "passive". The wiki says:

quote:

Passive
Does not engage player regardless of any actions player done to the planet Sentinels reside on.
May become active if you continue mining near its presence or when it starts scanning.

That seems to match my experience.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

"Limited" however will still attack you for mining even though wiki says it won't. Since I've never shot an animal, the sentinels all seem to behave the same for me no matter what level, outside of the ones that attack you on sight.

I'm pretty sure all sentinels attack if you attack them or continue mining while they scan you. I'm not saying the wiki is 100% accurate, and it's certainly not clearly worded, just that the description of active vs passive seemed to match what I see in game.

It feels to me like there is a scale of aggression with passive at one end and frenzied at the other, but that's probably wrong too.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I don't know how far you are through the various quests, but they do explicitly state why the sentinels act like they do, though not why some are passive/active.

Also, there does seem to be a bug - you used to be able to kill them before they called for help. I remember there being a visible indicator of their progress, so you could kill them instead of running away, but that's not possible anymore as far as I can tell. The game still gives you a tooltip telling you that's an option though. Also I'm pretty sure just killing everything in your vicinity would give you enough space that they'd often lose you. Now it seems you get a reinforcement timer as soon as you kill everything.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

limaCAT posted:

I had luck entering the facility by digging a cave and using it to shoot the goddamn door.

I just blow up the door with my ship, then fly in circles until the sentinels get bored.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Gonna do a detailed write-up on sentinels since they're a minor irritant to me but seem to be wrecking some goons:

Sentinels are largely either aggressive, which means they'll attack on sight, or passive, which means they'll only attack if they detect you doing something they don't like. As far as I can tell there is also significant variance within those two categories that govern how aggressively they seek you out or scan you but that doesn't change their core behaviour as far as I can tell.

Sentinels do not like you harvesting resources or killing creatures. In fact, the whole reason they exist is pretty much to prevent that from happening. Passive sentinels generally don't notice you harvesting unless they're scanning you, but there does seem to be some variance here - some will run at you and start scanning if you harvest a thing, others seem to just randomly scan you if you're nearby while they're idling. Sentinels will generally run to the thing being harvested, which you can exploit by standing a very long way away from what you are harvesting. For some reason, they do not seem to care about resource harvesting using the terrain manipulator, but I suspect this is a bug.

You can tell a sentinel is near by an icon at the bottom right if the screen and a white directional indicator. The directional indicator turning blue means you are being scanned. If you continue to harvest while being scanned, they will go aggressive, turning the indicator red. I have found if the indicator turns blue, that is your prompt to run the gently caress away. Assuming you do so quickly enough (melee jetpack boosting seems to guarantee this if you do it immediately) they will lose interest and return to passive mode.

When sentinels are attacking you (gta style wanted indicator at top right has one or more bars) you need to run away or hide. You used to be able to quickly kill everything near you but that was broken or removed by the latest patch. Tool tips still tell you this works but as far as I can tell they are wrong. There are several strategies to run away - hide in a building, find a hole, dig a hole. My favourite is to jump in my ship and STAY IN THE ATMOSPHERE. If you leave the atmosphere your wanted level will not decrease and Sentinel ships will hunt you forever. This is probably a bug. If you do get the attention of sentinel ships, dock at a planet, station or ship, hop out your ship to save, then reload.

Occasionally I have seen another thing that I think is a bug where despite being out of sight your wanted level does not decrease. I have been able to fix this by hopping in and out of my ship until the timer appears.

Beyond this, there are several actions that immediately give you a wanted level, mainly picking up certain rare things (like gravatino balls) or shooting a reinforced door. The former can be trivialised by running away or hiding, the latter by hopping in your ship and shooting the door with its weapons then circling until they lose you. Planet-based sentinels can't keep up with an unmodified exosuit provided you're moving effectively.

Generally, sentinels are a non-issue provided you remain aware of your surroundings and don't do dumb poo poo like harvesting right next to one or standing around fiddling in your inventory on top of the corpse of a creature you just killed.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Davoren posted:

Not sure how some are having problems with the passive ones, they're pretty easy to predict.

Some people are staggeringly unobservant, they just can't connect cause and effect. Particularly goons, in my experience playing video games with them. This game obscures a lot of its mechanics, intentionally or not, which doesn't help. Then there's the bugs.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Macaluso posted:

The only way I can get borderless full screen to work is if I maximize my steam window and sit there until the game is fully loaded in. I can't just like tab out to do something else while the game loads up. Otherwise it switches back to windowed. Why is this the case?

It's actually worse than that - a few seconds after starting the game it maximises and removes the border from your currently active window. Which works fine if you just sit there and wait for it to load, but if you, say, select your browser it will maximise it then remove the border so you can't resize it! As soon as the game window appears you're fine to select something else though. I doubt maximising your steam window is having any effect.

It's just a naive programming oversight.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Apparently you're supposed to get a landing platform blueprint from the base building questline, but it's bugged and gives you a starship module instead?

Worked fine for me last night on PC

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

bgreman posted:

My ship refuses to ever spawn on the landing pad when I teleport back to base, so I'm not sure if this is working as intended. It definitely used to when I was playing last summer.

Yeah, my ship spawns on top of a large column I built my base next to rather than the unobstructed landing pad a few feet away.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

How does the GOG edition of the game handle VR? Does it have to hook into Steam or Oculus Home or does it do something else? Thinking of rebuying the game on GOG just so I have a copy untethered from Steam.

The steam version requires SteamVR (unlike some titles which will use the Oculus runtime directly, even if they are launched from Steam) so I expect that's also a requirement of the GOG version.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I need to dig out my Oculus, dust it off, reinstall it, and get it configured for my new desktop space. The thought of doing all that labor makes me exhausted.

Any thoughts on best recharging solution for Oculus Touch? I can get a 4xAA and Energezier recharger for under $20 on amazon, but Googling is telling me that some brand called Eneloop is best for NiMH battery solutions.

Edit: How do the touch controls feel in-flight? Is it worth digging out my T160000000000000000000.00000000M HOTAS for flight and then using my Oculus Touch for on-foot shenanigans?

I only played for 30m or so on a new save, so can't comment on the flight controls. I expect it's still as floaty as ever so the HOTAS probably won't be much good if you can even get it configured properly. The game is forward-facing only, not roomscale, so it'll be pretty easy to get set up for that.

I just use non-rechargable batteries, which last forever in the touch, but I've also heard good things about Eneloop and bought a set. I've just not had to replace the non-rechargables since I bought them so haven't actually tried them yet. You might get better answers in the VR thread.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's in the options somewhere, it didn't take me long to find. Also, you'll always have to turn with the right stick, but you can change that to smooth instead of the default that turns in 30 degree-ish steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

It's very rare that I manage to pull off a landing that doesn't involve yanking the throttle back to zero and hovering for a bit before finding the right combination of altitude, speed, and position that makes the landing command stick. I'm pretty sure the VR UI is failing to display the reason the landing didn't happen so it just makes the button feel really unreliable.

Nah, there's just very little feedback, this happens in flatscreen mode as well. The worst is when it somehow spots a landing spot a distance away and slooooooooowly hovers over there, before landing loving miles away from the thing you wanted to land near. I have not yet found a way to cancel this process. I get best results by, as you say, just slowing down above an obviously clear, flat bit of land before hitting the button.