Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My impression is you get a free "starter" freighter, and if you see a cooler one later then you have to buy it the old fashioned way. I dunno if the prices have dropped at all, or if you're meant to be making money hand over fist from frigate missions instead? But that's my understanding of the new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah the old New Game had you like wake up in the crater that your ship crash landed in. Sounds like in NEXT you've been flung from the cockpit? :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OwlFancier posted:

660ti, intel i5.

Old certainly but I've never yet run into a game that ran this poorly except for the new doom, and that's a really nice looking game. I'm supposedly well above the minimum requirements so gently caress only knows what they run like.

those minimum specs probably haven't been updated since 2016, and even then they were probably too generous. I dunno what to tell you besides I couldn't even run borderlands 2 on my old 660 without compromising either framerate or resolution.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I already have a really poor opinion of the star system I started in :v:

Initial planet was a fiery hell world where I died initially trying to find sodium, but it luckily spawned me close to my corpse after.
Base building tutorial planet was nice until my computer was like "Incoming Super Heated Rain Storm"

This star is getting a bad Yelp review when I get back on tonight.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John F Bennett posted:

I just found some seeds under the ground near a ruin worth 9 million units :o

I first had to dig up 3 keys, which open a 'large artifact' that held the seeds.

To be fair about all this, the last couple of spaceships I checked out in station docking bays were like 9 million units after trade-in.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I renamed my starter planet "Heated Coffin" :v:

I was also so unimpressed by the weather on my second world that I dismantled my tutorial base on my way out so I wouldn't have to revisit or waste space with my land claim.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My game still crashes to desktop with 100% reliability if I approach the slime-coated terminal in an abandoned building from the front and look at it for more than a couple seconds. It's wild, and affects seemingly nobody besides me.

So far I have:
deleted the shaders
verified the game files
uninstall/reinstall
jiggled various graphical settings including: ambient occlusion, shadow and reflection quality, target framerate, windowed/fullscreen
updated my nvidia drivers

Also, as far as I can tell it doesn't leave a crash log :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I might have finally figured out my mystery crash. NMS doesn't leave crash logs, but it does leave system events. I found the consistent pattern of corresponding individual events, and it looks like something about looking at Abandoned Building terminals from the front causes a TDR timeout when it takes my video card longer than 2 seconds to render the scene. I'm gonna try adjusting the registry value for that and hopefully I won't crash next time I find an abandoned building.

But :laffo:, that's still gonna beg the question of "what is it about slime-coated terminals that causes the mother of all hangups in my PC build"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Had a different crash to desktop last night while trying to buy a ship, have decided to put the game down for a week or so until I have a CPU that doesn't bottleneck my video card. This one was kernel exception instead of a timeout, so that's progress(?)

It sucks because I do actually really enjoy playing NMS.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm still trying to find a planet/spot worthy of being my main base. I either want beachfront, mountainside, or next to a portal, and so far I haven't found anything that lives up to my probably too harsh standards. I should really just start building in my freighter.

Speaking of building in the freighter, does your freighter base transfer over to the new one when you buy a freighter, or do you have to like dismantle everything first?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

chaosapiant posted:

Has anyone ever bothered to really explore a planet you land on? Like walk/ride out for miles from a base or landing zone? I typically land on a planet and go "ok, so this is the planet, I've seen it," scoop materials and then move on hoping for that pristine tropical world with purple sunsets on my next trip. This game simultaneously has amazing planet variety, and no variety at all. It's weird. I like it, but it's weird.

I have before, for planets where I like the aesthetic combination. It can be fun, sometimes, but it's rare to find a planet that interesting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Lord help me, I'm gonna start another new game of NMS after my new video card comes in. I wanna see how it does when I stream it to my Oculus Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Finally got to gently caress around with this in VR. It's neat. I like how detailed and spacious the cockpits are, but the UI meters and stuff on foot are a little too big.