Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Recently I had one of the sentinel support freighters warp in on top of me, trapping me in its geometry unable to warp out or shoot anything. Had to reload from my last save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Finished up this expedition, my first. Pretty neat, although I was helped by the refinery on my freighter making GBS threads out as much Chlorine and Oxygen as I wanted.

One question, though - are Dream Aerials just borked on some saves? I found one on like my third frigate mission on the expedition save, but my main save hasn't seen one after a few days of running missions nonstop.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

If you've got cash lying around, traveling between pirate stations and buying all the suspicious technology and weapons packets from the outlaw vendor is a pretty simple source of nanites too - probably one of the most straightforward "convert units directly to nanites" things you can do, really.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Huh, the update has caused one of my bases to just... disappear. (Not that I use bases much since the freighter overhaul, so I can wait for the patch fix / write it off if I have to.)

A fun expedition, although I too just duped the gently caress out of it.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Actually disappear, or migrate underground?

All of my portal-adjacent bases got transplated like 100 feet straight down lol

Hard to say, although I'll try digging. One time and one time only I warped in and the base was there for an instant and then phased out. It is near a portal, though, although my other two portal bases are fine. :iiam:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

My portal base came back too, which is nice.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

5er posted:

I blew tens of thousands of nanites to upgrade to S on mine. Earning the nanites goes faster than gambling on the 2% (I think) odds of spawning an S.
Same. When you're near credit cap and have a whole machinery in place to churn out stacks of stasis devices, the couple hundred million units you need to warp between outlaw bases, buy up all their suspicious weapons and tech, and flip the contents for nanites is easy to recoup, and getting 75k or so really doesn't take all that long. I found my interceptor at C and had it at S within a couple of play sessions.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Well when you're not near credit cap and don't have a whole machinery in place to churn out stacks of stasis devices, the couple hundred million units you need to warp between outlaw bases, buy up all their suspicious weapons and tech, and flip the contents for nanites is not so easy to recoup, and getting 75k or so takes longer.

Sure, and I apologize if I sounded flippant - but I do think that buying and flipping suspicious arms and tech packets is an efficient way of getting nanites, if you have any meaningful income-generation tools. Heck, even if you don't, salvaging and melting down another interceptor will get you 30 or 40 million units or more, plus a few hundred nanites from the starship components you get from it, and is a pretty fun gameplay loop to boot. And that's enough to buy a couple hundred suspicious tech/arms packets, each of which will net you on average 100-200 nanites from the suspicious module in it.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

At least the wing-entities in your squadron can't (or I think they can't) be permanently killed, so you don't need to feel bad about shooting them when they get in your way.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Yeah, it likes to leave a couple open spaces in your hangar bay for visiting ships, so if you have more than, I think, 7 ships it'll just only spawn up to 7. Or sometimes less, it seems kind of random. But you can switch out your active ship for another just like you can on the anomaly.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

On the ground you can generally dig a hole and hide inside until the search counter dies down - sentinel pathfinding has reportedly improved comparatively recently but if you make it deep and twisty enough you should be able to evade them. Alternatively if you have the rocket boost upgrade you can jet away faster than they can catch up (as long as you don't blunder into another group), again until the timer runs out.

In space, during the window when your boost is working you can summon the anomaly or your freighter and dock to shake them off.

Space fights are what they are, but the "auto-follow" button makes it relatively straightforward.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The new update has definitely provided the game with a real easy income stream, since interceptors are pretty easy to find and salvage, and net you 30-50 million units a pop when you melt them down.

Which, y'know, if it gets players out into the world and is more fun to do than farming mountains of star bulbs to make stasis devices or whatever, I think it's only a good thing.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

Do i have all these archived technology things in my ship inventory because they changed how many you can equip at once? If I try and put them all back in its too many and overloads. Should I just use them in a different ship or sell them?

That's why you'd have them, yes - they don't sell for very much IIRC (like 10 or 15 nanites?), so putting them in another ship or putting them in the bank for when you (inevitably, if you're anything like me) do get another ship is the most efficient use of them. Either that or install them and deconstruct them for raw materials rather than uninstall them into storage.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Yeah, it seems like it's mostly interesting if you're deeply into the lore, especially vis a vis "what's the deal with the crystallized robot dudes / the entity that's always going on about water and glass and poo poo and their relationship with the atlas". Word on the street is that this ongoing story is going to be the focus of the game for the next little bit - Interceptor was part 1, this was part 2.

On the other hand, the robot dude skin reward is nice if you're into that kind of thing.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Is there a mission chain you have to start to unlock Outlaw standing? I seem to be stuck at "unknown" even after stopping in to check at an outlaw station.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

All you really need to do is build 15 components of any kind, so you could just make 15 wood floor panels and get the waypoint. It doesn't need to be a good base.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

I got the no interaction on space stations one too briefly during the expedition - unfortunately, expeditions do sometimes introduce buggy behavior. Getting your ship caught in architecture is also just sort of a thing, you really don't want to get so you're bumping into things when you're flying or you run the danger of clipping through and getting stuck inside something 'til you smash yourself to pieces against its internal architecture. It most often comes up with a capital ship in space combat for me, but I've even clipped through space stations once or twice.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

I don't know about 1, but for 2, adding more ships is just to raise the star rating of the fleet you send. If you beat the mission's star rating by at least 2, there's no chance of damage to the frigates, so that's all you need to shoot for, and since fuel can be a pain to make you want to send the smallest fleet you can. For non-"balanced" missions I'm pretty sure the fleet's rating in the appropriate stat is all that's important though.

IMO the easiest way to farm nanites if you have a bit of cash on hand is to buy "suspicious packet (tech)" and "suspicious packet (arms)" from the vendors on outlaw stations (they're 75,000 units each so you'll want to have at least a million or so in "walking around money" to burn, which isn't that hard to get - salvage a crashed ship or two, or refine a couple stacks of chlorine and you'll be good to go). They open to give you random upgrades, which you can sell for 300-500 nanites a pop. Vendors will only have 5-10 in stock, but if you've visited a few outlaw stations you can just portal between them and buy up their inventory over and over.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this was by far the fastest way for me too, there have been some youtubers advocating doing a lot of sentinel shooting to collect their drops but uh, gently caress that noise lmao
e: not because shooting sentinels is hard, it's just not nearly as fast

Yeah, that seems... really inefficient. The nice thing about the outlaw route is that if you really get bored and want to change up play loops, you can do outlaw missions to earn stuff to sell for cash (just don't do delivery, they suck), which also makes the vendor restock 2 or 3 of each kind of suspicious pack. Mission, buy packs, mission, buy packs, repeat until you get bored and/or have stacks of 20-30 of each type, at which point you'll also have a whole bunch of contraband to sell for a nice chunk in the next non-outlaw system over. And since you'll be getting nanites and upgrades, you should have your ship in a place to make the space combat missions near-trivial pretty quickly.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Rick posted:

I know this one hasn't been super popular, but this is kind of what I wanted out of an expo, lots of warping and cataloging and exploring. I kind of wish they didn't have the 6 exotic creature part though because you could play this game for a year and not see 6 exotic planets, so you basically have to lean on the community to finish it.
Blue, green, and red stars have a much higher chance of having exotic planets than regular ones - red's the most IIRC, and also the easiest to craft a drive to get to.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The scientist also gets a space for me because it's basically free nanites once a day if you remember to scan stuff regularly, plus he just seems like a nice entity. (I was sad that the scientist I recruited on an outlaw station was no longer a "raiding entity" or whatever and reverted to the vanilla Korvax naming/titling scheme, though.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve tried hiding recently, but it doesn’t seem to go away any more??
I think that it goes away if you block of your hideaway tunnel behind you with the terrain manipulator.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

You can also just plop down one of the save point devices, unless they've changed that in the last month or so.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Something I do wish I'd done just for QoL is giving myself one of the dozen or so stacks of stasis devices I have collecting dust in my freighter inventory.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

You'll be able to pick up the Atlas multitool and all the appearance modifications (the mask and the jetpack) at the quicksilver vendor on the anomaly too, along with the ship. Your original ship, the interceptor you picked up, and your freighter you'll lose, but (as I think the expedition was meant to show you) they're pretty easy to replace.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

So the only thing to worry about is any suitably rare materials and powerful upgrades I picked up along the way, got it.
Correct, and you can bring a rather generous number of them back with you.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

When editing your Freighter Base loadout, is there a way to add like a vertical column or vertical hatch? Or is everything confined to a flat grid layout?

There are both ladders and stairways, but you might have to unlock them, I don't remember.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't dupe but I was just hanging out in the Anomaly and someone gave me billions of credits worth of trade good so SOMEONE is.

EDIT: I'm going to spend it all on ships to scrap for parts.

Nah there's literally just a point where you have your infrastructure set up to make stacks and stacks of stasis devices or whatever, and you've hit the credit cap but just keep making them because what else are you going to do with all this infrastructure so you may as well just hand them out to randos on the anomaly rather than let all that work go to waste.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

I'm on my freighter all the time and get a lot of use out of it, but I don't think there's much need to farm for an S-class - I have a B and it's more than enough even though I'm firmly at endgame. Freighter class has no bearing on how big you can build the base, and while it affects the base freighter storage (which is extremely forgiving anyway), that'll be far outstripped by the storage space in your storage rooms. Freighter class will also have an effect on how efficient your frigate missions are and (I think) jump range, but you'll eventually accumulate a bunch of upgrades for those stats from destroying pirate freighters.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

It does that for crafting (as of a comparatively recent patch), but yeah, it'd be nice to have it as a unified UI for base building, refining, and cooking too. Maybe because you can craft instantly without a tool, but can't do the same for refining or cooking, it gets hard to implement.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Does it? AFAIK I still have to create required components separately, and hunt through my inventory to find the stuff. I want the ability to just say "I want to build a solar panel" and for the game to go "okay, you need a metal plate, which you don't have, but I see you have enough ferrite dust to make one" and just auto complete the steps so all I have to do is press "go" and it works through the tree.

There should be an option in the crafting menu called "view craft steps" - you'll get a tree and you can craft all the bits from there. You do have to go up the tree yourself (first click metal plates, then click solar panels), but you can do it from one UI.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Oh interesting, I've never noticed that before. Thanks!

No worries! It was one of those QoL things they snuck in a bit ago. It makes crafting the complex high-end stuff like stasis devices and fusion ignitors a lot more transparent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Inventory is Better Than It Used to Be (TM) at any rate - the patch that included the Switch release increased all inventory capacities massively. But if you haven't noticed, you can get a pretty cheap inventory space upgrade every time you visit a new space station, at the exosuit vendor. Also keep an eye out for missions (in space stations or the anomaly) that offer upgrades, they're not too uncommon. Eventually, getting a freighter and a teleport module will make things a lot easier to manage as well.

I think that early game, you probably want to focus on getting a comfortable stash of "walking around money" (both units and nanites) more than keeping things you might need someday in your inventory. Although some things are easier to find / refine / craft than others, basically nothing that would go in your inventory is irreplacable and if you have a stack of something or other with no immediate obvious use whose sell cost makes your eyes light up, sell that poo poo.