Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Tired of this stuff filling up threads only tangentially related 2 the subject, if u got a hot take & rly wanna Debate and Discuss or whatever James Gunn firing, Mike Cernovich, Hollywood, etc. this is the place 4 u, not the Sexual Assault thread or the Who Green-lighted thread or the Comic Book Movie thread, etc...let loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Wow, that's a real effort OP. I've hear CineD is a really smart forum and it does not disappoint.

make a better thread and i'll close this one

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

The answer is because people can cherry pick from any arbitrarily large and diverse creative output to build a narrative of their choosing, and if they pick the right one there's apparently a chance Disney will fire somebody for it. The solution is to delete any large cache of output, like all your social media posts.

what "narrative" do you think is being created w/ gunn?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

Anything beyond "he told edgelord jokes when he worked for an edgelord company during a time when that was acceptable on the internet". Literally anything outside of that exact narrative is 100% a construct.

& what narrative did disney fire him for?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

That it was bad PR. What is your goal here?

& you're saying it wasn't bad PR?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don't rly have a "goal" i'm just trying 2 understand your claim.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

It was bad PR because of the implications intended in the original dump. I can't imagine anyone, Disney employee or not, saying "Welp he made some lovely jokes ten years ago, gotta fire him". They fired him because there's now a document that exists that supports (in an alarmingly specious way) the notion that he's a pedophile, the American Nazis' black mark of choice for the moment, and Disney wanted to get out ahead of this idea.

Okay so the "narrative" that Disney fired him for isn't bad pr but the implication that he's a pedophile - because that's bad pr?

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 25, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
okay so think i got it - it isn't that he made "lovely jokes" it's that those jokes imply that he's a pedophile - and by spending enough time on anyone's dedicated social media platform everyone has made similar jokes/posts that could be compiled to imply they're a pedophile (or some similarly abhorrent thing) & if u work for Disney they will fire you for this. Therefore "the solution is to delete any large cache of output, like all your social media posts.". That right?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
ya definitely very worrying that celebs may have to continue to do rudimentary public relations work...maybe trevor noah will have to make this tweet a second time
https://twitter.com/Trevornoah/status/583019964556152832
lotta frightening potential consequences

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
its so weird 2 me seeing ppl expecting Disney to be some sort of moral arbiter.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the outrage, not expecting Disney to suddenly act positively.

hypocrisy of who's outrage?

e: whoms?

e2: whomst??

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
well i think ur time is better spent than pointing out the potential hypocrisy of a hypothetical audience you've constructed

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The hypothetical audience who is outraged at this man for making bad jokes but doesn't care about actual criminals

E: VVV You're very bad at reading posts and the context in which they're meant, I was replying to someone

Hmm unbelievably cowardly 2 edit in a reply instead of posting - especially one that doesn't actually provide a response but not exactly shocking that the guy w/ the epic anti-semetic irony avatar would be v up in arms on this issue.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

This av was bought for me by some Nazi, I'm Jewish.

I'm just upset about the Gunn firing and trying to make sense of all this and you're going out of your way to read all of my posts in the most hostile light possible because of my av, loving christ.

i apologize but i still don't think there's any real reason to overthink this. Disney fired James Gunn because he made tweets that were controversial enough 2 get a lot of negative press & unlike people like Johnny Depp, John Lasseter, etc. they view him as totally replaceable (like all their directors) so the perceived effect 2 their bottom line of replacing him is only positive (even moreso because it prevents him from being directly associated w/ the brand in a way that gives him any sort of bargaining power like the actors have)

Plastik posted:

It's so weird that people don't seem to understand that firing some people for some things and not firing other people for other, similar things is literally moral arbitration.

companies r not moral actors

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

esperterra posted:

Nobody is saying they are tho, just lamenting the fact that companies are trash.

ya maybe i'm being unclear but it just seems crazy 2 me to think that at any point these are moral choices by Disney that can be challenged for their hypocrisy

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

esperterra posted:

Their lovely choices can be challenged though. They just almost definitely can't be changed lmfao

Yeah but what's the end goal here - u know? Should Disney hire back James Gunn if they don't fire Johnny Depp? If they do fire Johnny Depp does that mean they're no longer hypocritical & don't need to hire James Gunn back? You can argue an ethical standard on this stuff all u want but they're never going to act in a morally consistent way because that will never ever be the way decisions are made or something they care about.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
hell ya this avatar whips

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Fire everyone and make movies with computers

now we're talkin

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

I heard the MSN Messenger noise in my head as soon as I saw that image. Cursed.

i wish they'd used the magic wand tool 2 remove the white from the background but otherwise i love it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
one of his talk show party tricks is rapping memorized Eminem lyrics he probably wasn't much fun to hang out with at most points

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
VERY scary to imagine the moral integrity of the disney corporation being compromised

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
unfortunately 4 u Plastik, argument winners in CineD are decided by their skill at embedding media...better luck next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

whats the confusion

• Locked thread