Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

haha what is this bullshit?

lmao he sets the boot menu timeout to 3 seconds because even though he doesn't know what the boot menu is he knows he wants the timeout to be low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

maybe I am reading your post wrong but i do have the option of charging this laptop over USB-C if I want

gripe retracted, that owns then

still dumb for them to add the power jack tho.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
the 6g x1 carbon only has usb-c for charging, and has two of those ports on the left, and everything is set up for a dock like: http://www.beezmo.com/geezblog/?attachment_id=1641

typing this from one of those docks, and it works really well, and comes with a 135W power cord that uses both usb-c ports to charge

ignore the fact that page is for a x280, the left side usb-c and ethernet dongle connectors are more or less standard across different kinds of thinkpad now, and that docking station works for multiple laptops

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

gripe retracted, that owns then

still dumb for them to add the power jack tho.

Eh not really. What if I wanted to use an egpu and charge the laptop at the same time?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Eh not really. What if I wanted to use an egpu and charge the laptop at the same time?

buy a desktop pc and charge your laptop on the second outlet
if you can be satisfied with an "egpu" whatever the gently caress that is, you're not doing serious gaming or power user stuff

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

buy a desktop pc and charge your laptop on the second outlet
if you can be satisfied with an "egpu" whatever the gently caress that is, you're not doing serious gaming or power user stuff

true.dat

I mean it's not like the power port makes a big difference just being there

somewhat related but I am very surprised with how well this laptop handles games. My t420 could barely run Rainbow Six Vegas 2 even though it had an i7 and NVidia GPU, but on this T25 I am running Tomb Raider (yes I know it's a couple years old) at 60fps 1080p with details set to high. I thought this was gonna be a POS for games because it's only a dual core 7th gen processor but I am really pleased with it.

I could have went for the T480 since it's quad core but it's a lot more expensive than the T25 and the keyboard isn't as good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://www.rossmanngroup.com/lenovo-retro-thinkpad-piece-junk/

rossman doesn't like it lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

people seem to be ridiculously butthurt that it didn't use a 3:2 or even a fuckin 4:3 screen lol

a lot of people also pissy that it has a 1080p screen.

seriously, those are the two big gripes with it. i think the big issue too is that it retailed for $2,000 when you can get way more powerful laptops for cheaper when it was released. I got it straight from lenovo for $1400 with tax. im sure the reviews would have been better if it was that price from the start.

people also mad that it comes with a touch screen. just don't use it if you don't like it :confused:

but seriously every review i read that poo poo on the T25 was so loving angry about the screen being 16:9 lol

edit: he's also complaining that there's no VGA port lol

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 26, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

c t430 s: still owning bones after five years

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

got a new x1c coming, very happy to give up my current terrible (despite being shaggar-approved) laptop

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the w540 is not very good so i must conclude dell is better

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
the p series is p good

like the w series it doubles as a reasonable bludgeoning device

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
I have 10 broken t20 series thinkboys in the mail waiting for me when I get home from work. Im going to mutilate and splice them until they are as unrecognizable as my t42s.

That looks pretty nice op, too bad I refuse to spend over 15 dollars on a laptop.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

i dont know who beezmo is and just wanted a picture, first high res one i found in google images earch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1080p? heh maybe if she's 4.5"!

mystes
May 31, 2006

A friend texted me yesterday that he was going to purchase one of the new MacBooks, but he found they removed the HD recovery port, meaning all your data is gone if your motherboard ever dies (and the motherboards on MacBooks aren't known for, uh, not dying).
This is apparently because the hardware encryption would make recovering the data impossible anyway.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

1080p? heh maybe if she's 4.5"!

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Looks like a nice computer

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

TimWinter posted:

the p series is p good

agreed

(posted from my w520)

otoh i have an x1c on order. 5th gen :(

govt procurement cycles take too fuckin long

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

new work x1c arrived, awesome in all ways *except* the guy doing the ordering opts for the glossy screen. who gets a thinkpad with a glossy screen :(

(still very happy with the upgrade)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

TimWinter posted:

the p series is p good

maybe they figured things out for later versions but the w540 specifically has a garbage screen, the touchpad stairsteps like crazy and the click has a foot of travel, the touchpoint buttons are just regions on the touchpad so are equally worthless, it had a vga port but no hdmi, and when it was first issued to me it had a hard drive, in 2014

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

carry on then posted:

maybe they figured things out for later versions but the w540 specifically has a garbage screen, the touchpad stairsteps like crazy and the click has a foot of travel, the touchpoint buttons are just regions on the touchpad so are equally worthless, it had a vga port but no hdmi, and when it was first issued to me it had a hard drive, in 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lysidas posted:

i dont know who beezmo is and just wanted a picture, first high res one i found in google images earch
lol i just like the name fam

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

post your favorite weird thinkpad

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what the gently caress. what is that. that rules

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
My T61 turns ten years old in November. It shipped with Vista, spent a long time on W7-32 and once I get a cheapish 1TB SSD will be reborn to W10. The C2D proc is pretty slow but I need it for Chrome, RDP and Winamp. Works for me.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
are you like 60 years old

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Sent from my iPad posted:

post your favorite weird thinkpad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

that ssd will be a big improvement but it’s not magic, you’re still stuck with sata limits and will need to mod your bios to get the most if it

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
how does tim have the a.i. set such that 10 year old Thinkpads are a Thing

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Excuse me, please don't ever post the w700ds without the ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhGkxkzmPbQ

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

OldAlias posted:

that ssd will be a big improvement but it’s not magic, you’re still stuck with sata limits and will need to mod your bios to get the most if it

the e6400 I bought in 2006 got a pretty big boost from the ssd

then windows ten came

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

flakeloaf posted:

c t430 s: still owning bones after five years

same, was recently tempted by the t480s but they're still dang expensive in NL and this t430 is still trucking along

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

between work and home i have four (4) thinkpads (thinks pad?)

though one is my old w530 from college and the motherboard has a cracked trace so it can't boot

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

at this house I have 5. they’re all busted in some way except one (mostly dead batteries), & I used to cannibalize them for parts. bought for between $20-$60 cad for x61t, x200t, t60. I should fix them up and rid myself of most of them. my friends work is cycling thru models so I might end up with some t560s or some other model, not sure. the thinkpad curse

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh cool another thread about hoarding

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

eh, I was super broke for a while so it was more necessity, but it is clutter now. it’s good to be able to compute for that cheap, the floor price for any piece of poo poo laptop that works is usually higher

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

carry on then posted:

w540 specifically is garbage

The w541 had a bad trackpad and keyboard but the w540 was master class in frustrating user interface components. A real superlative in the field of bad input devices.

ofc, I am writing this on an external keyboard attached to a w540.

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

I had a coworker who was supposed to get a new laptop from IT and they kept loving up his order one way or another and after like 7 months of loving back & forth the VP finally just went down to IT and threw a fit and told them to just buy him a loving laptop and so they went out and bought him the most expensive possible thinkpad and it was this one and it had a built-in wacom tablet and all kinds of ridiculous poo poo and the guy hated it but couldn't say anything about it cause there was already so much drama

anyway, put an ssd in a T420s and you got a great laptop.

nice matte screen, great keyboard, still a dual core so its fine for just doin whatever.

Mine still runs great. Replaced the keyboard & battery a few years ago. poo poo won't ever die.

• Locked thread