Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

questions.

The state of Michigan decided in 2016 that our ancient, dilapidated smells like old people voting machines (they were so old nobody manufactured the 32 megabyte memory cartridges anymore) needed to be replaced ASAP. the Secretary of State announced in 2017 the state would buy new updated machines. There were three machines from three different manufacturers and my county chose Dominion Voting. If you click on the link, you will see splashed all over their website that Michigan overwhelmingly chose their voting machines.

Dominion Voting is a Canadian company :canada: that launched lots of crazy family FWD: FWD: FWD emails about George Soros owning an interest in the company and rigging elections. He doesn't own Dominion Voting.

This is what our new voting machines look like:

You can see the entire new voting process here.

So, tonight my local Democratic Party working with the County Clerk will offer a workshop to teach people how to use these machines before our August 7 primary election. Good idea, huh? Considering the fears that the 2016 election was hacked by Russians and they're going to do it again this year, what are some good questions to ask tonight at the workshop?

Also, should I wear the hat?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 13:51 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ask them how much the bilderberg group is paying them to rig the election for the zionist soros

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ask them why that poo poo isn't locked away in a cabinet. It looks easy as hell to tamper with

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Why don’t Americans fill in a piece of paper like civilised people

Thanks for buying our poo poo tho :canada:

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

a primate posted:

papers cheap, this way you can award that juicy contract for those computerized voting machines to you butt buddy from your college days

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
show up and demand paper ballots.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at using machines to vote instead of just paper and pencil

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ask them how it's democratic to change the vote system to something that can't accept your previous voting behavior, ie making GBS threads in the envelope before depositing it in the ballot box

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

a primate posted:

We do. They just put ballots that voted wrong into a shredder. At least this is quicker and easier to tamper.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a primate posted:

some states do, in NY you fill in the paper ballot and put it in a machine

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Hot takes from the demonstration:

The ballot that prints out after using the touch screen is a QR code. They were emphatic that nobody's phone or tablet will be able to pick it up.

There are paper ballots too, but it's like taking the SAT.

The accessibility is going to be a huge problem. No one there knew how to use those functions and a woman asked for a demonstration. She told me later she's from a state wide organization doing research. She said so far no one has been able to demonstrate them when asked.

the QR code ballot from the touch screen is accessed by a chip card. It's up to the clerk to wipe them after they are used so more voters can vote.

How is all of that voting data transferred to a computer with internet access? A flash drive.

August 7 is going to be fun.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The ballot that prints out after using the touch screen is a QR code. They were emphatic that nobody's phone or tablet will be able to pick it up.

The accessibility is going to be a huge problem. No one there knew how to use those functions and a woman asked for a demonstration. She told me later she's from a state wide organization doing research. She said so far no one has been able to demonstrate them when asked.

the QR code ballot from the touch screen is accessed by a chip card. It's up to the clerk to wipe them after they are used so more voters can vote.

How is all of that voting data transferred to a computer with internet access? A flash drive.

the QR thing is bad enough but then the flash drive, lol. and transferring that data to a networked computer, double lol

why can't they just have the fuckin machine print out the final result after the polls close and then phone those results in. as in an old fashioned verbal phone call. it's the only way you're gonna be able to aggregate the totals from all precincts without exposing them to the dangers of the Cyber

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sounds like the voting commission knew exactly what they wanted, and got it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

michigan is low-key the scariest state from a political standpoint. you've got bean counter dictators and now this easily manipulable voting machine system

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The new Xbox looks like poo poo

Those printers look off the shelf. What are the chances half of them stop working after the first election?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

What the christ :stonklol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Computer literacy tests for voters

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

well i guess el-sayed isn't going to win now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a primate posted:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

your elections are rigged op

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

The new Xbox looks like poo poo

Those printers look off the shelf. What are the chances half of them stop working after the first election?

It's HP, so 0% chances

can't stop working after the election if it stops working during the election instead

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i've pretty much given up on this democracy thing and think we'd be better off picking our leaders through games of calvinball

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Isn't that one of those Scientology machines they use to measure your humors?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i've pretty much given up on this democracy thing and think we'd be better off picking our leaders through games of calvinball

Robert Anton Wilson thought the same. The election should be one night like a pageant with competitions and judging on who looks the best in fashions and swimsuits.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only way you should do electronic voting is having it print out a filled ballot the voter can review for accuracy imo

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Welp, I vented my concerns with others on facebook and the county clerk bitched me out. "Why didn't you bring these questions up at the demonstration?" Because if I had I would have taken up the entire hour and the people there deserved to see the equipment in action.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Welp, I vented my concerns with others on facebook and the county clerk bitched me out. "Why didn't you bring these questions up at the demonstration?" Because if I had I would have taken up the entire hour and the people there deserved to see the equipment in action.

clerk kinda has a point though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Yinlock posted:

clerk kinda has a point though

I did ask two questions, but she informed me everything had official SoS seals and it was impossible to tamper with anything. The demonstration was only for an hour, and people wanted to see the equipment in action.

• Locked thread