Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well. It would seem that the original thread has managed to get archived. I always thought that only happened if it managed to make it all the way back to the last page. Whoops.

Anyways, if you don't know the story already, you can read the whole thing here: I Bought a Truck
Though, you may want to read it's sister thread as well, Requiem For a Jeep

The TL;DR of it: I bought a truck 3000 miles away from me that couldn't move under it's own power. A very nice goon was able to house it at his farm for me. We decided we could drive it to Florida. I bought a van to yank the engine out of. We drove up there, 14" drove from Seattle. Dave burned his Jeep down. We did all over again the next year. :v: Then I abandoned my project to go live on the other side of the country.

Which brings us to where we are today. I'm back in Florida for....less than pleasant reasons. But, I still have some time here to get to working on this thing. Plus it helps keep the mind occupied.
So here we are after 6-ish months of sitting:

Cameo by the world's worst Camero in the background there.

When we last left off the truck wouldn't idle or run very well at all. After shotgunning parts at it and not finding much success, we found out a bolt fell off the started, and the solenoid was getting stuck. But we ran out of time to work on it. But today me and my dad were able to get plenty of time to work on it.

And we:
1. Bolted the starter in properly
2. Purged all the gas and put in some new Ethanol Free stuff
3. Used 3 cans of starting fluid
4. Set the fuel injection assembly on fire
5. Replaced the Throttle Position Sensor with the original sensor.

The result? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T_ctRgbrbM
:smugdog: It's finally running decently. We got it to idle smoothly for about 20 mins until we shut the fuel pump off. It's loud, it has an exhaust leak, some pulley or pump on the front is making noise, but it's finally running consistently. Throttle seems to work just fine, and it should be able to move under it's own power much easier now.

Although my dad doesn't quite approve of Dave's wiring setup.

Go figure. Must be an electrical engineer thing. :v:

So, he's got some upgrades planned for it in the near future.

Who says a truck can't be a racecar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IT'S ALIVE :getin: :gooncamp:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to hear your dad's opinions in either video or textual format.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Dave burned his Jeep down. We did all over again the next year. :v:

But Dave didn't get to burn down another jeep the next year. Criminally unfair to him, I say.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
That loving exhaust setup lol

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

*twitch*

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Have seen it? That's definitely a Camero and not a Camaro.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Engine harness slash passenger seat heater

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

Engine harness slash passenger seat heater

Slash carefully grounded and shielded ECU taped to the battery

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Seriously though, it's nice that, despite the circumstances, you and your dad can get together to work on Trukk.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dagen H posted:

Seriously though, it's nice that, despite the circumstances, you and your dad can get together to work on Trukk.

In central Florida in late July

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

INCHI DICKARI posted:

It's the yin to your rural-Nebraska-in-January yang.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

rndmnmbr posted:

But Dave didn't get to burn down another jeep the next year. Criminally unfair to him, I say.

Only because I made sure that only the highest of security clearance was needed for access. :v:

Also, that Buick behind it is my mom's former car, and good God is that a terrible car to drive.

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Meh, it's not so bad. Its been like 90 outside, but it keeps raining randomly, which kinda sucks. Managed to stay dry while working though.

Also, I have Zero loving excitement for going back to Vegas now. Humans weren't meant to live in the desert.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 29, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Dagen H posted:

*twitch*

Meh, it's barely even a car at this point.

So fun story, I was talking to the lady who runs the storage yard, since they're getting ready to redo the parking spaces. (Also why we needed to get this thing running)

So apparently this thing has been here since 1996. And the owner pays for it via money order. :psyduck:

So, now I'm like 99% sure there's a body in the trunk or something, because Jesus Christ. Over $16,000 in storage costs.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 30, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How are they gonna move that Camero to redo the storage yard?

Does it run, or is the owner going to pay for a tow truck with a stinger and presumably some new tires?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

Meh, it's barely even a car at this point.

So fun story, I was talking to the lady who runs the storage yard, since they're getting ready to redo the parking spaces. (Also why we needed to get this thing running)

So apparently this thing has been here since 1996. And the owner pays for it via money order. :psyduck:

So, now I'm like 99% sure there's a body in the trunk or something, because Jesus Christ. Over $16,000 in storage costs.

I bet the owner thinks their car is exactly as it was in 1996 and will go apeshit when they find out that isn't the case.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Fermented Tinal posted:

I bet the owner thinks their car is exactly as it was in 1996 and will die before finding out that isn't the case.

FTFY, for the most likely scenario.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
$5 says the owner is in Prison...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kaptainballistik posted:

Maybe Nick Nolte can spring him for Yet Another 48 Hours of madcap mayhem.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How are they gonna move that Camero to redo the storage yard?

Does it run, or is the owner going to pay for a tow truck with a stinger and presumably some new tires?

gently caress if I know. Last time I looked at it, the wheels were already about a 1/4 of the way sunk into the ground, so whoever gets tasked with moving that is going to have a fun time.

Kaptainballistik posted:

I'd put money down on some kinda crime being connected to that car. I can't really imagine much other reason to keep it in a storage yard for 20-odd years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Delusion is a powerful thing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It looks like you could put your finger through that fender. I agree with the delusional diagnosis. "Yeah, I'll get around to it."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Well done.

So... driving it back to Vegas?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It looks like you could put your finger through that fender. I agree with the delusional diagnosis. "Yeah, I'll get around to it."

Man, what kinda idiot would buy a car and leave it on the other side of the country though? Surely they can't be too bright.

builds character posted:

Well done.

Well, now it runs, but it still doesn't quite stop. But hey, how necessary are brakes anyways?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Delusion is a powerful thing.

I know what I have :colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

builds character posted:

Well done.

That engine made it to Nebraska once. I bet it's got another long haul in it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Maybe it was their high school car? Maybe they banged like 2 chicks at once in it on a football field in the middle of winter? Who knows. If yall are on facebook you should follow "Kevin's Rust In Peace". He finds cars out in fields and sometimes the 90 year old about to die owner says I am about to restore that. Good Stuff.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
If this wonderful piece of automotive history does make its way out west, I request that you roll up to my house with the Sanford and Son theme blasting out of it. I will jump in, and off we go, with no explanation to the missus.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

everdave posted:

Maybe they banged like 2 chicks at once in it on a football field in the middle of winter?

In a Camaro? You barely got room to jerk off in a Camaro, let alone bang one chick. Forget about two.

On the hood, on the other hand...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rndmnmbr posted:

In a Camaro? You barely got room to jerk off in a Camaro, let alone bang one chick. Forget about two.

On the hood, on the other hand...

You lack commitment to getting laid, apparently.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MrYenko posted:

You lack commitment to getting laid, apparently.

I never bothered banging in the car. My dad kept a stock condoms in the cabinet and generally turned a blind eye to all the loving I did. Cars are a interesting-once novelty, but there's so much more potential for variety at home.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

I never bothered banging in the car. My dad kept a stock condoms in the cabinet and generally turned a blind eye to all the loving I did. Cars are a interesting-once novelty, but there's so much more potential for variety at home.

Um, yeah. If my parents let me have sex in my room there would not have been any car sex. But since that wasn't the case there was lots of car sex and even some motorcycle sex.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

No, Dad! I'm not going to stop having sex in the parking lot behind the grocery store just because you said I can do it in my own bed. Forget it, you'll never understand. I'm outta heeeeeeeerrrree.

The State.
VVV

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 3, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol. What show was that, kids in the hall? I forget.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
High school football field on the 50 yard line in my z-71 in a snowstorm good and awkward times

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

everdave posted:

High school football field on the 50 yard line in my z-71 in a snowstorm good and awkward times

In the middle of a field off a back road on the hill behind the school. On a Friday night in September. Then the game ended, and here came the parade...

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
But what about in the back of a 1951 Chevy truck?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That's Mooecow's domain.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

ionn posted:

But what about in the back of a 1951 Chevy truck?

Alright, who's ready for some :pervert: ROMANCE :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Alright, who's ready for some :pervert: ROMANCE :pervert:

*silent hill horn blares*

I've literally sealed the deed in two VW beetles and gave my ex two black eyes banging in the back of my Civic, get on my level

• Locked thread