Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I'll start: the Phoenix Program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vietnam had the M-14, the Huey chopper, the M60, the best movies.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

My favourite is cultural imperalism jfc op

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I liked when reagan invaded grenada and a bunch of troops died when their helicopters crashed into each other

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Chomskyan posted:

I'll start: the Phoenix Program

drat I didn't know we did helicopter rides before Pinochet made it cool :suicide:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

drat I didn't know we did helicopter rides before Pinochet made it cool :suicide:
suspect it may have been stolen from the French in Algeria tbh

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The first incursions beyond the Proclamation line of 1763

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
gotta be putting the shah in power and then eventually getting the ayatollah for our trouble
lolowned

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
it’s flying death robots. how is this even up for discussion?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Feldegast42 posted:

Somoza perfected it by throwing people into volcanoes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
War of 1812. Yeah, we got Washington burned down but we smashed Tecumseh and his federation of tribes which led to the unfettered colonization of the entire western half of the US.

Tecumseh is loving fascinating, btw. And more people should read and know about him.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Attacking Canada, Mexico, Cuba, and the State of Deseret

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zeroisanumber posted:

War of 1812. Yeah, we got Washington burned down but we smashed Tecumseh and his federation of tribes which led to the unfettered colonization of the entire western half of the US.

Tecumseh is loving fascinating, btw. And more people should read and know about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4i_qe9W6Dk

"We fought side by side" lol.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i had a dope imperialism post written but i accidentally closed the tab so here is the gist

mark twain was right

quote:

Extending the Blessings of Civilization to our Brother who Sits in Darkness has been a good trade and has paid well, on the whole; and there is money in it yet, if carefully worked -- but not enough, in my judgement, to make any considerable risk advisable. The People that Sit in Darkness are getting to be too scarce -- too scarce and too shy. And such darkness as is now left is really of but an indifferent quality, and not dark enough for the game. The most of those People that Sit in Darkness have been furnished with more light than was good for them or profitable for us. We have been injudicious.

smedley butler was right

quote:

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

jacob h smith was wrong enough to offend people in a time period when native american genocide was still considered a polite indiscretion at best

quote:

General Jacob Hurd Smith (January 29, 1840 – March 1, 1918) was a United States Army officer notorious for ordering an indiscriminate retaliatory attack on a group of Filipinos during the Philippine–American War, in which American soldiers killed between 2,500 and 50,000 civilians.[1][2] His orders included, "kill everyone over the age of ten" and make the island "a howling wilderness."[3] Court-martialed for the incident,[1] he was dubbed "Hell Roaring Jake" Smith, "The Monster", and "Howling Jake" by the press as a result.[4]

look at this fuckin dude, all he needs is a pith helmet and a bunch of questionably smooth native boy servants bearing trays of laudanum

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

quote:

Lansdale recalls, “A combat psywar squad was brought in. It planted stories among town residents of an asuang living on the hill where the Huks were based. Two nights later, after giving the stories time to make their way up to the hill camp, the psywar squad set up an ambush along the trail used by the Huks. When a Huk patrol came along the trail, the ambushers silently snatched the last man of the patrol, their move unseen in the dark night. They punctured his neck with two holes, vampire-fashion, held the body up by the heels, drained it of blood, and put the corpse back on the trail. When the Huks returned to look for the missing man and found their bloodless comrade, every member of the patrol believed that the asuang had got him and that one of them would be next if they remained on that hill. When daylight came, the whole Huk squadron moved out of the vicinity.”

man good thing we used psychopath tactics. otherwise there might be a communist insurgency in the Philippines right now :v:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That one video where the Apache slaughters a bunch of journalists.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

when you've set the bar as low as 'anyone over the age of twelve' you're really not gonna peak any harder.

then I got to the end of that sentence and realized it applies to modern american tourists in the philipines.

can 'always' be an answer?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
spanish-american war op, that or the mexican-american war

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ww2

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
when American fried chicken was so delicious it violently disrupted the native cuisines of the global subaltern

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

LinYutang posted:

when American fried chicken was so delicious it violently disrupted the native cuisines of the global subaltern

lol yeah, that's a good imperialism too

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Big fan of the Monroe Doctrine here OP

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gonna watch over-dramatic, Canadian, War of 1812 docs now.

It's like the History Channel of 2003 never left. :allears:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

That time we gave Cuba "quasi-independence" after the Spanish American war. Thanks Vox!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The War of Northern Aggression

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You can't have two favourite's op

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ww2, op

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Plutonis posted:

The War of Northern Aggression

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

You can't have two favourite's op

Yes I can

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There are so many great ones to choose from it's genuinely hard to decide, OP.

WWII is obviously a perennial contender. If we'd stayed out the Soviets would have had dominion over all of Europe eventually, so it was real good that we didn't let that happen.

WWI is severely underrated. Intervening in a war between great powers in a different hemisphere gave us an amazing opportunity to flex on the international stage.

The Spanish-American War marked where the old idealistic republican rhetoric of the past finally came to an end, and we finally admitted we were an empire engaged in imperialism worldwide. That'd be the definitive answer, except for...

The Mexican-American War. Objectively the best. If part of the treaty had read "you get Texas back, we'll just take California and the rest," it would have been the most wonderful war in human history.

e:

Forgot to mention that one, crushing the South under our bootheels was extremely good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The unlawful abduction of Bane by the coward Bill Wilson.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

John Adams gave money to the slave revolt in Haiti so I'm pretty sure that's the best imperialism

nah
Mar 16, 2009

the war on christmas op

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

people have said the Mexican-American war, but the real answer is "all of James K Polk's foreign policy"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
posting in a thread where no one read the op

• Locked thread