Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Man I dont know if there's more room in this hot tub filled with free champagne, handsome funny dudes and hot intelligent babes but I guess if you did start cheering for the Bengals....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

a patagonian cavy posted:

i'm so sick of these ravens posters talking about how good andy dalton is

They had to watch Flacco for a decade, cut them some slack.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Eifert Posting posted:

They had to watch Flacco for a decade, cut them some slack.

As a ravens poster you should know that Flacco won a super bowl

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I was watching Flacco the other day in an early season 2018 game against the Steelers that they won. He actually played really well. I'm curious if he'll do anything for the Broncos or not, a the very least outplaying Case Keenum should be within his abilities

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Play posted:

I was watching Flacco the other day in an early season 2018 game against the Steelers that they won. He actually played really well. I'm curious if he'll do anything for the Broncos or not, a the very least outplaying Case Keenum should be within his abilities

We were playing really well overall at that point and looked like a serious contender to come out of the AFC. Then we came out the next week against the Browns looking miserable and were just never the same. You would never have guessed after that Steelers game Flacco would end up getting benched for a very raw rookie. I'm not even 100% sure what happened. Yeah we looked bad in the Bengals game but we are almost always trash in Cincinnati. The wheels just came off.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

We were playing really well overall at that point and looked like a serious contender to come out of the AFC. Then we came out the next week against the Browns looking miserable and were just never the same. You would never have guessed after that Steelers game Flacco would end up getting benched for a very raw rookie. I'm not even 100% sure what happened. Yeah we looked bad in the Bengals game but we are almost always trash in Cincinnati. The wheels just came off.

The way Lamar became the lead guy was somewhat abrupt so it's harder to judge if Flacco is actually toast or not... yeah he had a few tough seasons in a row but I feel like the team was letting him down just as much or more as he was letting the team down. Early this past season he was passing downfield pretty drat well. Then it was just a couple games where a lot went wrong and boom he's gone. But I didn't feel like there was a game or series of games where I was able to say "wow, Flacco just absolutely sucks, he's done"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like on a different team with more league-average receivers Flacco would have looked better. I just like poo poo-talking him.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I also remember looking back at the stats what a terrible run game we had before Jackson came in with Collins/Allen. We just weren't doing jack. So Flacco had to do a lot of the lifting himself with no real relief from that run game. In that Browns game he threw 56 times. Dixon/Edwards was a better combo for Jackson.

IIRC Flacco was hurt after the second steelers game where they handled us pretty well at home. Then we won a couple games with Jackson and Harbaugh was just like screw it. I think Jackson is cool and all but looking back at just the numbers I really don't see how Flacco's benching was justified. He had a 61.2 completion percentage and 12 TDs to 6 INTs. All with no real running game at the time to back him up. There's no reason to pin the team's struggles on that guy. I guess we just felt that we had to get Jackson in and I was all for it at the time but really looking back you can see what a total idiot John Harbaugh is and why he never had any business becoming an NFL coach.

Also Crabtree dropped the GW TD pass at Cleveland I remember that now too. So another game Flacco won. Plus of course we basically tied the game against NO but Harbaugh wouldn't go for two. God I hate that dunce Harbaugh so much. But we can't just get rid of him right now. But if we have a bad year he's toast. He's on thin ice at least with me.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 8, 2019

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

I also remember looking back at the stats what a terrible run game we had before Jackson came in with Collins/Allen. We just weren't doing jack. So Flacco had to do a lot of the lifting himself with no real relief from that run game. In that Browns game he threw 56 times. Dixon/Edwards was a better combo for Jackson.

this was pretty huge, collins/allen was terrible and i wanted gus in since preseason since he actually showed something resembling burst to the LOS

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's also worth considering that while Edwards and Dixon are better players than Collins and Allen (I'm especially a big Dixon fan, my big bowling pin of a running back), Lamar himself is a large part of the reason why the running game took off like it did. His speed, the constant threat to run with the option attack they were using, and the fact that defenses had to account for the possibility of Lamar keeping it and burning them bad for over-pursuing the RB was a huge factor. But yeah, early in the season the run game was absolutely being shut down and Flacco acquitted himself pretty well imo.

I watched a few Broncos games the other day and I feel pretty comfortable saying that Flacco is a much better quarterback than Keenum. I hope he succeeds in Denver and also I really like what he said about mentoring Drew Lock.. basically just gently caress that noise, that isn't my job bitch

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Play posted:

It's also worth considering that while Edwards and Dixon are better players than Collins and Allen (I'm especially a big Dixon fan, my big bowling pin of a running back), Lamar himself is a large part of the reason why the running game took off like it did. His speed, the constant threat to run with the option attack they were using, and the fact that defenses had to account for the possibility of Lamar keeping it and burning them bad for over-pursuing the RB was a huge factor. But yeah, early in the season the run game was absolutely being shut down and Flacco acquitted himself pretty well imo.

I watched a few Broncos games the other day and I feel pretty comfortable saying that Flacco is a much better quarterback than Keenum. I hope he succeeds in Denver and also I really like what he said about mentoring Drew Lock.. basically just gently caress that noise, that isn't my job bitch

it's kind of a chicken and egg thing, i think with joe the ravens would have still been a playoff team if either of those RBs got the snaps collins did

dixon has always been a badass just he kept getting injured and popped for PEDs, Edwards looked really good in preseason but they ran with Collins because he had an ok season on paper the previous year

but even in collins' "good" year he still looked super pedestrian and i was worried about exactly what would happen (the team trying to workhorse him)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Jackson did play a huge part in the running game working absolutely. I guess in some ways I do see the dilemma. If we're going to move on from Flacco and have Jackson and he's raw what's better, to have him ride the bench for another season or two? Or see how he is right now this past half season and this one. It might be clear by the end of this next season that no Lamar ISNT the guy, and if we see that then we can move on quicker than if we'd waited. And dump Harbaugh out with him. And if he makes strides in his passing game? Then Harbaugh and co look like geniuses for getting him out on the field. I feel like the league is past the stage where we are overprotective of rookies. Maybe the more enforced contact rules also help with this. And that's probably a good thing honestly. If it's even true.

So maybe I see more of a dilemma. And maybe I was harsh in my words. But still those performances didn't warrant a benching. The Cleveland and New Orleans games also were basically two late game heroics that went awry for one reason or another not related to Flacco. If those pan out there's no way he would have been kept on the bench after Jackson's starts.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I think the ravens should feature mark andrews more

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

We should just fuse all our Big White TEs into one and limit break them

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

We should just fuse all our Big White TEs into one and limit break them

Dont you dare ruin the perfection that is mark Andrews with your dirty hurst blood

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Who here likes the Cincinnati Bengals

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I like thinking about how I'd like to kiss them. The Cincinnati Bengals!

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

the bengals suck gently caress you

Cavauro posted:

I like thinking about how I'd like to kiss them. The Cincinnati Bengals!

bitch

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cincinnati Bengals are my favorite team

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

it's kind of a chicken and egg thing, i think with joe the ravens would have still been a playoff team if either of those RBs got the snaps collins did

dixon has always been a badass just he kept getting injured and popped for PEDs, Edwards looked really good in preseason but they ran with Collins because he had an ok season on paper the previous year

but even in collins' "good" year he still looked super pedestrian and i was worried about exactly what would happen (the team trying to workhorse him)

Fut Buhl

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

who could hate the winningest franchise in the nfl??

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cavauro posted:

Fut Buhl

sorry for saying this. I like football as welll

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
wait a second this isn't the Massive Chumps thread it's just very similar

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

bungles*

:eyepop:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

agreed gayden burst can gently caress off

e: that is a typo. i mean to type hayden hurst

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Doltos posted:

wait a second this isn't the Massive Chumps thread it's just very similar

I would like to re-sell the U and buy a new vowel A, thanks trebek

Doltos posted:

wait a second this isn't the Massive Champs thread it's just very similar

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

I would like to re-sell the U and buy a new vowel A, thanks trebek

this is one of the worst posts ive read in this thread you should be ashamed of yourself

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Metapod posted:

this is one of the worst posts ive read in this thread you should be ashamed of yourself

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864708&userid=185596

These are the worst posts I have ever read tbh

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly no one knows what's going with Clint Boling but a local writer has said multiple sources say he's "done."

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Metapod posted:

I'm sorry I only read posts that are Cincinnati Bengals themed. I will also accept That Team Out Of Cincinnati, the city of Champs

https://deadspin.com/officials-respond-to-public-records-request-on-bengals-1836243120

Worst stadium deal in the league that could stand to get worse for public finances? Won't ever know because the details of the agreement have so far been kept secret :coal:
That is the price for greatness and 5 consecutive offseason championship rings

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 11, 2019

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Metapod posted:

Only this thread?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Supposedly no one knows what's going with Clint Boling but a local writer has said multiple sources say he's "done."

Man the Bengals can't catch a fuckin break can they. At least he's in the last year of his deal if that's true, but that line seems like it's falling apart before a single snap. Historically, the Bengals' success on offense has pretty much matched up perfectly to the quality of the offensive line.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Play posted:

Bengals' success on offense

lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Folks, thats why you give Big Bobby the Big Bucks

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Folks, thats why you give Big Bobby the Big Bucks

quote:

For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.”

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Only this thread?

A lot of hatred for greatness. You hate to see it

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

lol I want to die

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The Cleveland Browns have won the Super Bowl!!!