Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Ghost Dog posted:

benched up 40 pts in the superbowl

god I'd love to beat the Saints in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Interesting hook but how are you going to flesh out a full article with this?

It would mean beating another undefeated team in the SB. They're just 1-0. But it would be the third time we beat a team with a perfect SB record before facing us. I kind of hope they beat us in the regular season if this game is going to happen.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Oberst posted:

Ravens are beating the saints, losing to falcons. Get your narrative correct

Probably. But if I knew for a *FACT* that the Ravens would play the Saints in the Superbowl(I wouldn't know the outcome, just that the game was happening), I'd want to see the Saints completely blow us out in the regular season. Like we just come out looking like complete dog crap but they do everything right and get all the lucky bounces. Then we can make adjustments for the SB game while they haven't seen us execute properly against them yet.

Just checked and the Ravens have a losing record all-time against the Bengals now. Ugh. We also have a losing record against the Steelers though last night's game gets us a little closer. We should be able to get back within 1 game of .500. But if you include the playoffs we're way way behind.

The Ravens have consistently been the third best team in the North when it comes to interdivisional games. This is not good. Pretty sure we had a solid winning record against Bengals when the North first started, too. So they have beaten us soundly.
But
Wow, yeah. We were 8-4 against the Bengals when the North started. Now we are 22-23. That is HORRIBLE. Especially since it's not a situation where like we were bad for 5 years while they were top-notch so gained like 10 games. We have lost 8/10 currently though. That is really, really bad. This HAS to change.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 1, 2018

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I am 80% sure the Ravens will lose to the Browns.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Do you consider penguins birds? If so how do they rank

They're birds. And low, because they don't live here where I can see them.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

For comparison, the Steelers have a 60-35 record against Cincinnati, not even including playoffs which is two more wins.

Since the AFC North started the Ravens are clearly the third place team in the division in terms of wins within the division. This is mostly due to Cincinnati beating the crap out of us regularly. It's embarrassing.

It's weird that we had a 20-0 shutout there a year ago I hardly even remember that that happened. Like one out of every four years, we are ok in Cincinnati. This is why I dread the idea of the Ravens having a playoff game in Cincinnati, which is in SERIOUS DANGER of occurring this year. I have suspected for years that the Ravens would end the Bengals' playoff win drought under these circumstances. It is very important they do not win the division. But I think they will. And if they do, we can't be the team to play them. This would be disastrous for many reasons: We would get the embarrassment of losing to the Bengals in the playoffs, worsening our record against them overall, and on top of that end our own wildcard position perfection.

For Pittsburgh it's improved, but we keep faltering right when we get near or at .500. We can never take the lead. Of course if you put playoffs in we would need a really dominant stretch to get there. We need to win the next game to offset last year. And then a sweep next year I think puts us ahead for maybe the first time in the history of this series.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 2, 2018

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Truly amazing. Do you have any other suspicions?

I have a similar suspicion about the Browns, but it's hard to say because they've never been consistently good since coming back to the league in 1999. So not nearly as strong as the Bengals one.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Bengals have this wrapped up. None of the other teams even close. Unless they piss the bed against Pittsburgh like they often do.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

They're the Bengals, and they will start their slide next week

They play pittsburgh who are kind of lovely. There's flashes of their old selves like today but they are on the decline.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I was more correct today than I usually am. I also think I am correct about the drought situation still.

If we don't score against Tennessee then we have a real situation. It's weird that we could start the year perfect in the red zone then have a drought. We basically got an extra quarter added to our drought today.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ravens schedule is brutal. Win against Tennessee is vital to knock them into the WC contention and maybe force tiebreaker situation. We've still got @them, Saints, @Chiefs, Chargers, @ Panthers, @Atlanta. Plus cincinnati again, Cleveland and Pittsburgh who are sometimes good.

We are good enough to make the playoffs but probably will not.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Browns are probably going to be competitive in the future barring catastrophic career-ending injury for mayfield. This is going to change how this division works big time. I think the Ravens are in major danger of being the new basement team here. Steelers too maybe even. There's a good chance Cleveland will be the dominant team for the next decade or so. Flacco and Roethlisberger will leave and are these teams likely to get someone as good as or better than Mayfield? I don't think so.

It'll be interesting at least. But not good for me as a Ravens fan.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

I think the future is....

1. Browns
2. Ravens
3. Cincinnati
4. Steelers

Browns have Mayfield and Ravens have Lamar. So I think those two are gonna have teams built around them.

We don't know enough about Lamar yet.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

The qb is all that matters

If you have a bad one? it can kill you by itself. It can be hard to find a good one. Ask the Browns.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Browns should fire Hue Jackson if they do not make the playoffs. The Browns are clearly a good team whose record is worse than they actually are and may be the third best team in the whole AFC. He's the only reason the Ravens were even in the game yesterday. He is a bad coach and should be fired if they do not make it this year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Rookie QB isn't the death sentence it was in previous decades. The Ravens are a good defense and they did a pretty good job passing against us. And have been able to put up points so far. I believe that they are third behind KC(who is far and away #1) and Cincinnati. I do not believe in the Patriots or any AFCE team at all I think they are all junk.

Mayfield is better than Blake Bortles and the Jaguars got to the AFCC last year with him.

Also I don't have a hangover, I don't like the Browns just cause they're a divisional rival but it is kind of intriguing to have a 4-team division at long last. Plus them coming off 0-16. So I'm kind of interested in how they do.

I don't get how people are just reacting to them like "the browns lol" it doesn't work that way they addressed a lot of issues especially the QB one. The loss to the Raiders really bad for them. But should have won. Haven't been beaten soundly this year. Only kicking and Jackson are why they are not right up there with Bengals and KC.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 8, 2018

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

browns fans are worse than steelers fans they just never get the opportunity. the afcn has held this evil in check for years but it may finalyl be unleashed upon the world

All fans are worse if their teams are doing good

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

i mean no, ive thought this for years. the browns fans were worse than steelers fans when steelers were winning superbowls and the browns were winning the rights to draft trent richardson with a top 3 pick

How? What do they even do? Are they just really pitiful or something?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

you of all people cannot make me justify my opinions you piece of poo poo. their bad!!

e: a hex upon a man who would quote this with an intent to own

You don't have to justify anything I'm just wondering what they do that's so bad since I'm not sure I've ever even known a Browns fan! I've never been to Ohio either and everyone thinks that's weird when I say it. But ok.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

You like birds right? Well, we got em too

I know you have Magee Marsh or whatever. Lots of people love that place. But it sounds too crowded for my liking. Plus the lakes but I'm more of a songbird guy.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Do you like moths that look like birds because we planted a tobacco plant that apparently attracts giant hummingbird moths but I haven't seen one yet

ooh I love those. I see those here on occasion.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I have a cockatiel, I'm told it's a bird

Yeah but if you have it it doesn't count as having seen it. It can't be captive.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

the titans are lovely unless they beat the ravens then they are Back

The Titans will beat the Ravens. But I saw a crazy early Fox Sparrow today. So i'm happy either way.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Steelers will win the AFC

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

jase1 posted:

My 2 wins are the Browns beating the steelers in 1989, 51-0 I was 12 and Brian Hoyer beating the saints in 2014, 26-24. Browns backers party was great tonight. Got to meet Ernest Byner who was super cool dude. With all the Browns gear it felt like I was back in Cleveland.

I saw two Browns wins in Baltimore, in 2001 and 2002.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Ravens defense will fall apart today.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

lol what the gently caress happened the ravens are missing their best corner and 2 starters on their line for this game

We're done.

But at least if we face them in the SB they won't have seen our best.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

why did you do this to poor marlon and james hurst

I'm sorry. I didn't even know they were hurt

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Our whole pass rush works due to coverage. This is going to be ugly.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

The Ravens Will win

There's no chance now unless we beat them in a shootout.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I have no idea what's up with the Ravens this year or in the future. It's kind of exciting.

We're a good team that's improved from last year by a decent margin but have a hard schedule so it might not show in our final record and we might miss the playoffs because of it. We're like kind of on the cusp of being a really elite team but just not quite there. Hopefully Martindale doesn't get poached after just one year but that will probably end up happening. Feels weird saying that cause I was sure he'd be a disaster.

AFC N probably sends just one team to the playoffs because of tough schedule. Right now I do not think the Ravens will make the playoffs but we are absolutely a team that belongs there. Loss to the Browns not good and looks worse each week. Vital that we win EVERY divisional game coming up. Pittsburgh tiebreakers won't matter due to tie but need to hand them another L.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 22, 2018

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Play posted:

It's actually mostly the opposite I think, the coverage works because of the pass rush. Multiple times in the Titans game free receivers were set loose down the field and Mariota couldn't hit them because of all the pressure and how often the ravens were blitzing. That doesn't work against the saints, they have a good offensive line and Brees is excellent at making defenses pay for bringing pressure. Wasn't a great matchup for the ravens to start with

It really was a pretty even matchup though, definitely not "bad" for the Ravens. We shut down their strong running game really well, kamara basically did nothing. They had strong run D but we're more of a passing team this year. Tennessee game you also have to consider that Mariota was playing hurt, and just isn't all that good to begin with.

We really handled the Saints through three quarters but we broke down in the 4th due to getting tired and missing our best corner. With Humphrey we likely win the game. He's probably like the 1st or 2nd most important guy on the defense. We didn't get to test them much downfield either due to windy conditions. We probably should have tried more though.

We really really should have gone for 2 at the end.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I had said multiple times in the GDT during our last drive that I thought if we got a TD we should go for 2. Also whether "momentum" like you're talking about exists or not, I think it's not necessarily the case that the Ravens had it just because we had scored. We had blown a 10 point 4th quarter lead and they stopped us on 4th. Then they came back and scored another 3 for the very important 7pt lead. There were a couple plays on that last drive of theirs where their player went out of bounds and stopped the clock--had that not happened on those plays we just wouldn't have gotten the ball back. We were lucky to even have a chance. That was probably the second worst quarter of defensive football we've had all season(first was the Cincinnati first quarter). We scored but they were clearly in control of the game still and to me you don't give their offense a 50% chance of getting the ball right back in OT. There's too much of a likelihood that if they win the toss they are going to go right down the field and score a TD based on how they had been playing late and how tired the defense seemed.

Yeah we could fail, but sometimes you just have to call your best play and trust your players to execute. We're going to win or lose the game at some point anyway(barring a tie of course) so might as well take that opportunity when it's right there. If you get the 2 and do the kickoff right(high kick just outside the end zone and stopped at the 30 or before) they have like 18 seconds and 2 timeouts to work with and probably aren't going to win. I'm generally a big proponent of trying for two in those scenarios.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Play posted:

I wasn't watching that game super closely so maybe you're right about momentum. But if they had gone for two and failed you'd be moaning about how Justin Tucker has never missed an extra point and how this team probably doesn't even want to win. Don't lie to me

No I wouldn't have. I admit that I can get pretty reactive at times but it's not about missing the PAT, it's about taking the chance to (very likely) win when you have it right there rather than let variance take over with the OT coin toss. There's certainly scenarios where I would advocate taking the point and sending to OT but when you're against a HoF QB who is catching fire you don't potentially put the ball back in his hands for OT. I'm not annoyed cause I get why you think I'd do that but I am pretty firmly in the camp of going for 2 in that scenario in most cases.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I dreamt last night that the Ravens lost today 39-6.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No Irish Need Imply posted:

So what do my AFCN bros think their teams will target in the draft?

Short of using free agency (which they won't), I see a combo of LB/RT in the first two rounds for the Bengals.

Ravens need a RB badly. Collins doesn't seem to be the answer and Allen for sure isn't. Haven't had a real year-to-year solution there since R*y R*ce

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ty Montgomery probably isn't going to make a difference at all for the Ravens. I guess a seventh is like the least in terms of draft picks that you can give up.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I went birding this morning and found a nice Le Conte's Sparrow. Only my 2nd ever and the 3rd record ever in the county I was in. Probably overshadowed by the poo poo ton of evening grosbeaks that showed up at some other dude's feeders. But still very happy. I've been saying for years I'd like to find a Le Conte's.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AJ Green might be out for the year so congrats Pittsburgh

If that's the case the Ravens might still have an ok chance of getting the last wildcard spot, as long as we beat the Bengals after the bye which of course is no sure thing even without Green. I'm not sure there's any team in the NFL the Ravens could beat right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Lol if you thought anyone other than the Steelers would win the division.

It seems like every other year they are garbage the first couple weeks or so and then turn it on and go on a crazy run. That's why Tomlin is such a great coach. Guess what Harbaugh thinks about the Ravens? He says no adjustments are needed. That's why Harbaugh is a pea-brained dunce and shouldn't be coaching in the NFL and ought to thank his lucky stars he inherited a strong team and just barely didn't f up winning a SB with them. Just like Jon Gruden did in Tampa.